Drive or train to Loire from CDG?

Aug 29th, 2003, 03:57 PM
Original Poster

Drive or train to Loire from CDG?

Our plan to take the TGV train from the airport to Tours now looks to be both complicated and expensive (ie a 4 hour wait for the train and a hefty one-way charge for picking up a car in Tours). What do you think about picking up our rental car at CDG and driving to Chenonceaux while jet lagged? My husband is experienced in driving in Europe so that's not a problem. My concern is the difficulty of this particular drive. Is it difficult to get out of CDG and around Paris and on to the motorway to the Loire? Any advice appreciated.
Aug 29th, 2003, 04:06 PM

Since you don't have a reply yet, I'll give it a try. My husband at 62 years old rented a car at the airport and drove to Normandy after landing at CDG. The peripherique (beltway) is well marked and the roads are excellent. It is not that hard to do. I do remember though not having change for the toll booths. That was 4 years ago and last year the toll booths in the south of France have credit card capability. Last year we flew from Orlando to Washington, Washington to Paris at CDG, took a bus over to the other terminal, waited 5 hours, flew on Easy Jet to Nice, rented a car and drove for 4 hours. At our age, we definitely will not do that again!! Have a good trip!
Aug 29th, 2003, 08:49 PM

I've driven from Paris to the Loire Valley and its quite simple. If you?re coming from the airport just get to the Autoroute and head down you won't have to go into Paris. If I remember correctly it?s an hour and a half to two hours drive(depending on how fast you drive)
Aug 30th, 2003, 08:35 AM

I would recommend that you have a good, current set of Michelin maps of the area.

Search this Thread