Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Drive to Nice from Chambéry via France or Italy?

Old Mar 12th, 2018, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are attending a wedding June 30th of this year in Chambéry France and then will be driving to Nice to catch a flight to Gatwick on July 3rd. Our flight leave fairly late, almost 6PM.

Since we will have a leased car on the Peugeot leasing program we will be driving the car to the Nice airport to return it, so train won't be an option. We have the choice of driving down to Nice on the French side stopping one night somewhere around Aix-en-Provence, (the drive and area which we know pretty well) or going via Italy, stopping one night somewhere near Barolo in Piedmont. The drive whether you go through Italy or France is around 5 1/2 hours. Whichever way we go, we will only drive around 3 hours a day and stop somewhere for the night.

We haven't made the drive on the Italian side before, so would I love to hear thoughts from others who have. In particular I am curious whether the trip going through Italy is hillier than the French drive or whether it is fairly easy in terms of hills and tunnels, etc. And I would love to hear what you think about the Piedmont area for a night's stay and suggestions for villages or places to stay that wouldn't take us too far off the road for the next day's drive. It sounds like a pretty nice area to stop for food and agri-tourism.
Old Mar 12th, 2018, 04:16 PM

ViaMichelin suggest the scenic route via Grenoble and Gap. If you like high mountains and don't mind driving twisting narrow roads, consider taking the roads via Briançon closest to the Italian border.
Old Mar 13th, 2018, 08:17 AM
Original Poster

Yes, if we drive on the French side, the route through Gap is probably the one we will take. We have done that drive a few years back. We are sort of leaning towards driving in Italy but if we did that we would probably stick with the E70/E717 through to Savona and then take the coastal road. We would prefer to minimize the twisting narrow roads.