Driving from Barcelona to Provence?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12th, 2007, 12:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would I do better to rent a car and drive to Provence, or would it be better and more economical to take a train to Nimes (for example) and then rent a car? I know nothing about road conditions and rental, gas costs. I checked the Rail Pass web site and it looked like it would cost $166 for 2 people to go by train one way. This seems high to me, but maybe it is less than driving? I am going to be in Barcelona 3 days before leaving, so should I wait until I get there to buy the ticket? any help with the ins and outs of travel would be helpful to me!!
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 12:19 PM

If you pick up a car in Spain and drop it off in France you are looking at paying a hefty drop-off fee (sevceral hundred dollars, likely).

If you take the train you have to change trains at the border (two different sizes of tracks). I wouldn't assume a Rail Pass would be the least expensive option. Check the French Railway site (www.sncf.com) for point-to-point tickets. I'm sure there's a comparable Spanish rail site, too, but I don't know it.
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 01:05 PM

There is two direct trains from Barcelona ("Sants" Station) to Montpellier :

"Talgo"
Barcelona : 8.45 am
Montpellier: 1.16 pm

"Mare Nostrum"
Barcelona : 4.42 pm
Montpellier : 9.09 pm
You don't have to change trains at the border.
It takes longer and is more expensive than driving but you'll save on drop-off fees, gasoline (expensive in France) and highway tolls plus the hassle of driving out of Barcelona.

You could rent a car in Montpellier (which is 50 km from Nîmes).

Old Feb 13th, 2007, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

pvoyageuse, thanks for the train information. In your experience, is it necessary to make train reservations? Does one need to go to the station to make them in person? thanks again,
Old Feb 13th, 2007, 08:59 AM

No, it is not necessary to make train reservations : you can buy your ticket at the station just before leaving.
You can also buy it from any station in Spain.
Since you can't board either train without a reserved seat, the reservation comes with the ticket.

However I'd buy my ticket at least the day before, just to make sure I don't miss the train if I am stuck in a line of 99+ people in front of the ticket office

For more information, see the Spanish Railway (www.renfe.esp) and enter Barcelona to Montpellier. Maybe they have better prices than Rail Pass.