Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   drive or train from Florence to Venice (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/drive-or-train-from-florence-to-venice-475624/)

okoshi2002 Sep 21st, 2004 09:30 AM

drive or train from Florence to Venice

We plan to have a car for part of our trip next June, arrving in Milan by plane. Is the segment between Venice and Florence better to drive or should we drop the car off in Florence and train ? If it is scenic and interesting we would drive.

owlwoman Sep 21st, 2004 09:44 AM

We drove between Milan - Venice - Florence, advantage, you can stop in small towns along the way and explore. Disadvantage, parking in Venice was expensive, unless you're planning on dropping your car off at the rental agency. If you do not, you have to park in a big garage outside of town. We then took a water taxi to the hotel. Between the parking and water taxi, it ran around $200 (three days in Venice).

ira Sep 21st, 2004 09:47 AM

Hi ok,

Look for the suggested routes - no tolls option - at www.viamichelin.com and www.viamappy.com.

It's less than 3 hr by train, and not particularly scenic.

bobthenavigator Sep 21st, 2004 10:16 AM

I would train--unless you are 4 people.
Not much to see, unless you divert to Ravenna or Verona, and that takes time.

maitaitom Sep 21st, 2004 10:59 AM

I would also take the train. I've done it both ways, and the drive is not particularly interesting. The 8:39 am train gets you to Venice by 11:30. Have fun.
((H))

isabel Sep 21st, 2004 02:08 PM

First of all I must correct the misinformation posted by owlwoman. If you do want to park your car in Venice it doesn't need to cost anything like she said. There are plenty of parking garages across from the Mestre train station (guarded garages) for about €5 per 24 hours, and then the train into Venice is about €1 (takes 10 minutes). If you are two people it will cost you €19 for three days.

The train is quick and easy as others have said. I did that this past summer. The price was €27 per person for second class (which was fine). So if money is an object driving will probably be cheaper for two and definitly cheaper if there are more of you, even if you count tolls, gas and parking.

The drive on the autostrada may be rather boring but you could stop in Verona, Vicenza, etc. which are in that area. Just saw a Rudy Maxa (Savy Traveler) show yesterday about that region and I can't wait to go back to Italy and check it out.

rex Sep 21st, 2004 02:14 PM

Drive - - and go see "La Rotonda" by Palladio - - when else are you going to do that?

Best wishes,

Rex

okoshi2002 Sep 21st, 2004 02:37 PM

Thank you for theses ideas. Since we are a family of four it sounds like driving would be more cost effective. Is anybody familiar with car rental companies with pick-up and drop-off near the Venice station and Milan Centrale ?

isabel Sep 21st, 2004 03:09 PM

Try autoeurope.com

rex Sep 21st, 2004 04:54 PM

I have never picked up at Milano Centrale, but I did not think it difficult to drive in Milan (picking up at Linate).

You will typically choose to return your car in Venice at Piazzale Roma - - the "furthest point" you can get, in a "terrestrial vehicle", as you approach Venice. It's just after you cross the lagoon (via causeway). Very straightforward.

Watch out for hustlers insisting on "helping with your bags" (the measly 100 or 200 yards) from the car rental return to where you catch a water taxi or vaporetto - - and then lookihg to hit you up for BIG tips (while they have your bags held hostage). Intimidation is a good way to make a hundred bucks an hour.

Best wishes,

Rex