Reload this Page >

Start in Nice, end up in Zurich...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18th, 2001, 09:47 AM
Beth Anderson

Hi all, <BR> <BR>I am starting to poke around the internet and bookstores for my summertime travel plans. I've given thought to a variety of possibilities for solo travel, now, I think I may be having a friend or two go with me... so I am considering some other places to see. (my first thought, solo, was head to Tuscany and find one place to stay for a week - ten days, with little day trips, cooking classes, etc etc... the idea has morphed a bit, if I indeed have companions). <BR> <BR>so, here goes: <BR> <BR>I have not been back to Switzerland in 8 years or so. My loosely forming plans would entail me and friend(s) starting/ending in Nice and Zurich (or somewhere else in Switzerland)... and touring the countryside in between - meandering, nothing ambitious like packing up EVERY morning to hit the road... <BR> <BR>my questions: (bear in mind that I will also be researching this on my own, I just thought someone might know this off the top of their heads) <BR> <BR>1. roughly how many miles is there between those two cities - it does not seem too ambitious for a ten day trip, is it? <BR> <BR>2. I think we are going to play it by ear as to the actual route we take to get to Switzerland - either an arc through Provence, or, an arc through northern Italy. (also dependent on what we each see that we would like to visit...) does anyone have any suggestions, favorites, etc? <BR> <BR>3. this would be a LOT of looping around - but how much driving are we asking for if we do head first to the Italian Riviera before doubling back to Provence then up into the Berner Oberland? would this turn a ten day trip into a marathon... <BR> <BR>we have very similar tastes - both amateur photography nuts (accent on the 'nuts' , like to bike, hike, meet new people, visit museums... open to a lot of things, actually. <BR> <BR>I am envisioning visiting mostly countryside, maybe some small cities such as a day in Nice to see a couple of museums before taking off... but a lot of walking/hiking and even some biking. a winery or two would be great too... neither of us are 'sit on the beach all day' kinda people - but we do like beaches... (who doesn't?) <BR> <BR>thank you for sharing your experiences with me! <BR> <BR>Beth

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 07:41 AM
Beth Anderson

sorry to be obnoxious - anyone have any comments?

Old Mar 19th, 2001, 09:01 AM
Rex

This may (once again) get some people to think that I am trying to "drum up" business - - for a business that I do NOT have - - but I would love to see your idea(s) become the nucleus of a "Fodorites trip" - - and I would definitely be interested in participating. Any other interested parties? <BR>

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 10:24 AM
nancy

Beth, <BR>To a first timer, like me, to europe, it sounds like you will be covering a lot of territory, but I have to keep in mind how small some of the countries are. <BR>I think Switzerland would be a lovely place to visit. <BR>And since your plans could be more fluid than some, you could cut out places, if you decide to spend more time elsewhere. <BR> <BR>There is one really neat trip that I wish I could do this time around, and it involves a train ride from Switzerland through the Bernini Pass, down into torino , Italy. <BR>The train is operated by the Swiss Rhaetian Railway. <BR>The train departs from either Chur or St. Moritz and then goes to Torino, (and obviously , the reverse would be true )These two towns in Switerzerland are on the far east section of the country, tucked between Austria and Italy.You might know that already, but I had to look it up!! <BR> <BR>I found about about this when someone recommended the Nat. Geo Traveler magazine about Roman Holiday (july 2000) <BR>It lists "World Class, 10 Great Rail Trips " and it really sounds spectacular! <BR>The trip takes about 3-4 hrs, depending on where you get on, and goes through the Bernina Pass, at one point the train making a 360 degree spiral , that gives one the illusion of traveling through mid-air.!!! <BR> <BR>So, anyway Bet, not much help here on concrete plans, but I think you adventure sounds fun, and I would definitely check out that train ride. <BR>If you want more info let me know. <BR>They have a site for reservations, but I do not know if the site gives one info too. <BR>www.rhb.ch <BR>Have fun planning!

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 01:04 PM
nancy

Topping for Beth, <BR>any "switzerland" freaks out there with good advice? <BR>Beth's plan sounds interesting, is it doable? <BR>I am curious too , to see if anyone has any good input. <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 02:03 PM
s

Beth, <BR> <BR>I love your idea. It reminds me that Tina Turner, who apparently has residences in Nice and in Zurich, has said that the drive from Nice to Zurich (or vice versa) was her favorite drive in the world. You'll have to take very good notes. <BR> <BR>Anyway, as for your itinerary, I see two great options. I can see Nice - Genova-Milan-Como-Berner Oberland-Lucerne-Zurich as one option, then Nice-Avignon-Lyon-Annecy-Montreux-Berner Oberland-Lucerne-Zurich as the other. I personally love Montreux and the Lake Geneva region and would definitely put it on this itinerary. As for the rest, I don't think it'll be worth it to double back from Italy to Provence . . . but that's just me! Have you crunced the mileage numbers yet? I hope you keep us updated as you progress with your plans. <BR> <BR>FYI, I'm planning something like this for one trip in the near future . . . flying into Marseille, driving around Provence and the Haute Savoie, then ending in Montreux. So please please do take notes! <BR> <BR>s

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 02:08 PM
Rex

S - - <BR> <BR>What month? Any interest in joining forces? <BR> <BR>

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 02:18 PM
s

Rexy, <BR>(sorry -- I feel like old friends here) <BR> <BR>"Near" future may have been misleading. And ambitious. I'm tentatively thinking of fall 2002. However, sure, I can do a road trip! If you don't get there before August 2002, we can put our heads together and pool our resources. I'd like to see Provence (Laison la Romaine or St. Remy), Aix-les-Bains, Grenoble, & Annecy before settling in Montreux. <BR> <BR>s

