Reload this Page >

Drive...from Zurich-Bern-Geneva

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 09:38 AM
guy

How far and how long to drive from Zurich airport to Bern...and from Bern to Geneva ??

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 09:59 AM
Ed

75-90 minutes for the first, 90-105 for the second. <BR> <BR>For most trips in Switzerland we find the trains more convenient. <BR>( www.rail.ch )

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 11:24 AM
Bob Brown

I think you will find the drive fairly easy. You have freeway conditions the whole way once you get on the main highway after you leave the Zurich - Cloten airport. I just hope the construction between Bern and Zürich has been finished and the normal traffic lanes have been repainted. The last time I drove it, we had to switch around because of construction and the lanes were narrow, which made driving along side a big truck feel claustrophobic. <BR>There are couple of rest areas along the way just like on American Interstates, except for Georgia and Alabama where the state highway department seems to pinch pennies.

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 02:16 PM
guy

thaks bob...should be a breeze since I have been living with the freeway construction or re-construction of I-15 thru Salt Lake City for the last 4 years..thanks alot..

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 03:49 PM
Carole

Can anyone help on this one... I'm meeting up with ac ouyple friends in Zurich, flying from the States. My friends each have a Eurorail pass. Should I rent a car, and we can all drive together, or should I buy a Swissrail pass and then we can all use public transportation? Would they have to also buy a Swissrail pass or would they be able to use their Eurorail pass for the same tranins, cable cars, etc.? Thanks for your help.

Old Apr 23rd, 2001, 07:01 PM
Ed

Depends on where you're all going. <BR> <BR>In all likelihood you'll be better off on the trains which are for most any destination and travel routing the best way to get around. (Coupled with boats, cables and buses.) <BR> <BR>Their Eurail passes will get them around most of Switzerland, though not most private rails, cable cars and boats. They'll often get a discount, most commonly 25%, in places not covered. <BR> <BR>Your SwissPass will cover most of the above, though not the upper parts of trips to mountaintops. You'll get discounts on those though in most cases, again usually 25%. <BR> <BR>A car, of course, would have a hard time going where a cable car goes in most cases. <BR> <BR>twenj