Drive from Northern to Southern France

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31st, 2011, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are taking an 18-day trip to France in mid-December and need advice! At the front end, my plan was to drive myself, husband and daughter from the Paris airport to Tours to pick up our University student son. After touring Tours (and waiting for him to get out of school...2 days), we planned on driving SOUTH. I don't need to make daily plans, but probably should at least figure where we will be at Christmas so I can get a place to stay. I thought we would stay along the coast and make side trips. As we are antique dealers in the States, we would like to spend some time visiting some of the flea markets (I have a book) also. We will then head back to Paris, hoping to stay 4-5 days there, including New Years, so I will again need to make plans where to stay there for this holiday. Any help would be greatly appreciated about sites not to miss, as well as if my "plan" is feasible. I would prefer to plot out each day, but my family thinks that "going with the flow" is the way to go.....
Old Oct 31st, 2011, 12:46 PM

All looks easy provided you miss the traffic. Paris to Tours is pretty quick along the A10 - say 2hrs from the peripherique A10 junction.

You don't say where in the "South" you are aiming for.

Provence and Languedoc have some very good antiques markets, and staying near Nimes gives you easy access to both areas. I'd suggest taking the scenic A75 route which takes around 6.5 hrs to Nimes.

Peter
Old Oct 31st, 2011, 01:19 PM

l'Isle sur la Sorgue has the largest flea market in Provence on Sundays. Get there early for best selection. Also a very central location for touring the area by car.
Old Oct 31st, 2011, 01:22 PM

What do you mean by "along the coast?" Which coast? Atlantic? Mediterranean?

Honestly, I wouldn't choose December to go hunting for antiques, although there are always antiques markets and shops to visit. Most of the big antique fairs and brocantes are in mid-summer.
Old Oct 31st, 2011, 02:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Peter, for your quick response! I will check out your suggestions!
Old Oct 31st, 2011, 02:14 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, InMiami! That will be a Sunday goal, then!
Old Oct 31st, 2011, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

StCirq,
Hoping there are a FEW sellers---don't mind being the ONLY buyer!! Not my choice time to go, either, but that is when my son has his school break, so we're hopeful to find some treasures....
Old Oct 31st, 2011, 02:37 PM

And so... where in the south are you heading for?
Old Oct 31st, 2011, 02:46 PM

Some antique fairs and brocantes in December :
http://www.google.fr/url?sa=t&rct=j&...jCRdbxlNgNQD6g

http://fr.search.yahoo.com/search?ei...e%202011&type=

Antique fair in Nîmes : November 26 to December 4
Old Nov 1st, 2011, 10:05 AM
Original Poster

Well, Nice is nice, but would probably prefer to stay in a smaller city/town; we're flexible though and open to suggestions! I was in Nice a million years ago, but my family has not been in that area. I'm sure my son will at least want to visit Monaco at the very least, but it's not high on my list...

I guess Nimes is out, since we won't be there until after mid-December, but will check out all of the other references to brocantes....

Thanks for the suggestions (keep 'em coming)!
Old Nov 1st, 2011, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

There are SO many markets in Provence, I'm going to have to pick and choose! Does anyone have preferences as to where to stay among: Cannes, Antibes, Nice, or other cities in the area? We have a budget, so places like St. Tropez would definitely be out of the question! It will be about 3 days @ Christmas-time....
Old Nov 1st, 2011, 02:41 PM

For those 3 days, if you're looking for a small Cote d'Azur town just as a base, you might want to consider Sainte-Maxime (just across the bay from Saint-Tropez). However, if you'd like something larger with a lot to do in the town itself (which Sainte-Maxime does not have, being a sort of family-oriented beach town), then Cannes or Antibes would be better.
Old Nov 1st, 2011, 02:54 PM

Since you'll be traveling over Christmas, go for Nice or Cannes--they're year-round towns that are fun to visit in December. Avignon or Arles would also be possibilities; I like western Provence in December because of the santon fairs, but Nice is magical with all the illuminations.

Be sure to book your hotel and Christmas Eve/Christmas Day meals right away.
Old Nov 1st, 2011, 02:57 PM

There is a brocante market in Nice every Monday, Cours Saleya.
Old Nov 1st, 2011, 03:44 PM
Original Poster

Sounds like Nice to me, and thanks (Underhill) for the note to book...I was wondering if I HAD to or could just arrive & hope for the best! I've narrowed it down to a couple of hotels. "Pvoyageuse:" Do you think the Nice market will be open the day AFTER Christmas?
Old Nov 1st, 2011, 10:47 PM

I doubt it. You could ask the tourist office to make sure. http://www.nicetourisme.com/
Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 01:38 PM

If you mean the Nice Christmas market, I have to say that we were really underwhelmed by it last year. I'm spoiled because of having been to German and Austrian markets; the French ones, alas, pale in comparison. But the big open-air market at the Cours Saléya is always fun and interesting.
Old Nov 3rd, 2011, 02:02 PM

I mean the Nice brocante market which takes place all day Mondays and which might not be open the day after Christmas (Monday). There is no big open-air market for food at Cours Saleya on Mondays.