Drive Time and Distance, Malmo Sweden to Oslo, Norway

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2010, 12:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are thinking about having our trip as an open jaw from Copenhagen (and possibly Belgium first) up thru Oslo and then Bergen, Norway. I have been told I do not need a car in Copenhagen but would find it beneficial in Norway. I also read on the Rick Steves' site that rental cars were expensive in Norway and that he recommends folks rent in Sweden.

Originally, I was thinking about the reverse trip, flying into Bergen, spend several days there in the fjord area and then take a train to Oslo as part of the Nutshell tour, and later possibly catch the ferry to Copenhagen. I was only going to travel to Oslo to catch the ferry. Also, I was first thinking of skipping Sweden altogther with the original plan and spend four or so days in Copenhangen and then perhaps 4-5 days in Belgium.

However, if I decide to rent a car for Norway and rent it in Sweden, I presume I would do so just across the bridge from Copenhagen is Malmo Sweden at the conclusion of my Copenhagen visit. If I were to rent a rental car there, what would I be looking at in driving time and distance up to Oslo?

The benefit of doing this is that I would save the cost of the overnight ferry for two; save the cost of the Nutshell for two (see areas in greater detail by car, the flam, and maybe boat tour); save the cost of trains to see my other day trip adventures, and have general travel flexibility. On the downside, I have the cost of the rental car, toll roads, time spent driving, etc.

Thoughts please? Is this advisable or silly?
Old Jul 19th, 2010, 12:26 PM

For distances, try Google map. It gives itineraries, distances and estimated travel times.

There probably is a stiff cross-border drop off fee that can only be avoided by returning the car in Sweden.
Old Jul 19th, 2010, 12:41 PM

Hi Bugler,
On my AutoRoute program it is 350 miles and 6 hrs drive time.
Michele
Old Jul 19th, 2010, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Michael and Michele.
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 04:40 PM

I don't think the cost of renting a car in Sweden is significantly less than renting it in Norway or Denmark. Check prices for renting a car in Norway through the web site of the airline Norwegian on http://www.norwegian.com/ They list rentals from Avis, Europcar and other big brands at good prices. As a previous poster said, an open jaw rental between Sweden and Norway would usually be quite expensive.

Unless there is somewhere you want to visit along the Swedish west coast, driving up the coast is going to be quite boring. The roads are excellent: four lane motorway most of the way. Make sure your car have cruise control The driving time from Malmö to Oslo is around six hours. Add a few rest stops, and you will spend a full day on that part of the journey.

An alternative to driving up the coast of Sweden could be to drive up through Denmark to Hirtshals and catch a ferry into southern Norway. The driving time between Copenhagen and Hirtshals is estimated to four hours and 45 minutes.

There is an over night ferry connection between Hirtshals and Bergen three times per week run by Fjordline (http://www.fjordline.com/ ).

There are much more frequent ferry connections between Hirtshals and Kristiansand by Fjordline and Colorline (http://www.colorline.no/ ). The crossing time is 2-3 hours.

You should be able to get from Copenhagen to Kristiansand in one day.

From Kristiansand, you could drive up the Setesdal valley, then through Odda and the Hardangerfjord area before arriving at Gudvangen in Sognefjord. If you chose this route, you should consider to stop in Ulvik or Granvin in Hardangerfjord. Driving from Kristiansand, I estimate you would spend one day to get to Hardangerfjord and then at least one day to see the Hardangerfjord area. Driving from Granvin in Hardangergjord to Gudvangen in Sognefjord should take no more than 1.5 hours.

You could also go by train from Copenhagen to Hirtshals. The (very small) train station in Hirtshals is only a short walk away from the Colorline ferry terminal. I believe there is a bus to the Fjordline terminal from the front of the railway station. Danish passenger railway, DSB: http://www.dsb.dk/ If you end up driving from Malmö, you would use a DSB train from Copenhagen to Malmö.

As someone else said, the route planner in Google maps give reasonable estimates for driving time and driving distances in Scandinavia.
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 04:09 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much Arvin. I finally made some plans. We are going to fly into Copenhagen. After a few days, take the train to Norway for five days or so. Thereafter, fly from Norway to Belgium for about five days.
Old Jul 22nd, 2010, 01:46 PM

Sounds like a good plan. Enjoy your trip!