Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Driving Directions / Times for Driving in Croatia, and October weather (Dalmatian Coast)

Driving Directions / Times for Driving in Croatia, and October weather (Dalmatian Coast)

Oct 16th, 2006, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Driving Directions / Times for Driving in Croatia, and October weather (Dalmatian Coast)

I usually use Mappy and/or Mapquest to get driving directions and times for European trips ... but neither seems to offer this for Croatia? Can anyone suggest any other good map websites for this information? (Specifically, I'm trying to estimate approximately how long to expect in driving times between Zagreb and Plitvice Lakes, then between Plitvice and Dubrovnik). Also, I'm trying to find out what to expect the weather to be on the Dalmation coast in October ... we think that to fully enjoy that region we'd like to be there in mainly warm and sunny weather ... could we expect it to be sunny and warm enough to enjoy short sleeve and sandals weather (which for us cold-blooded Canadians would be 20 degrees Celsius or more)? I do know that September would be a better choice for this but unfortunately that won't be an option for us.
Oct 16th, 2006, 09:46 AM

Try www.viamichelin.com. I found its estimates to be accurate for driving times in Croatia. By the way, it is quite a long drive from Plitvice to Dubrovnik, if you don't break it up. I might consider flying from Zagreb or Split to Dubrovnik as an alternative. The Split-Dnik drive is beautiful, but it is long and very twisty-- I was glad we flew, rather than drove, on the way back. Good luck!
Oct 16th, 2006, 12:58 PM

We just returned from Croatia last week after 17 days. It was so stunning - you will be sure to love it. We rented a car the entire time except when we were in Dubrovnik when it was entirely unnecessary. We initially flew from London to Zagreb. We then dropped off the car in Dubrovnik at the end of the holiday and flew from there to Zagreb - very cheap.

We, too, are Canadians and found it to be quite hot (but then we have lots of snow on the ground at the moment). The temps were about 24 C (about 15-18 C at night). We only wore light jackets one evening - that is it. We also swam there in October (last swimming date October 7) and found it pleasantly warm. We wore our walking sandals each day except one - while at Plitvice Lakes it rained.

I personally would have no qualms about going in October in the least!!
Oct 16th, 2006, 01:12 PM

Hi
I'm sorry I can't help you out with the weather, we were there in the end of sept. However, we had a good map of Croatia. It was published by freytag & berndt and it's Yugoslavia, Slovenia and Croatia. We found it very helpful. we traveled from slovenia into Croatia. From Istria trogir and return. The map, I'm sure is outadated as they were building an expressway along the coast at that time. We traveled on a 2-4 lane. If you buy a map check the publishing date. We were able to get it in the US at Barnes&Noble. I can also recommend the Footprints Guide to Croatia. Very well written. It's a beautiful country enjoy your trip.

Search this Thread