Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Drive time from Como to Bellagio and Bellagio to Bergamo

Jan 16th, 2006, 04:32 AM
Original Poster

Can someone give me the approximate drive time between Como and Bellagio and Bellagio and Bergamo. Are the roads easy to drive? Crowded? Scenic?
Jan 16th, 2006, 04:49 AM
rex

See viamichelin.com or mappy.com but you will most likely not want to use Bellagio as your starting or ending destination in either search.

Como-Menaggio is (as I understand it), a far easier, more pleasant drive, and takes about 45 minutes, as I recall. The road is only ocasionally narrow, in contrast to the Como-Bellagio road which is reportedly, CRAZY narrow... and harrowing.

Once you get to Menaggio, you will have a 2 to 30 minute wait, to line up for the ferry, and about 10 minutes actual ferry time.

Sinilarly, the preferred route to Bergamo should be compared for Varenna or Menaggio, allowing for the ferry to get away from Bellagio. I don't think that ther even IS a road down the western shoreline of the "eastern leg" of Lake Como, headed south from Bellagio.

Best wishes,

Rex
Jan 16th, 2006, 06:16 AM
Doble_Vergasser

I have been told that Viamichelin and Mappy estimate their travel time by Class of road (If you have to be in Bergamo for the 10:05 train or something, then add enough extra time.) According to two sources in my library there is a road down the western shore of the eastern leg (to Lecco). It will be slow going however.

You might consider the car ferry to Varenna (10 - 15 euro one way however). There is an apparent US Interstate class, toll road up the hill slightly from Varenna.

Jan 16th, 2006, 06:31 AM
Doble_Vergasser

I noticed that you have a few post related to driving in the Lake Como area. There is book 'Northern Italy's Best Loved Driving Tours'. It has 20 pages related to Lake Como plus pages on Bergamo.

When driving in Italy your navigator and good maps become more important than in the US .

I can't answer your question on ease and crowding without knowing what you are used to.

Scenic - without a doubt it will be scenic (although the passenger typically gets more benefit from the scenic part).

Jan 16th, 2006, 09:49 AM
Original Poster

You caught me! Actually, this is our plan. Fly into Milan. Rent a car. Spend three days at Lake Como (preferrably Bellagio), drive to Venice to catch a cruise ship. Need to leave Lake Como early enough on a Saturday to return the rental car in Venice by noon. (The office closes at 1.) This is why all the questions. Obviously, I have not studied the road maps well enough yet!
Jan 16th, 2006, 09:54 AM

There is most definitely a road from Bellagio to Lecco, which is on the southeastern tip of the lake. It's pretty narrow and winding, but not much, if any different, from the road on the other side of the peninsula, or the Como-Menaggio-Dongo road on the lake's western shore (which can get blocked with traffic in high season, especially as trucks and large buses often use it).

The biggest road in the area is the superstrada on the eastern shore (Lecco-Colico). You can take that to Varenna and catch the ferry across to Bellagio.

best regards,
Deirdré Straughan

beginningwithi.com (personal)
www.tvblob.com (work)
Jan 16th, 2006, 12:24 PM
Doble_Vergasser

I would say
Check the time on the superstrada (Varenna to Venice). This will be a toll road.

Check the car ferry schedule for the earliest ferry from Bellagio to Varenna.

Look at what you have to do within Metro Venice area.

Allow some time in Varenna to find the superstrada.

Add up the time for these four, and calcualte the 'float' left over (that is the slop factor in the schedule to still turn the car in by 12:00 or 12:30).

Once we drove valley to valley, over a high mountain pass. We made our train with about 40 minutes to spare but the actual driving time was hours longer than projected by the computer. (That is why I recommend heading directly for the superstrada. Your driving time should be resonably accurate to predict.)

Jan 16th, 2006, 12:46 PM

You'd best be ready to travel fast because the earliest ferry from Bellagio to Varenna may not leave until around 7:00 AM..I could very well be WRONG about this but definitely check schedules prior to making any plans.
Jan 16th, 2006, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I didn't plan on having to depend on a ferry to get started. Thought that leaving at 6 AM would give us plenty of time. Back to the drawing board. Maybe leave Bellagio the night before and stay in Varenna? Or another scenic place along the way?
Jan 16th, 2006, 01:08 PM

I have driven Como to Bellagio and it is certainly doable. I recall it to be very tight in places, windy and lots of cautious semi-blind encounters but not dangerous. The big issue is that the lake is not largely visible as the beautiful homes and estates and their walls block the view of both the lake and the estates. I don't recall how long it took as I was not pressed for time but I wouldn't want to be in a hurry!
On return to the area, I would opt for the ferry and the views of the waterfront it would afford--much better and more relaxing.
Re:your journey to Venice. Be very careful. I have gotten into some major traffic snarls even on the autostradas in and around Milan. Good luck. Paul