Reload this Page >

Drive time to Dingle; food in Ireland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30th, 2000, 07:34 AM
Anthony

We last travelled to Ireland in 1989. We toured the west coast from Sligo to Kinsale then up to Dublin. We saw little of the Ring and none of Dingle.We loved the Irish people and the scenery. <BR> <BR>Could you please tell me how long a drive Dingle is from Shannon and Dublin? The food in 1989 seenmed to consist of salmon, potatoes, lamb, salmon, potatoes, etc. Has that changed? Any suggestions on restaurants and hotels in the Dingle area would be appreciated as well. <BR> <BR>Thanks.

Old Oct 30th, 2000, 08:41 AM
Keith

I started going to Ireland in 1989, and have noticed a HUGE change in the food. Of course, potatoes are still a staple, but there is a lot more variety. Even in a pub, there's usually at least one Indian, Italian or Chinese offering on the menu.

Old Oct 30th, 2000, 11:00 AM
Sandra

Anthony, <BR> <BR>I can't tell you the exact time from Shannon to Dingle but can suggest you use the Tarbert ferry to save you some miles. We enjoyed many very good meals in Ireland and were very surprised at the quality and variety. <BR> <BR>I can recommend a very nice restaurant near Dingle in the village of Ventry. Tne owner is a French couple and he is also a fisherman. The restaurant is named the Skipper in his honor and we really enjoyed the food there. It's small so I'd advise a reservation. <BR> <BR>The Dingle area was my favorite with lovely views, and interesting forts, bee hive huts etc. to visit. All of Ireland was just grand! <BR>

Old Oct 30th, 2000, 11:56 AM
Janice

Figure how long it would take you to get somewhere in the US, and then at least double it - I just got back yesterday, and my friend and I would look at the map, figure say 60 miles, maybe 75 minutes or so - two and a half hours later, we got there. We chewed up a good 4 hours going from Dublin to Dingle and that's after we got out of the central part of Dublin. The wonderful part of all this is that no matter where you go, it will be beautiful and people will be wonderfully kind. Enjoy your trip!

Old Oct 31st, 2000, 06:28 PM
Paul

My wife and I just returned from Ireland and went from Dingle to Galway. You absolutely MUST go through Connors Pass. It is breathtaking, but make sure you have the stomach for tiny roads on the side of a mountain. If you are going from Dingle to Shannon, you are better off going through Limerick to Shannon. As far as Dublin is concerned, you are a LONG way from there. I would not advise Dingle to Dublin in one day.

Old Nov 3rd, 2000, 11:35 AM
debra

I just returned yesterday. Ireland is an amazing place, but it takes a long time to drive everywhere. Just add an hour or two to the time it should take. Do not fret, everywhere is beautiful and filled with wonderful people. Have fun!

Old Nov 3rd, 2000, 11:40 AM
BOB THE NAVIGATOR

Anthony, Find my trip report done about <BR>Oct. 12 or so entitled " Navigating in <BR>Ireland" Dingle is the best, and we <BR>stayed in Ventry and ate twice at the <BR>Skipper mentioned above. We also liked <BR>Kinsale alot. The food was a pleasant <BR>surprise.

Old Dec 8th, 2000, 01:10 PM
Edmond O`Flaherty

It takes about 6 hours from Dublin to Dingle and 3 hours from Shannon.The distances are about 230 miles and 85 miles and it could take a lot longer if you travel at certain times,such as Friday afternoon. <BR>There is a lot to be said for travelling very early in the morning in the summertime-6 to 7 am when it is already bright or after 7pm when you will have a long evening until 10 or 11 pm in May,June,July,especially on the west coast.