Reload this Page >

drive through France's Grand Canyon

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2002, 04:53 AM
Park42

I would like a report from someone who has driven/ridden through the "Grand Canyon" of France beginning in Nice. Is it really scary? Is is full of curves like the Amalfi coast? We can't decide whether we want to try this.

Old May 20th, 2002, 07:05 AM
LJR

Are talking about the Gorges du Verdon? I've driven through it a few years ago. The road is really narrow winding and very close to the edge of the canyon. I suppose some people will find it scary, nbe we survided.

Old May 20th, 2002, 07:20 AM
steve

The Gorge du Verdon is fantastic, and the ride is not that scary. Also please note that there is a north rim ride and a south rim ride. One of these rides is hairier than the other, but right now, I don't remember which is which.<BR>To find out more, check out my web page about our trip to provence:<BR>http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/5733/<BR>provence/provence.html

Old May 20th, 2002, 07:33 AM
Capo

We spent two nights and one day at the Gorges du Verdon in September, 1999. During our one day, we drove the Route des Cretes, which is a spectacularly scenic loop road that is on the north side of the canyon (near La Palud, as I recall), and one which I'd highly recommend. There are a number of pullouts and, about midway, a small building where you can get some food and beverages. <BR><BR>I took a bus on the Amalfi coast and drove on the Route des Cretes (and a few other parts of the canyon, like from Moustiers St Marie to Point Sublime) so I really can't compare the two for driving but, yes, the canyon roads have quite a lot of curves, like the coast road. I did find the Routes des Cretes a bit scary in parts, due to a lack of (or very small) guardrails. You definitely have to keep your eye on where you're going and, if you do, you should be fine. <BR>

Old May 20th, 2002, 07:41 AM
JayKay

Yup, it is scary. But it's really worth it! It was doing this drive a few years ago that I discovered that I have developed acrophobia, at least I sure had it then. But still! The scenery is dropdead gorgeous. there were hang gliders in the sky above us; I kept wondering where the heck they were going to land. There are turnouts where you can stop and admire the beauty. Go for it!