Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page > Driving and train time from Heidelberg and Rothenberg ob der Tauber to Munich

Driving and train time from Heidelberg and Rothenberg ob der Tauber to Munich

Jan 14th, 2006, 08:04 PM
Original Poster

Driving and train time from Heidelberg and Rothenberg ob der Tauber to Munich

I am scheduling a trip and would like to know driving and train time from both Heidelberg to Munich and Rothenberg ob der Tauber to Munich. Thank you for any help you can provide!
Jan 14th, 2006, 08:49 PM

For trains, try www.bahn.de

For driving, www.viamichelin.com or www.mappy.com

Jan 14th, 2006, 08:55 PM

Just a gues since I don't know which route you plan to take or traffic situatiosn but I'm guess in about 3 hours or a little more for each route.
Jan 14th, 2006, 11:03 PM

Rothenberg ob der Tauber to Munich should take about 3 hours, depending on the connections. In August 2005 we left Rothenberg on a shuttle bus, since rail repairs were being done on the single line into the town from the larger line at Steinach. The shuttle ran once only per hour, and we missed the Steinach connection by 2 minutes. The whole trip took 4 hours, 20 minutes. The line is now repaired, eliminating the slow shuttle problem. You may make better time by travelling north from Steinach to Wurzberg, then taking an express train from Wurzberg to Munich. I would estimate about 3 hours for the whole trip under ideal conditions.
Jan 15th, 2006, 08:51 AM

I can't help you with driving times - but we just did the train last month. There were 4 of us - 2 adults, 2 kids, 1 carry-on bag, and 3 rollling duffles.

My husband was a little nervous about this - having never done trains in Europe before - and he got a little stressed with the 1st late train and the missed connection. But after that - he admitted the whole thing was easy.

From Heidelberg to Rothenburg, the travel time was about 3-1/2 hours. But our 1st train in Heidelberg was late, and we missed out connection by 2 minutes. But, I had made notes of all the subsequent trains, so we just waited about 20 minutes and caught the next one. You can also check the posted schedule. The only difference was that we caught regional trains, not Intercity - so there wasn't a food/drink car.

Note - we had standard fare, 1st class tickets. The standard fare allowed us to use any trains on our scheduled day.

Anyway- we went from Heidelberg to Stuttgart, Stuttgart to Ansbach, Ansbach to Steinach, and Steinach to Rothenburg. THe connections were easy (usually the next platform).

Then from Rothenburg to Munich the travel time was 3 hours. We went from Rothenburg to Steinach, Steinach to Augsburg, and Augsburg to Munich. Again, quite easy.

A couple of the connections were tight (5 or 7 minutes), but we had no problems.

I purchased our tickets on the www.bahn.de website - selected my schedule, reserved my seats (where possible), paid for them, and printed out the receipts. REALLLY EASY! If your plans change, you can change your tickets at a train station up to 24 hours (I think) before your scheduled time.
Jan 15th, 2006, 08:28 PM
Original Poster

Grcxx3, did you buy a railpass or individual tix? Also, I think we'll have about the same amount of luggage as you, with the addition of a bulky carseat (there'll be some car travel involved). My 7 yr old can roll a bag, but my 2 yr old can't really help, We'll get 1st class tix, but where does the luggage go? Do we carry it all up to our seats? Thank you!
Jan 16th, 2006, 03:00 AM

We bought individual tickets. Kids under 14 travelling with parents or grandparents are free.

As for luggage, it went with us. On several trains, we had individual little "cars" for us - with 4 or 6 seats and a closing door. We just piled the duffle bags on the floor and used them for footrests.

On the smaller trains where we just found seats, we kept the bags close to the door but out of the way of others.

Try to reserve seats where you can. Some of the shorter distance trains don't allow you to reserve seats, but this will be clear when you make the reservation.

With the reserved seats, the ticket (printed out on your computer) will have the car number on it. At the station on all the platforms, there are large signs that have each train and all the cars drawn on them. Look for your train number and then your car number, then look above for the letter designation. The whole platform is marked with big A, B, C, D, etc signs. Just stand by the correct letter and you will be quite close to your train car when the train arrives. This will save time - we didn't know this the first time and ended up dashing down the platform to get to the 1st class car.

Also - especially with kids that young (mine are young teens) - take along snacks and drinks. It will just make things a lot easier (and cheaper) than using the train food car (altho a cold beer would have been nice a couple of times!). Also - a couple of trains didn't have a food car.

If I remember my transfers correctly - most of them involved the next train being on the opposite side of the same platform.

But in Steinach (the little station that has the train going to Rothenburg) we had to take our luggage downstairs, under the platforms, and upstairs to get to the next train. This was a little cumbersome. On the way to Rothenburg from Heidelberg, we only had 5 minutes, but there are were many people heading that way and there really was time if you are ready to get off the train as soon as it stops. Leaving Rothenburg to Munich, we had something like 30 minutes - no problem.

It was a little stressful the first time (and I asked a LOT of questions at the information desk at the Heidelberg station) - but then we got the hang of it pretty easily.

You will have your hands full with those bags plus a 2 year old! I would do your best to minimize luggage. Several of the hotels we stayed in could do laundry if needed. Good luck!

Search this Thread