Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Drive from Sorrento to Siracusa in one day?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16th, 2010, 06:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be going from Sorrento to Sicily in August and have never been south of Rome before. We are thinking of renting a car in Sorrento and doing the drive down to Siracusa in one day. Has anyone done this before, it it doable in one day, and is it worth the effort? Anything good to see on the way south? The alternative for the 3 of us would be to take the train, but that seems to waste most of a day in itself, without the freedom to get off from time to time. Thanks.
Old Apr 16th, 2010, 06:56 AM

What about the overnight ferry from Naples? That would be my choice. Will you be staying a few days first in Sorrento or the Amalfi Coast? I would certainly suggest that.
Old Apr 16th, 2010, 09:00 AM

Hi Ed - I would advise against this drive in August - NB. especially at weekends - as this is peak tourist season and is a major exodus route for holiday-makers.

Ferry is a more relaxing alternative:

- TTT lines operate the Naples-Catania route
- CARONTE operate the Salerno-Messina route.

For details see:
www.tttlines.it
www.carontetourist.it

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Apr 16th, 2010, 09:04 AM

I would drive. We have done it from Positano to Taormina in one day---the ferry crossing at Messina is the only catch--it depends on traffic load. Are you seeing Taormina as well--I prefer it to Siracusa. August is another varaible--it will be hot. Run the Google maps program for time and routings.
Old Apr 16th, 2010, 09:05 AM

Definitely not in one day and definitely not in August. Siracusa with Ortigia should be enjoyed for a day or two in my opinion as Ortigia is a magical place!
Old Apr 16th, 2010, 09:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone.

We'll be staying in Sorrento 4 nights, so we'll be taking trips to Naples, Pompeii and along the Amalfi coast. We'd thought about the ferry, but wondered if there might be something interesting to see along the Calbria coastline, perhaps Palmii.

Yes, we're spending some time in that part of Sicily. I was thinking two nights in Taormina so we'd have ample time to visit Siracusa and perhaps Noto, before ending our trip in Palermo for 3 nights.

Steve, since we'll be leaving from Sorrento, do you think it's better to plan to take the ferry from Salerno, or from Naples? For Naples I suppose we'd take the train to meet the ferry, but how would we get to Salerno, and which would generally be less hassle?
Old Apr 17th, 2010, 12:55 AM

Ed - If your first stop is Taormina, either would be fine as Taormina is half-way between Messina and Catania.

If your first stop is Siracusa, TTT would be better as Catania is closer. The choice is yours

You can reach Naples dock most easily by ferry/hydrofoil from Sorrento.

You can reach Salerno by hydroil (- Metro del Mare) from Sorrento.

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Apr 17th, 2010, 07:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Steve. The Metro del Mare website has a banner running on the top saying "Service Suspended... Goodbye!" Do you know if they're still in business? Or do they suspend service over the winter and resume in the summer?
Old Apr 17th, 2010, 08:05 PM

That's weird. This afternoon when I was checking the routes was working fine. It may be temporary.
Old Apr 17th, 2010, 08:34 PM

Ed, If you like places like Siracusa make sure you stop at Agrigento on your way to Palermo. Also if you are taking the ferry from Naples to Sicily, book early (online)if you want a cabin. I tried to book one week in advance from Naples and couldn't get on and ended up trying to find a flight to Palermo, which I am glad I did because the view out of Naples was amazing.
Old Apr 18th, 2010, 01:59 AM

Ed - The Sorrento-Salerno service starts next weekend and runs through till Sept.

http://www.metrodelmare.com/orari-estate

(Service MM2 and MM3)

Hope this helps ...

Steve
Old Apr 18th, 2010, 06:32 AM

We took train from Siracusa to Sorrento. It left at 7:30 a.m. and we were in Sorrento hotel before dinner (sorry forgot to write down the times-but the trip took most of the daylight hours). You can check trenitalia website to get an idea. The train stops at Taomina but I'm not certain where in relationship to the town.

The train went directly onto the ferry at the Straits of Messina and we didn't change until we arrived in Naples. When I got out to check out things, we were half way across the Straits! People were on top, cars on next level and 2 trains in the bottom. How cool is that!

