Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Driving from Basel Switzerland to Lucca Italy.

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2009, 04:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be driving from Basel to Lucca and would like to break up the trip by staying overnight along the way. We have 3 young kids and can't do the whole trip in a day. Any suggestions for a cute town with accomodations? Thanks!
Old May 13th, 2009, 10:59 AM

Driving time will be around 7 hours. Right in the middle, you find either Lago di Como or Lago Maggiore - both no. 1 tourist attractions. Lago di Como is more scenic, but Lago Maggiore has Isola Bella - a fantastic piece of architecture and gardening on an island right in the middle of the lake.

If you prefer Lago di Como, you might stay in Cernobbio or drive a little further to Bellagio, the most beautiful town on the lake.

If you prefer Lago Maggiore, you may stay in Baveno or Stresa (from both towns boat depart for the islands).

If you want to stay overnight on the (Italian-speaking) Swiss side, Bellinzona or Lugano are good options.
Old May 13th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your reply. Do you have any suggestions for any hotels you might know in that area that would be good for a family with 3 young kids?
Old May 13th, 2009, 12:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Asco Hotel in Ascona.
Old May 13th, 2009, 12:10 PM

We stayed with our twin boys in a family room at Hotel Rigoli in Baveno. It is a family-owned three-star hotel right on the beach, but in a quiet location. Decent food, very nice bar (when the kids are asleep). Just a short walk to port. I would recommend it. There are of course 4- and 5-star-hotels, too.

www.hotelrigoli.com
Old May 13th, 2009, 12:12 PM

As much as I love both of those lake destinations, neither is really on your route. The best location for you is the Swiss town of Lugano--on the shores of Lago Lugano--but also expensive. If you do not mind a :30 diverion from Lugano then look at the Stella d' Italia hotel in San Mamete on the north shore of Lake Lugano. You can also divert from the big road just north of Lugano to the north end of Lago Maggiore to the town of Locano--or the resort town of Ascona just south of there. I cannot helo with hotels there.
Old May 13th, 2009, 12:26 PM

>>>As much as I love both of those lake destinations, neither is really on your route. <<<

Of course, they are. The fastest way from Basel to Lucca (621km) is thru Sankt Gotthard tunnel. The freeway almost touches Lago di Como. And to Baveno/Stresa it is a very small (and scenic) detour.

Regarding that the OP will probably arrive in the early afternoon and since he/she has a short drive next day, a few minutes sidetrip are not a serious factor. Lugano and Ascona are different in style - classic high-class lakeside resort towns. It's a matter of preferences.
Old May 13th, 2009, 12:57 PM

OK--I stand corrected on the Como proximity--I was thinking of the popular mid-lake region which is an hour diversion via Lugano.