Driving from Amsterdam to Paris

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20th, 2004, 06:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, no trains are running between Amsterdam and Paris on the weekend we need to get back to Paris for our flight home (Sept. 11-12). We can either take a 7-11 a.m. train back to Paris on Sept. 13 and hope to catch our 2 p.m. flight, or we can rent a car and leave A'dam on Sept. 12. We're leaning toward the latter.

I tried autoeurope.com, but they don't rent cars for that route (or none are available). Hertz and Budget are quoting 50-60E for one day, which is fine. But can anyone recommend any other cheap car rental companies?

Also, has anyone done this drive? We would most likely pick up the car in downtown Amsterdam and drop it off at CDG, instead of trying to navigate through Paris.

Thanks for your help!
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 06:28 PM
Original Poster

Forgot to mention--the reason no trains are running is because of construction. I ordered tickets via Raileurope, then they emailed me today to tell me the great news. ;(
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 06:36 PM

Why do you say no trains are running on Sept 12..? I pulled up www.ns.nl and can see offering for several departures...
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 06:38 PM

Sorry, you posted the same time I did...
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 06:43 PM

Why don't you try calling the Dutch Railway office? I'm sure someone speaks English; there is a per-minute charge but at least you could confirm that the route is closed. And if there is construction, where is it? Between Ams-Brussels, or between Brussels-Paris? Can you route around it?
call Teleservice NS Internationaal: +31 (0)900 92 96 (€ 0.35 per minute). You can pay by giro collection card, credit card (EuroCard, MasterCard, VISA or American Express). . . Teleservice NS Internationaal is open Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. and on Saturday, Sunday and public holidays from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
Old Aug 20th, 2004, 07:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the resource! In the email from Raileurope, they did say that we could travel from Amsterdam to Cologne and from Cologne to Paris on Sept. 12, but the whole trip would take over eight hours, and I'm assuming driving would be much shorter...
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 04:14 AM
ira

www.mappy.com says it's a 5 hr drive.
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 04:39 AM

strass,

According to the Dutch railways' web site (expanations in Dutch only ) the situation is the following:

- Thalys trains to/from Paris will terminate in Brussels or Antwerp

- From Amsterdam, you will need to take the normal hourly IC trains to Antwerp/Brussels. These will require you to take a replacement bus service for the portion between Breda and Rosendaal stations.

In summary, a royal PIA!

If it's affordable, just rent a car - it's an easy drive, especially if you drop the car at CDG. 5 hours sounds about right.

These are the major car rental firms in Europe:
Alamo/National
Avis
Budget
Europcar
Hertz
Sixt
I would try them all - make sure the one-way drop charge and unlimited miles are included in the quote.

Hope this helps,
Andre
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 04:44 AM

dependant on how you drive, you can make it to cdg from amsterdam in about 4.5 hours on very good roads all the way.

the hertz deal sounds good and you'll be saving some money over the trainfare. there is a hertz agency on overtoom very close to the a10 ring.

if you depart early enough, you should have no problem making your flight even leaving on the 13th.

mind you, this is merely an option, not necessarily a suggestion. if you want to be absolutely assured, take the train on the 13th.
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 04:46 AM

Andre, if I may piggy-back a bit, I have already purchased and printed Thalys tickets for October 12, Ams-Paris. Can you read if my trip will be interrupted in any way by Oct. 12? Thank you. (Perhaps I should take my own advice and call NS..?)
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 04:53 AM

Travelnut,

Rest assured, this is an exceptional disruption on the weekend of Sept 11-12 only. Thalys would not load a train into the reservations system if it weren't running - this disruption is also explicitly mentioned on their website (thaly.com).

Since you booked electronically, I am sure Thalys/SNCF would contact you directly by e-mail in the event of any short term disruption.

Hope this helps,
Andre
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 04:54 AM

oops, the website is of course www.thalys.com

Andre
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 05:11 AM

Thank you.
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 06:30 AM

It's a 5 hour drive if you don't make a wrong turn and get lost. I've done that.
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

Thanks SO much for all your help (esp. Andre!). I do think we're leaning more toward renting a car (the day before our flight, just to be safe). We drove around Ireland a few years ago and we live in Chicago, so we're pretty good drivers. I'm glad to hear the A'dam-Paris route is fairly easy.

I did notice that Hertz had an office in Overtoom--wasn't sure where that was. But people think that would be a convenient pick-up location?

Do you all agree that taking the 7 am train on the day of our 2 pm flight would be cutting it close? I haven't completely ruled out the idea, but we'd have to grab a taxi to CDG the very minute the train arrived at Nord, that's for sure...
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 08:03 AM
ira

>Do you all agree that taking the 7 am train on the day of our 2 pm flight would be cutting it close?<

I do.
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 02:23 PM

strass,

I wouldn't advise taking the 6:56 Thalys arriving at Paris Gare du Nord at 11:05 - you would either have to take a cab (risk of a long queue and/or traffic jams) or trek over to the RER to reach CDG.

However, I would consider taking the normal train leaving Amsterdam at 6:23 to Brussels Midi (arrival 9:14) and connecting there at 9:25 to the TGV going straight to CDG with an arrival at 11:19 - though probably only if my flight were leaving from CDG 2. One issue though: you only have an 11 minute layover at Brussels Midi - doable, but tight if you have lots of luggage.

If you do decide to go that route, reserve the TGV portion only on
www.sncf.com
Choose ticket pickup in France and prepay. You will either be able to print your tickets out right away at home if you snag a discounted "Prem's" fare. If not, you can pick them up at any train station or Boutique SNCF in France. The tickets for the Amsterdam-Brussels portion can be bought at any time in the Netherlands as the train does not require seat reservations.

Still, I would probably drive if a car rental were affordable. I hate waking up at the crack of dawn!

Hope this helps,
Andre
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 02:58 PM

Just wanted to add that I did a test booking on the SNCF for the Brussels-CDG TGV on Sept. 13 and there are still Prem's fares available at EUR 45 per person. As mentioned, you can print out your ticket at home upon completing your booking.

It appears that an Amsterdam-Brussels ticket costs EUR 32.40, so a total cost of EUR 57.40 per person for the trip.

Hope this helps,
Andre
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 03:24 PM
Original Poster

We're in a quandary, that's for sure. I can't find a car rental for less than $350, because of the one-way drop-off fees. We just can't justify spending all that money for a car for six hours. So we've pretty much decided to take the Monday morning train and hope for the best.

I didn't know about that TGV train to the airport--I'm just afraid that if the first train is delayed and we miss the second train, we'll really be up a creek. A nonstop train seems safer to me.

We're flying American Airlines--not sure if that's CDG 2 or not?

How long will it take a cab to reach the airport from Gare du Nord, about an hour?

(ps. I hate waking up early, too--and what a long day that will be!)
Old Aug 21st, 2004, 03:34 PM

Hey there,

Driving is definitely not the answer. Bad luck with the timing.

Do the NS 06.23 train, and transfer in Brussels to the TGV going directly to CDG. You'll enjoy the journey more (& might even get some sleep) . . . .

While you're on board the NS train, ask the conductor which track the TGV will leave from -- they will know, and they'll reassure you that you can make the connection in time. BTW the last time I had breakfast in the bar carriage of a TGV, it was extremely pleasant. Their coffee could wake the dead * ) it'll be a good last memory of your Europe trip.

HTH and let us know how things go.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -