Drive time Lisbon to Sagres

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29th, 2004, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now that the freeways are open from Lisbon to the south, does anyone know the approximate drive time from Lisbon to Sagres? I would like to travel via the most direct/fastest route. Also any suggestions for a mid-way meal?
thank you.
Old Feb 29th, 2004, 07:33 PM

You might try http://www.mappy.fr/

You can type in both cities and Mappy will tell you how long it will take, how many kilometers/miles it is, how much petrol you'll need, etc.

This will also top the post so someone else can give you restaurant recommendations.
Old Mar 1st, 2004, 11:24 AM

You need 4 hours, driving under the legal speed limit (120 km/h).
However, it's a shame to go from Lisbon to Sagres via the freeway. Consider the option of crossing Setubal to Troia in the ferry boat and driving down along the coast. There are plenty of nice places to eat. If you consider this as an option, let me know, and I'll tell you my favourites.
Old Mar 3rd, 2004, 01:56 PM
Original Poster

Since it is only a 4 hour drive - and we have all day to get there - I would love to hear your suggestions.
Thank you.
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 02:59 PM

festival, you asked for the most direct/fast road and the answer can only be A2 from Lisbon to the center of Algarve and then heading west through Via do Infante (Prince's way) and N125. When I told you 4 hours, I was referring to this route. The only possible meal you may have is gas station sandwich like food.

If you can afford a scenic and more relaxing travel to the south, I suggest you the folloing:

1 - from Lisbon, take the freeway to Setubal (30-40 minutes). Take the 25 April or Vasco da Gama, whichever is more convenient. Crossing the bridge in the N to S direction is free in both bridges. The freeway Lisbon to Setubal is not free, count on a few euros.
2 - Setubal is a mixture of industrial and fishing town. Look for the port and the terminal of ferries to Troia. You can't miss since there are no other ferries in Setubal (as far as I know).
3 - From Troia (Troy like in Ilyad, however don't expect to see Agamemnon or beautiful Helen, not even Trojan Horses) drive south through many beautiful landscapes and photograph opportunities.
4 - Make sure you pass through Sines, known as the birth town of Vasco da Gama, the first European navigator in India (1498). In Sines, look for the marginal, since it allows exiting to the South.
5 - If you have a good map (to do this, I think you should), look for Porto Covo (very typical Alentejan village near by the sea) and Ilha do Pessegueiro (nice landscapes)
6 - More of less in the midlle or the journey, you should be hungry and therefore look for Vila Nova de Milfontes (I don't recommend July and August)... (to be continued)
Old Mar 4th, 2004, 03:30 PM

7 - In Vila Nova de Milfontes I recommend two restaurants. My very favourite is A Choupana (the wooden house) in Praia do Farol (the light house beach). It is just a few meters from the sea water. As the name says it's an open air restaurant with just some palm tree branches over the heads. I prefer grilled Dourada, but if you don't like the face of the fish you can just point whatever you prefer and they will grill it for you.
Choupana is not opened during the winter season. If you like I can call and ask if they already opened.
After the meal and the expresso coffee, indulge yourself (specially if the weather is fine) with 1 or 2 hours of leisure (at no extra cost). They will not urge you to leave the place
8 - In the main street of Vila Nova there is a more conventional type of restaurant called A fonte (the fountain) managed by a German gentleman. Nevertheless the food is Portuguese and good. In both places Visa cards are accepted
9 - From V.N. Milfontes to the south is a huge natural park with another 100 kms or so of landscapes and photograph opportunities.
10 - I doubt that in places like A Choupana they speak a lot of English, however it shoudn't prevent you from going there and enjoy.
11 - from there look for Vila do Bispo (Bishop's village) and Sagres, just after.
Old Mar 6th, 2004, 10:09 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for all this detail, sounds like a fabulous day!
Old Apr 10th, 2011, 04:10 PM

Lobo_mao,
Wonderful information. Thank you! I will taking this rout in July, why did you say "6 - More of less in the midlle or the journey, you should be hungry and therefore look for Vila Nova de Milfontes (I don't recommend July and August)"
Old Apr 29th, 2011, 05:48 AM

6. July, August = Too many people
8. "A Fonte" changed management and is not anymore an interesting place to eat.