Driving Croatia, Montenegro & Albania

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 30th, 2016, 04:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone out there have any advise or tips for driving through Croatia, Montenegro and Albania?
We are starting in Zagreb and finishing at the Albanian/ Greek border. We have about 7 weeks.
How is the albanian road network?
Old Jan 30th, 2016, 09:02 PM
kja

1. Drive defensively! IME (which is, admittedly, limited), Croatian and Montenegrin drivers can be surprisingly aggressive. (I haven't traveled in Albania yet.)

2. Do NOT assume that you can "drive as locals drive" and so pick your speeds up to meet theirs, etc. (a) If they really are local -- and they might not be -- then they will know EXACTLY where to step on the brakes, begin their turns, etc., and it is literally impossible for you to match that, as you would have to see what they did, make sense of it, and only then react. (b) Most accidents, anywhere, happen close to home, so the fact that "locals" are doing so does NOT make it safe.

3. Consult viamichelin.com and Michelin Green Guides.

Enjoy!
Old Jan 31st, 2016, 05:19 AM

Are you comfortable with road signs in the Cyrillic alphabet?

Are you used to common sign symbols (no parking, no entry, one way, pedestrian only, no passing, speed limit?)
Old Feb 1st, 2016, 02:15 PM

All three countries (and the short strip of Bosnia you might be passing through) use Latin alphabets, so Cyrillic will not be a problem. Traffic signs are also similar to other European countries, so if you're familiar with those it shouldn't present a problem.

Are you doing the trip in your own car or a rental car? If it's a rental car, make sure you're allowed to cross into all of the countries and if you plan on dropping it off outside of the country of rental, it will be very expensive. Also, since you'll be travelling down the Dalmatian coast you will almost certainly want to visit some of the numerous islands along the coast - make sure the rental company allows taking the car on a ferry.

If you're doing it in your own car, make sure you have the necessary insurance papers to drive in these countries. You will almost certainly need a document, referred to as a "green card" - your car insurer should be able to provide one for you.

As for the road network - Croatia is a breeze but once you reach Montenegro things slow down considerably, there is lots of traffic but no fast highways, the main road down the coast goes through the centre of every single seaside resort town, so take your time when driving there. Potholes can be a problem in Albania, although I hear they are becoming rarer nowadays. Border crossings are fine but waiting times on the Croatian-Montenegrin border can be horrendous in the high season. As kja said, drivers can be dangerous on the windy roads as they are familiar with the conditions and drive considerably faster than you will be comfortable with. My friends from the mountains of Slovenia told me that what they appreciate the most (and what very few non-locals do) is if you're holding people up - and you will be at one point, they drive like crazy - just stop on the roadside and let them pass.
Old Feb 1st, 2016, 06:46 PM
kja

"My friends from the mountains of Slovenia told me that what they appreciate the most (and what very few non-locals do) is if you're holding people up - and you will be at one point, they drive like crazy - just stop on the roadside and let them pass."

By all means!!!
Old Feb 2nd, 2016, 02:53 AM

Quite right on Cyrillic, Kja.

I was confusing signs on trucks and buildings,

Not a hurdle, OP, but do learn standard European road signs if you are not a standard European. They are often confusing to Americans.
Old Feb 2nd, 2016, 05:47 PM
kja

Thanks, Ackislander, but I think your praise should go to rtt0921.
Old May 28th, 2016, 11:36 AM

Does anyone know of a driver to take us from Venice Airport, through Trieste, Slovenia, and then to Split?
Old May 28th, 2016, 12:16 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
distrauss: You probably should start a new thread of your own - this one is old and about self-drive