Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Driving from Barcelona to south of France esp Limosin, Dordogne

Driving from Barcelona to south of France esp Limosin, Dordogne

Apr 1st, 2010, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Driving from Barcelona to south of France esp Limosin, Dordogne

Hi We are planning a vacation at the end of Sept. Landing in Barcelona, spending a couple of days and picking up a car. We will be traveling about 2 wks.. Plan to take in some of Languedoc-Roussillon, Limousin-Dordogne and the French Pyrenees. Is that too much for 2 weeks? Recommendations for places to see, especially Lascaux and the area around there. Not interested in big cities, prefer small towns and the mountains. We are experienced travelers and do not like to make reservations. Any assistance is helpful as I am just beginning to plan.
Thanks
Apr 1st, 2010, 01:58 PM

Yes, it's too much to see. But first of all, in case this is your plan, you do not want to pick up a car in Spain and drop it off in France - huge drop-off fee. You won't need a car in Barcelona, so once you're done there, take a train to Toulouse or Bordeaux or even Perpignan or Narbonne. Head north, spending a few days in Languedoc-Rousillon (Carcassone and surrounds), and end up near Sarlat and spend a week there. There are countless threads here on Fodors about the Dordogne and Languedoc-Roussillon - you can do hours of research just reading posts here. There are no mountains in the Dordogne, BTW, just hills. I would forget the Pyrénées for this trip, or else forget the Dordogne or Languedoc.
Apr 6th, 2010, 04:18 PM

Alan:

We're going to start in Barcelona and rent a car the day we leave town. We'll drive up the coast, then head inland to the Dordogne (over a few days). Our friends will meet us in France and rent their own car. For reasons I cannot understand, it is going to be cheaper to rent in Spain than in France -- same car, same agency. So, I agree with StCirq about avoiding one-way country-to-country rental fees, but if you're making a round trip you may find renting in Spain to be a better bargain.
Apr 6th, 2010, 07:33 PM
Original Poster

Hi I'm sorry about the misunderstanding about a 1 way rental. We plan on returning it to barcelona. I'm considering a circuit route. I usually do that when traveling. St.Cirq thanks for letting me know that I'm biting off more than I can chew on this visit. Fortunately I'm able to travel at least yearly. I don't like to be such as it's Tuesday it must be Belgium. we don't travel like that so I really appreciate your advice.
Check with autoeurope for rates. The reason for the difference is the VAT as well as perhaps theft in the autos. We pay more to bring a car from Germany to say Poland
because of theft.

Thank you both for your assistance. I still have some time to figure where I'm going. We've traveled to Israel and Petra Jordan the past couple of years and I am still thinking of
going back to Israel.

Search this Thread