Driving directions to Granada Hotel

Old Apr 24th, 2001, 06:17 AM
Kathy

Driving directions to Granada Hotel

Help! We will be arriving into Malaga (airport) and driving to our hotel in Granada. I'm sure I'll have no problem getting to the city, but once there, I am having trouble getting directions to our hotel (HOtel America). Can anyone help? Maribel, are you out there?

Also, we will be arriving into Malaga at 4pm so hopefully, none of the driving will be at night. How long does it take to get from Malaga to Grananda?

Thanks in advance,

Kathy

Old Apr 24th, 2001, 09:14 AM
Maribel

Kathy,
Taking the quicker inland route (N331 to A359 to A92 through Loja), it should take about 1 1/2 or a bit more from when you leave Malaga airport to the outskirts of Granada. When approaching Granada, you will want to AVOID downtown Granada entirely and instead head up to the Alhambra hill on the CARRETERA de CIRCUNVALACION (just follow the blue starred signs indicating the Alhambra). This "beltway" will skirt around the city (please do not venture into the maze that is downtown if you can avoid it!), and it will take you straight up and around to the area where you'll see the huge parking lot for the Alhambra below you. Don't go into it but instead continue past it (it will be on your right), and down the hill a bit until you come to a sign on the right directing you to the Parador (you'll pass the Manual de Falla center and the entrance to the Alhambra Palace hotel on your left. Follow the Parador sign, and you'll see the America right before the Parador. The Parador is just above the America. The America doesn't have its own parking in front as the Parador does, but you can drop off the luggage, and then go back to the Alhambra parking lot or wherever the desk staff indicate. (We just parked in the Alhambra lot upon arrival and left our car there the whole time).
Right now I'm working without my detailed city map or the Andalucia Michelin one. I'll try to post more specific info later. You can see the driving route Malaga-Granada and get the detailed driving instructions, mileage at
www.michelin-travel.com
Hope this helps.

Old Apr 24th, 2001, 04:40 PM
MaureenGP

Dear Kathy: Just in case you have a problem, even with Maribel's excellent directions, you might want to do what we did--hire a taxicab to guide us to the hotel. Granada is an extremely confusing city, so we found a taxi driver, settled on a price, and he lead us to the gate. In fact, we did the same thing leaving Granada!

Old Apr 24th, 2001, 05:07 PM
Thanh

Dear Maribel,
Thanks a trillion for the file of Madrid. Granada sounds like a must for all tourists to visit. Thanks for the direction to get there. We have not booked a hotel yet, is the end of June a busy month and should we book now? What hotel would you recommend? I read that the Parador de San Francisco is expensive and must book far in advance. Is one day a good visit to Alhambra?
Thanks Maribel,
Thanh

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 11:27 AM
Kathy

Maribel,

Thank you so much for your fantastic directions. I knew you'd come through for me ;>. This is great and Maureen, that's a great idea too in case we run into trouble.

Thanks again. I'll probably have more questions as our departure date draws near (May 14th).

Old Apr 25th, 2001, 03:07 PM
Maribel

Hi all,
To Maureen: it was really nice meeting you, your husband and your lovely daughter on our flight to Madrid, and I've really enjoyed reading your posts about your adventures last summer!
To Kathy,
Maureen's suggestion is a terrific one. We've hailed a taxi ourselves when we've been trapped in one of those confounding Moorish mazes that are part and parcel of the inner core of all Andalusian cities!
To Thanh,
Please book ASAP! You may have trouble finding a room at the Parador. Yes, it's quite pricey and always heavily booked, but it may be worth the one-time splurge to you. Make sure you have dinner on the terrace one night. It's a magical, unforgetable inexperience with fine food and attentive service. Check www.paradores.es and call their Central Reservatons desk in Madrid directly or send them an email today! Also, the quaint, sweet Hotel America may be completely booked as well. These two on the Alhambra grounds and the very nice, comfortable 4 star Alhambra Palace are extremely popular. We snagged a last- minute room at the Alhambra Palace last June after moving from our very so-so lodgings in the Albaicin. At the A. Palace we were given a rm in the turret, overlooking the p. lot (the only one available) and while the view wasn't memorable (rms on the other side have lovely views), we really enjoyed our stay there, before our night at the America. Cost was 24,000 pts. Check www.alhambra-palace.com
I much prefer to spend my Granada days and nights on the Alhambra hill, but for a comfortable, reasonable and nicely renovated place in the noisy downtown area, you might try the NH Inglaterra. Check at www.nh-hoteles.es Friends of ours hailed a taxi last yr to be guided to the Inglaterra after 2 hrs. of frustration.
Other Fodorites recommend the Reina Cristina downtown near the Plaza Bib-Ramblas.
I like to dedicate two nights to Granada. We arrive farily late the first day, go to the Parador for drinks and a leisurely dinner, then the next day we enter at 9 a.m. before the arrival of the hundreds of tour busses, take a late lunch break at 2:30-3 in the couryard of the America, then after a rest, we take the jitney down to the Cathedral and Capilla Real, then at sunset walk down the Darro and up to the Mirador de San Nicolas for stunning views, then back up the Alhambra hill to the Alhambra Palace for our second evening's dinner, then maybe a walk down to the Campo del Principe for a nightcap, then depart early the next morning.
Hope this helps.
Maribel