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 02:36 PM
Rex

I'll put that in my mental file. <BR>

Old Mar 20th, 2001, 04:26 PM
Andrea

It is definitely doable. My husband and I were planning a 10-full-day vacation in Switzerland over Christmas and New Years, but when we arrived, discovered that EVERYTHING is basically closed in Switzerland during that time. So, we arrived in Zurich in the evening, decided that since it was (beautiful but) deserted, we'd just pick a place on the map and head off. <BR> <BR>We spent one night in Zurich, then 2 days in Milan, then one night in Genoa (never again), then 3-ish days in Nice/Monte Carlo, then went up to Geneva and finally back to Zurich. <BR> <BR>In terms of distances, it's hard to remember that each of the cities mentioned are only a couple of hours away by train. Coming from the midwest, where the nearest other city was several hours away by car, city-to-city distances on the map can seem far, but remember to look at the scale on the map! <BR> <BR>Our trip may sound too hectic for some, but since we scrapped our itinerary, we were just changing locations when we wanted to. We'd explore a town at leisure, have lunch or dinner, and then decide if we'd like another day in this town or to head off to another in the morning. It was very low key and fun. <BR> <BR>We were jet lagged & waking up quite early in the morning, which worked out great in every city, since we'd wake up around 6, take the early train, and be at our destination by 10. The train system in that part of Europe is so extensive, frequent, and cheap, that you could do your easy meandering either by car or by train.

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 04:05 AM
nancy

Andrea, <BR>What do you mean by "everything" was closed over the Christmas-New Year period? <BR>Restuarants, museums, art galleries, shops? <BR>Or is ti just that this is more of a family time and there is less going on! <BR>I would think that this would be a busy, festive time of year there? <BR>Thanks for your reply, if you see this. <BR>I am very curious.

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 04:32 AM
Andrea

We arrived in Zurich around 5 p.m. on December 23rd. We went right out for a walk around town around the station and the Bahnhofstrasse. <BR> <BR>In a 2 hour walk, we probably saw 30 people. No cars. All stores and restaurants were closed. It was beautiful, but an absolute ghost town. Many of the signs on the doors indicated that they would be closed until Jan. 3 or even Jan. 8. <BR> <BR>So, we took off for Milan and France. When we made it to Geneva, the two things we wanted to see were CERN and the UN. Both closed from before Christmas until Jan 3 or 8, as was the Red Cross museum. The stores and restaurants in Geneva were open. We arrived in Zurich again on Dec. 31. The bars and restaurants were still open (as was a movie theater, thank God), but still no shops. Many reopened on Jan 3, just in time for our noon flight. We were up first thing in the morning to hit a few shops to grab gifts and souveniers before we headed home. <BR> <BR>We, too, had been expecting the sort of festive shopping atmosphere one finds in the states around Christmas, but it was absolutely NOT like that. We thought it would be sort of festive and fun, and the pictures of the Bahnhofstrasse at night with all the twinkly lights looked so wonderful! It was beautiful, but there were NO people, and no shops open. We surmised that it's because Swiss people like to take the holiday season to spend with their families, not to shop. ???

Old Mar 21st, 2001, 09:10 AM
nancy

Andrea, thanks for clarifing. <BR>Still amazinf so much would be closed. <BR>Glad you were able to put together a pleasant trip for yourself, anyway. <BR>This is a good heads up for the rest of us. <BR> <BR>Now! anymore good suggestions for Beth? <BR>Her trip sounds very interesting too, ans since I know so little about that part of Europe, It would be pleasant to see what others come up with! <BR>

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 05:33 AM
Beth Anderson

Thanks Nancy, you are too sweet! <BR> <BR>Thank you everyone for your comments! <BR> <BR>"S" - I will take very good notes, promise. and I will actually post something when I get back (my anticlimactic Venice at New Years trip report still languishes on my hard drive... actually, if anyone wants me to zap what I have to them, let me know. I may actually take my laptop home this weekend and finish it though... (yeah yeah yeah) <BR> <BR

Old Mar 22nd, 2001, 06:37 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Beth, Given 10 days and a car, I would startnear Nice[Villefranche or Menton], drive to Santa Margherita, then up to Stresa on Lago Maggiore. Now you have a choice to make. I would drop the car at Lugano and train to Luzern for your last 2 nites--the Zurich airport is only about an hour from there. That gives you 4 great destinations in 10 days---a bit hurried but very doable. <BR>Good luck !

Old Feb 17th, 2002, 06:09 AM

topping for recent France/Alps traveler.

Old Feb 17th, 2002, 06:45 AM
jw

I see by the dates that Beth has gone and returned by this time. Maybe you should start a new thread with her name at the front asking for a trip report? (or maybe there was one and we missed it)-- If there isn't any, then here's my suggestion: Start in the south of France and depart from the airport at Geneva, rather than Zurich. That is, if you are seeking a relaxing trip. I can visualize marvelous stops in perched villages alone the cote, and then Annecy just south of Lac Leman, and then Swiss mountain villages just to the east and north from there -- like Chateau d'oex or Gruyeres or Gstaad, and finishing in the Lavaux region along Lac Leman with its marvelous vineyards and little towns. It seems like the possibilities are endless without ever reaching as far as the Oberland, let alone Zurich. For what it's worth. . . . . have fun planning. J.