At Naples, we took the Circumvesuviana (spelling?) to Sorrento, and a cab to our hotel.

You could definitely drive and stop where you want, but I too wonder how long you'd wait for the ferry. In the train, you'd avoid that. I think you can do it in a day if you get an early start. Please let us know what you do and the timing-it will help others, eh?
Old Apr 18th, 2010, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Steve, I see that both ferries run from Naples and Salerno very late at night. Do you know if there's somewhere safe to check luggage all day, if we get in to Naples or Salerno early, so we can tour around?

Nadia, did you find a budget airline for the flight to Palermo? I suppose another option would be to fly from Sorrento, Naples or Salerno, right into Catania.

Thanks.
Old Apr 18th, 2010, 09:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I did the train trip Naples to Siracusa. It took all day, but the last three hours were Taormina to Siracusa. While riding a train on a boat was cool, the scenery on the way down the "boot" became boring (the scenery on Sicily was much better). I wouldn't want to drive it unless there's something on the way you are REALLY interested in.

Count me as another vote for Siracusa rather than Taormina. One night max in Taormina and then stay on Ortigia.
Old Apr 18th, 2010, 04:50 PM

Hi Ed,
I think it was either Air Italy or AirOne(Alitalia), but it was around 60 euro with taxes. Those were the only two flying from Naples to Sicily. You can fly back with WindJet from Catania/Palermo to Rome for about 40 euro though. The Air Italy will begin to operate frequent routes to Palermo and Catania with a new schedule it will roll out between May and August, but you can see what they have now for an idea on costs.
http://www.airitaly.it/site/calendar...TA&arrival=NAP
I did take the train though back from Catania to Rome. If you have the time(11hours), I'd recommend it for the experience.
Old Apr 18th, 2010, 05:33 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Nadia. It's so cheap to fly down to Catania, that we're now thinking we'll just do that rather than take the night ferry. We'll only be going in one direction, as we're flying home to the states out of Palermo a few days later.

You mention that Air Italy is rolling out a new schedule between Naples and Catania, starting in May sometime. Do you think it would be a mistake to go ahead and purchase cheap tickets now, to be sure we get them? Or should we wait until the new schedule is out? I'm wondering if we buy the tickets now, if the flight may be be dropped or rescheduled.

Lastly, what's the best / easiest / perhaps least costly(?) way to get from Sorrento to Naples for a 10:15 flight on a Tuesday morning? Thanks.
Old Apr 18th, 2010, 06:29 PM

If you have found flights now for the time you want and for a good price, I'd do it. The new timetable is just increasing the number of flights and schedules for the rest of the year. The cheapest way from Sorrento to Naples is the Circumvesuviana train from Sorrento to Naples . It will take an hour, and you can catch a taxi to the airport right where the bus station is or take a bus to the airport. http://www.vesuviana.it/web/en
A taxi from Naples bus/train stop was fixed at about 35 euro (I stayed in Naples near there and my hotel arranged it for me) Alternatively you can get an airport transfer from Sorrento to Naples airport for about 80-100 euro.
Old Apr 18th, 2010, 06:39 PM

Soory, I meant to write the taxi was 15 euro not 35.
Old Apr 18th, 2010, 07:43 PM

Ed, I was just reading Jil02's trip report and she took the Currei Viaggi bus from her hotel in Sorrento to Naples airport for 10 euro.
Old Apr 18th, 2010, 08:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Nadia. I found the Currei Viaggi bus website, and it looks very convenient -- although we'll have to leave on a 6:30 AM bus from Sorrento to get to the airport on time in Napoli. I went ahead and bought tickets from NAP to Catania -- at US$85 each inclusive for mid-August, it seemed like a good enough deal that I wanted to be sure I could get 3 lined up.

It looks like we'll be missing the exotic experience of an overnight ferry to Sicily, but I suspect we'll sleep better in a hotel, and with flights this inexpensive, the net cost of the air plus the hotel night in Sorrento, almost balances what the cost would have been for a Triple sleeping room on the ship, minus the potential aggravation of having to get to the ferry terminal late at night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -