Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Drive or train from Venice to Southern Tuscany? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/drive-or-train-from-venice-to-southern-tuscany-871403/)

rbnwdln Dec 31st, 2010 10:10 AM

Drive or train from Venice to Southern Tuscany?

We are spending three days in Venice in June and then heading to Montepulciano for three days. We will rent a car for Tuscany and I am wondering if we should rent the car leaving Venice and drive to Montepulciano or take the train to Chiusi and rent the car there? We will drop the car off before leaving for Rome via train. Thanks for any advice!
Gen

Dukey1 Dec 31st, 2010 11:22 AM

Frankly, I would wait and rent the car outside Venice and take the train to your rental destination. Overall faster, probably, than driving with less hassle. We recently rented a car for use in Tuscany and did so after first taking the train to Florence.

bobthenavigator Dec 31st, 2010 12:16 PM

Get the car in Venice--at Piazzale Roma from Autoeurope.
We will be in Montepulciano in May.

anna_roz Dec 31st, 2010 03:03 PM

In 2007, we picked up the rental in Venice and drove to Montepulciano. It was a reasonably pleasant drive. I do not see a reason to pay for the train ride and for the day of car rental.

rbnwdln Dec 31st, 2010 05:51 PM

bob - Oh, I know where to rent the car at Piazzale Roma. We rented one there summer before last. Can anyone tell me about how far it is to drive Venice to Montepulciano?

iris1745 Dec 31st, 2010 06:17 PM

Hi; It will take you between 6 and 7 hours, plus add for a rest stop.

tuscanlifeedit Dec 31st, 2010 07:06 PM

iris, I think you are way off on that time estimate. From Piazzale Roma to Montepulciano ought to take about 3.5 hours with no stops.

Try Google maps, or viamichelin.com to get driving times and directions.

iris1745 Jan 1st, 2011 03:57 AM

Hi t; I was answering the posters question posted at 9:51pm. Confirm that time.

bobthenavigator Jan 1st, 2011 06:23 AM

Hmmm ! I would guess more like 4.5 hours driving time--plan for 5.5 with a stops at the Autogrill.

iris1745 Jan 1st, 2011 06:54 AM

Bob has it right-thanks

rbnwdln Jan 1st, 2011 08:05 AM

When I check autoeurope, they tell me that there is no availability for that route venice to chiusi for a station wagon/van (5 people), June 15-18. So we may have to train to chiusi and pick up the car there, where there is availability.

bobthenavigator Jan 1st, 2011 12:25 PM

I do not understand---you are picking different vendors.
Forget Chiusi, and call them at 800-555-2323

kybourbon Jan 1st, 2011 12:41 PM

>>>When I check autoeurope, they tell me that there is no availability for that route venice to chiusi for a station wagon/van (5 people), June 15-18. <<<

I have no problem pulling it up for your dates on AutoEurope (Venice Piazzale Roma and Chiusi Railstation). It lists Fiat Croma wagon (says it seats 5) for $336 or a Ford Galaxy minivan (says it seats 7) for $593. Make sure you are unchecking airport pick-up on the first page and the pick-up/return times are when both locations are open (many shut down between 1-4).

tuscanlifeedit Jan 1st, 2011 06:22 PM

I'm oddly confused by a lot on this thread.

But yes, iris, we were referring to the same question.

Google maps has the time at 3.5 hours, and viamichelin.com says 3 hours and 48 minutes.

Even I have my limits for how much time I can spend at an Autogrill and there is no way this ride can take 5.5 hours unless one runs into bad traffic along the route.

rbnwdln Jan 1st, 2011 06:42 PM

Thank you. I must be doing something wrong on the website. Will re-check or perhaps call.

rbnwdln Jan 2nd, 2011 07:06 AM

Just spent 20 minuts on the autoeurope website and it keeps telling me I cannot drop off the car in Chiusi after picking it up in Venice. I tried all the location possibilities, etc. Not sure why I cannot make it work. June 15 pick-up in Venice Piazzale Rome and drop-off in Chiusi rail station on June 18th during open times. I tried every possible configuration and it keeps telling me I cannot drop off in Chiusi. Hmmmm.

bobthenavigator Jan 2nd, 2011 07:29 AM

You are mixing vendors, or have bad times.
I just did it for March dates---picking the 3rd option for pick-up[vendor], and the first option in Chiusi and got it to work. If in doubt, always call them---they will not mix vendors. AE has 3 in Venice but not in Chiusi.

But, why Chiusi and not Orvieto---easier drop and more train options.

kybourbon Jan 2nd, 2011 07:54 AM

Autoeurope walk through.

Select Italy for country.
Select Venice for pick-up
Select June 15 10:00 am
Select Chiusi for drop off
Select June 18 10:00 am
Uncheck any location type that might be selected
Select station wagon/van under car type
Click find cars

>>>>Select Venice downtown office (there are three listed - pick the last one)<<<<

Select Chiusi Railstation via Buaonarroti

OPTION 2

Do as above, but pick the 2nd Venice downtown office and the Chuisi rail office via Oslavia.

I think option 2 is higher priced.

Judy Jan 2nd, 2011 08:07 AM

Are you staying in Rome after Montepulciano?
If so, I'd just drive. If you call AutoEurope and request a drop-off at the Rome Via Cipro location (I cannot remember the vendor at that location, though probably Europcar), it would not be difficult to do. We've picked up at that location and it is an easy drive to the Autostrada from there....and that was before we took GPS with us.

rbnwdln Jan 2nd, 2011 11:16 AM

I am confused about 'mixing vendors'. I am just on autoeurope. I will follow ky's advice. Yes, we are going to Rome after Montepulicano. Should we skip trains altogether and drive Venice to Rome? I don't drive and my companions have never been to Italy so they will be the drivers. We will have a GPS, so maybe it would be the way to go.
I may have to call autoeurope.