Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Drive or AVE from Madrid to Seville? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/drive-or-ave-from-madrid-to-seville-375858/)

debby_fish Nov 12th, 2003 02:07 PM

Drive or AVE from Madrid to Seville?

We will be in Madrid at the end of November and are trying to decide whether to drive or take the AVE to Seville.

We are two couples travelling together. My husband has the use of a car provided on his business trip. Our primary motivation for driving would be that it saves us approx 260 Euro per couple. Approx how long does it take to drive to Seville? Any nice stops along the way for lunch or sightseeing? We plan on leaving early on a Friday morning and returning late Sunday evening?

THanks again everyone. My trip is getting close!!
What are the downsides to driving?

Of note, the couple we are travelling with are experienced in driving within international cities globally (he is from Frankfurt and she is from Sao Paolo - between them both they are fluent in 6 languages).

car Nov 12th, 2003 10:30 PM

The Madrid Sevile highway is a doble lane both ways, in good conditions
the driving time takes about 5 to 6 hours.
The first 220 Km are flat lands relatively uninteresting, then you go through a mountain pass, crossing into Andalucia, were landscape is more attractive,though end of Nov won't be at its best.
If you are going for a weekend I don't'think you can include more than one stop and it should Cordoba.
So if money is not a big issue, except for the fact that saving some bucks feels good. Just for 3 days go for the train service, the comfort and speed(2.5 hours)will make your visit to Seville and eventualy Cordoba much better. All trains stop in Cordoba.
While in Seville to move around the center and old town there is no need for a car.

JuneAnn Nov 13th, 2003 06:33 AM

The AVE from Madrid to Seville was a quick, easy, comfortable ride. I would do it again.
June

trashtalk Nov 13th, 2003 08:29 AM

Just did the same route last year and the train was fast and relaxing. Take the train.

debby_fish Nov 13th, 2003 02:54 PM

Thanks all for the info. Sounds like the train is the way to go. Far more relaxing journey!!

OReilly Nov 13th, 2003 03:07 PM

Another vote for the train. I took it last year - it was wonderful! I treated myself to a first class ticket and was impressed at the service - the food was far more edible than one generally gets on an airline. I arrived in beautiful Seville refreshed and relaxed.

Taking the train will also give you the opportunity to explore Seville itself without worrying about parking. When you are ready to travel outside, you can rent a car at the AVE station and drop it off there when you return to Madrid.

BTW, I was only in the area for 4 days, but it remains one of my favorite trips. The hill towns of Andulusia are spectacular and driving through the narrow, steep streets will give you plenty of driving and parking challenges!

Enjoy your trip Debbie.

regards .. Ger