Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Drive Rental car Vs. Trains (Seville, Cordoba, Granada)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 2016, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

We are a family of 4 from the US, and visiting Andalucia from Christmas to New Year. (7 total days + flight days).

To save money on train tickets, I have booked a small rental car. The rental car inclusive of insurance for an Auto transmission cost me $250 bucks approximately. I see that Madrid (where I land) to Seville, or Cordoba, would cost me about $300 one-way. I do have to factor in the cost of parking, and petrol.

I am also not too good at fixing up a firm travel plan, so having a car allows me to be flexible.

I am booking hotels where parking is available. I plan to research towns that are not a good idea to drive into, in those cases I will take a bus / taxi.

Do you think this is a feasible plan, to drive?

Thank you.
Old Nov 20th, 2016, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

Edit : I meant Madrid to Seville costs $300 for 4 train tickets, one way.
Old Nov 20th, 2016, 08:15 AM
kja

I'm sorry, but no, I don't think this is a feasible plan. First and foremost, although many people are not aware of it, driving with jet lag is just as dangerous -- to yourselves and others -- as driving drunk. And unfortunately, <b>nothing</b> you can do will prevent the microsleeps (which you might not even notice) that are the apparent culprit.

Second, a small car might not be enough for four people and your luggage.

Third, for many of the places most people want to visit in Andalusia, a car would be an encumbrance, rather than an asset. In contrast, Spain's public transportation (whether train or bus) is excellent, comfortable, and convenient.

Finally, with only 7 days, you barely have time to see even the most important of the highlights of Andalusia, which include Granada's Alhambra (you'll probably want at least 2 nights in Granada for that) and Cordoba's Mezquita.

AND you will be there when daylight hours are at their minimum and when some things may be closed for the holidays. BTW, note that many things in Spain are closed on Monday, and often for all or part of Sundays too; and many things in Spain will also be closed daily for a very long mid-day break.

Hope that helps!
Old Nov 20th, 2016, 08:19 AM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
"I have booked a small rental car."

My first thought when I saw "small" was concern regarding space for both people & luggage. Most car rental websites have charts with the maximum number of people and pieces of luggage. Have a good look at what you've reserved to determine if it's feasible for 4, let alone comfortable. Small European cars are very small and it's going to be a long uncomfortable ride if you've miscalculated in that regard.

Given the distances involved, I think it may be false economy to be spending so much of your week on the road. I travel on a budget and, while I occasionally rent a car, I much prefer the comfort and ease of train travel. Think long & hard before you finalize your plan. The car may very well be more trouble than it's worth.
Old Nov 20th, 2016, 08:23 AM

If you book ahead, you can get a promo tariff: 34 EUR/pax.
Full fare: 60 EUR adults, 36 EUR kids.
Old Nov 20th, 2016, 08:43 AM
Original Poster

Hi neckervd, could you share details of the discounted fare - which website. My google searches did not show that.

Thanks.
Old Nov 20th, 2016, 08:52 AM

We (two of us) did a similar itinerary to yours about 3 years ago. We landed in Barcelona and then trained from Barcelona to Cordoba, then to Granada. We picked up a car in Granada and drove to Ronda, and then Cadiz and returned the car in Cadiz. We then took the train to Seville, and then to Madrid.

We spend 2 months each year driving around in Europe - and have been doing so since we retired early in 1999. We wished we had NOT rented a car for this Spain trip. Navigation in Spain is more difficult than in France, Italy, Belgium, England, Germany, or Switzerland. The only large city we had to navigate out of, was Grenada - which was a nightmare for parking. We actually had a day-trip planned by car from Grenada - which we cancelled.

Do train only!!!

Stu Dudley
Old Nov 20th, 2016, 09:02 AM

Yes, of course, it is feasible, but you must have a car with enough room for the luggage. Public transport is excellent in Spain, but it may be already too late to get discounted fares on trains. Bus is even cheaper than trains and you don't need a reservation. We always get a rental car because we don't like the strictures involved with discounted rail tickets and we go places not well served by public transport. But, you are going to major sites so public transport is fine.
Old Nov 20th, 2016, 01:42 PM

You also need to remember that the days are short at this time of the year, the weather can be iffy (cold and wet, with lows already in the 30's F in Madrid) and since you are not familiar with road signage in Spain, challenging.

Also, if picking up the rental car at the airport, you'll have to pay the airport surcharge, around €40, depending on the car. Parking, when available, can easily set you back €20 to €30/day.

If you're from the States or Canada you can purchase train tickets at: http://petrabax.com/renfe/, otherwise try Renfe.com
Old Nov 21st, 2016, 03:35 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
"If you're from the States or Canada"

Unusual for someone from the States or Canada to call it "petrol"

Also, jetlag might not be an issue and, since it is only a week, neither should be luggage.

I would suggest to get a bigger car.

Mark
Old Nov 21st, 2016, 04:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Let's get VERY honest here: you have seven days so just how many "towns" are you planning to research? IMO it shouldn't be all that many different locations.

As to the cost of the car: are you taking any sort of insurance or are you planning on using insurance coverage provided by a credit card?

Who is going to be doing the driving and who is going to be actually enjoying the more stress-free scenery?

I'm not sure I agree with the notion that the signage in Spain is all that "challenging."

You SAY you want the flexibility a car provides and yet you are already limiting yourselves to "hotels which have parking." That is NOT "flexibility" IMO.
Old Nov 21st, 2016, 09:02 AM

Another issue is that much of Andalucia isn't conventionally scenic. Lots of flat land, lots of monoculture -- olive trees and cork trees. Lots of olive and cork trees. I sort of like the idea of the bus, but the train will be faster.
Old Nov 21st, 2016, 06:31 PM

We just did 10 days in Spain... grabbed a rental car in Madrid and did a loop of Toledo, Granada, Alhama de Granada (with a day trip to to the Costa Del Sol), Sevilla and back to Madrid (dropped the car at the Madrid train station before spending 3 nights in Madrid).

I loved having the car and it gave us some flexibility we wouldn't have had otherwise. That said, we did just park it in Sevilla and leave it in the garage. I found the driving very easy and Google maps was spot on (download the maps before you go and put the app in WiFi only mode) and the signage was more than adequate (even give my lousy Spanish). I even drove to Toledo, did a few hours of sightseeing and then drove all the way to Granada after arriving on a redeye.

There are convenient free lots around Toledo (we used the one between the train station and the river). In Granada, our hotel was right across from the Alhambra and had discounted parking in the Alhambra parking lot. There was free street parking in Alhama. In Sevilla, there was a lot about 2 blocks from our hotel. About 18 euro per day, so take that into account.