driving from barcelona to madrid in oct

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2012, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my husband and i are planning on driving from barcelona to madrid in oct. can anyone please suggest a scenic route and/or interesting places to stop along the way?

thanks so much!
Old Aug 26th, 2012, 06:54 AM

Boring! Enough said!
Old Aug 26th, 2012, 07:15 AM

You do not say how long you have for this journey.
This is a six hour non stop journey of general tedium. If you deviate or stop to see anywhere and to do justice to wherever, like Zaragossa, it will make for a very long day.
Why car, why not train?
Old Aug 26th, 2012, 07:22 AM
P_M

Will you have the car to drive all around Spain or are you only visiting Barcelona and Madrid? I recently traveled to Spain and we entertained the idea of driving from Barcelona to Madrid but we soon realized it makes no sense. The train cost about the same and it was far more relaxing. Futhermore the train goes from one city center to the other so there is no worry about picking up the car and returning it.

We also looked into flying and once again, the train is more practical. Security at the train station is not nearly as annoying as what you will experience at the airport, and once again you will go to/from both city centers.

Unless you are taking a road trip throughout Spain I hope you will seriously reconsider driving and look into the AVE.
Old Aug 26th, 2012, 07:26 AM

If you have one or two nights to spend on the drive, there will be scenic options, for example via Valencia or a more rural route via Teruel or Cuenca.
The latter takes quite some time, at least two nights on the road. The alternative via Valencia is very easy to drive, and would require just one night. You won't see really much of Valencia, more an appetizer, but that's not always bad I guess.

The direct route via Zaragoza is maybe not scenic but quite impressive if you like deserts and lunar landscapes and bizarre rock formations. But it's not a route for idyllic vistas.

Regardless where you plan to go eventually, check your route on viamichelin.com to get an estimate on gas and road tolls. The latter are not to be neglected in Spain, it sure can add up and make the train a cheaper alternative. It's the faster one anyway.
Old Aug 26th, 2012, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

thanks so much for all your helpful responses!