Search

Driving Fūssen to Hechingen

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2018, 05:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Driving Fūssen to Hechingen

Hello Fodorites,

I’m planning another foray into Europe; Germany - Munich, Bavaria, and the Allgäu and could use some advice from those of you familiar with this region. Dear Daughter and I (early 30s / 50s) will fly into Munich on December 14, heading home on the 24th from same. The focus of this trip is castles/palaces in the mornings, Christmas markets in the afternoons and evenings. Since we only have 8 full days on the ground (not including arrival day) making the best use of our time is paramount. With that goal in mind, I’m considering renting a car in Fūssen, to visit Wieskirche, Linderhof and Oberammergau. The next morning then driving to Schloss Hohenzollern near Hechingen, finally returning the car at the Stuttgart airport that afternoon. Fūssen or Oberammergau to Hechingen is 6 hours by train, then we would have to take the bus to the castle. Drive time Fūssen to Schloss Hohenzollern is 3 hours on Google maps. I found drive times from Google Maps to be pretty accurate in Scotland. My questions are: 1) Has anyone driven this route before? 2) Is the drive time accurate? 3) What are the likely road conditions? I’m not asking anyone to try and forecast weather conditions. No one knows what the weather will be until we wake up and look outside that day.

Please note, I lived in Alaska for 16 years. I drove the Alcan in December. I’ve crossed the Rockies multiple times, driving with just myself and small kids. I once drove from Salt Lake City to Butte Montana in a snowstorm. I’m not afraid of winter driving. HOWEVER, I have a healthy respect for how badly things can go wrong. Are the roads between Oberammergau and Hechingen well paved, well sign-posted, two (or more) lanes? Or is this a one lane country road with likely low maintenance, no guardrails, and hairpin turns?

I appreciate any information you can share.
Old May 8th, 2018, 09:09 AM

You can choose between 4 different itineraries. One of them is almost all by motorway (except the last few miles). Driving time is about 3 hrs on all 4 itineraries.
By train, you can do Ulrichsbruecke-Fuessen - Hechingen in 4 1/2 hrs, with 4 changes. Most trains take 5 1/4 hrs, however.
Old May 8th, 2018, 09:57 AM

1) Yes. 2) It depends on the weather and traffic conditions, but on average 3 hours should be okay. 3) The German autobahn and road network is one of the densest in the world. The freeways and roads are well maintained, snow is removed as soon as possible. There is a low chance of snow at that time of the year in that region. You could at least take five routes from Füssen/Oberammergau to Hechingen.
I would do it like this: (A=Autobahn/Freeway), B= Bundesstraße/Federal Highway)
Take A7 from Füssen in the direction of Ulm. Leave the motorway at exit #127 (Berkheim). Drive on B312 via Biberach to Riedlingen. Before Riedlingen turn left onto B311. Then follow the signs to Sigmaringen (B32). Time permitting you could have a look at Sigmaringen Castle (it's rather a palace). Follow
B32 via Gammertingen to Hechingen. Turn left onto B 27. After about 5 kms leave B 27 for Hohenzollern Castle.
After leaving the autobahn at Berkheim there are Bundesstraßen/roads with only one lane in each direction. But in that region this shouldn't be a problem.
Old May 9th, 2018, 03:20 PM
Original Poster

Swabian, thank you for the suggested itinerary and reassurances about German road conditions. None of the Google suggested routes dip as far South as Sigmaringen. The southern most Google route continues through Riedlingen on the B312 onto the B360 through Thanheim and Zimmern. Is there a reason to avoid this route?

Neckervd, thank you for the suggested train itinerary from Ulrichsbruecke-Fuessen . All my searches on Bahn.de from Fuessen transited through Munich and Stuttgart and were 5.5-6 hours. I'll keep that route in mind. I'm still not positive about the rental car. I'll continue to post as I plan this trip and will definitely be posting a trip report when we return. The planning and then writing the trip report just extend the fun!

Do you have any suggestions on a good gastehaus in Fuessen, Stuttgart, or Munich? I think I have a couple good choices if we decide to stay a night in Oberammergau.

Thanks again.

Lynda
Old May 10th, 2018, 10:00 AM

Hi Lynda,

You might ask where my expertise comes from. There is a simple answer: I'm a native of Upper Swabia, the region we are talking about.
Why is the alternative Riedlingen to Sigmaringen better than the other ones? Riedlingen to Gammertingen directly is a count(r)y road, wheras Riedlingen to Gammertingen via Sigmaringen is partly a 3lane federal highway, i.e. there are stretches with 2 lanes in one direction and 1 lane in the other direction. These stretches take turns. Advantage: you can pass slower vehicles like trucks and busses easily.
I have looked at the suggestions made by Google, Michelin etc. They hardly make sense, because two alternatives make you drive through Ulm, where there is a high risk of 'Stau', a famous German word meaning traffic jam. The least sensible suggestion is A 7 to Ulm and then A 8 in the direction of Stuttgart and then B 27 south to Hechingen. They are autobahns or autobahn-like highways. This seems to be an advantage, but the computer doesn't
know there is tremendous traffic on the A 8 between Ulm and Stuttgart and a part of it going down the Swabian Jura is very steep. It belongs to the stretches that Hitler had built. Sudden snowfall often causes a chaos there, because some trucks and cars have inadequate tyres and get stuck.
Old May 10th, 2018, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

Swabian, thanks so much, that’s exactly the kind of info and context a native can bring to the conversation. A steep descent in winter is definitely what I’m looking to avoid!

I’ll be reviewing options with DD this weekend and make a decision on whether or not to rent the car. Regardless your comments have provided much needed insight into the route and I really appreciate you taking the time to come back and answer my questions. I’ll post back here when we decide on an itinerary.

Thank you again!
Old May 15th, 2018, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Just an update, we decided to go ahead and rent the car to visit Wieskirche, Oberammergau, Linderhof, and Hohenzollern. If the weather takes a turn for the worse and dumps a bunch of snow just before or on our driving day, we’ll change plans and take the train.Our draft itinerary:

Saturday, 15 December – arrive Munich, train to Fuessen, Christmas market if we’re still conscious

Sunday, 16 December – Ludwig’s Castles, Fuessen and Christmas market

Monday, 17 December – Pick up rental car from Fuessen train station, drive to Wieskirche then Linderhof. Return to Oberammergau for the afternoon and spend the night there.

Tuesday, 18 December – Drive to Burg Hohenzollern then return the car at the Stuttgart Airport. Train to Stuttgart, this will be our base for three nights.Stuttgart Christmas Market.

Wednesday, 19 December – Train to Ludwigsburg – visit palace and Christmas Market

Thursday, 20 December – Train to Esslingen, store bags in station lockers? Visit Medieval city center and Christmas Market – continue by train to Munich.
Friday, 21 December – Marienplatz, Residenz, Christmas Market

Saturday, 22 December – Historic churches, Christmas Market, other shopping

Sunday, 23 December– Nymphenburg, Christmas Market (plans may change based on what is open this day)

Monday, 24 December – Depart Munich

Thanks again for your valuable assistance regarding train and driving routes. I’ll be posting more questions on other posts as they come up.

Last edited by LyndaM12; May 15th, 2018 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Formating