Drive from Munich Airport to Salzburg

Mar 29th, 1999, 11:48 AM
Karen

Drive from Munich Airport to Salzburg

Does anyone know how long it takes to drive from the Munich Airport to Salzburg. Also, if anyone has a hotel recommendation close to the Munich Airport, but on the way to Salzburg, I would appreciate it.

Thank you!

Mar 29th, 1999, 12:41 PM
wes fowler

Karen,
It's about 550 kms (330 miles)from Munich to Salzburg via autobahn. Anticipate five and a half to six hours driving time. Can't help you with hotels; my knowledge is limited to gasthausen.

May 10th, 1999, 07:03 AM
Denise

Wes, You just threw me for a loop. I had no idea the drive from Saltzburg to Munich took 5 to 6 hrs. I thought it was only at most 2 hrs. on autobahn A8. What to do now?

May 10th, 1999, 09:28 AM
Mary

I checked my AAA map of Germany, Switzerland and Austria and the driving time and distance between Munich and Salzburg is one hour and forty-five minutes and 143km. It is a real easy and pretty drive, as well. Good luck.

May 10th, 1999, 09:31 AM
Lee

Karen: Far be it for me to disagree, but I must. Salzburg is about 150 Km from Munich, along autobahn A8. The airport, being on the north side, makes it a little longer. I'd say that two hours is about all you'll need once you turn your ignition key until the time you park.

Check it out on a map, but I have driven this route. Good luck!

May 10th, 1999, 10:37 AM
wes fowler

Karen,
A thousand apologies! I don't know what I was thinking of in misdirecting you so, probably Munich to Vienna. Mary and Lee are quite right, figure around 150kms and under two hours. Like Lee, I've driven the route many times - can't think what got into me!

May 10th, 1999, 11:35 AM
Lee

Wes: It took two years to catch you on one! I thought that's what you were thinking of-Munich to Vienna. Good to know you are only human

Karen: Try the Dorint near to the airport in Freising. Tel. +49/81 61/532-0. My choice would be to not waste a day and just head over to Salzburg. The drive isn't long and the quoted times are conservative, especially if familiar with autobahn driving.

Good luck!

May 10th, 1999, 04:12 PM
joyce

Six hours from Munich to Salzburg? The reply from Wes seems logical. I would require at least that long to enjoy the villages,sites ,food & drink along the way.

May 11th, 1999, 02:41 PM
Bob Brown

I think the driving time question has been answered. But the question of the proper decal (or whatever the %%& that thing is called) to use the Austrian highways without running the risk of being fined a huge amount should also be addressed. Where do you buy one of those little "do funnies" if you are not driving car that has one??
I have heard that the Austrian cops lick their chops when they find a car on the autobahn without the proper decal.

May 11th, 1999, 03:46 PM
wes fowler

Bob,
I have to redeem myself for my mileage error earlier on. According to the A-Z guide on the Austrian Tourist Authority website: "Toll stickers are required on all vehicles on Austria's motorways and highways. Stickers can be obtained from the Austrian Automobile Clubs as well as post offices, sundries and gasoline stations. They are also available in neighboring countries at gasoline stations and at borders. A one week sticker is 70 Austrian schillings. Motorists who do not possess the appropriate sticker will have to pay a fine of 1,100 Austrian schillings. Cars rented in neighboring countries may or may not be equipped with the sticker. Please obtain one from your car rental agency."

May 11th, 1999, 06:41 PM
Doug

As soon as you cross into Austria there is a Geldwechsel (money exchange) in the service area for what used to be the Customs offices. Inside they will sell you the highway pass. My advice is to just barely apply it to your windshield. When you're ready to leave Austria you can peel it off and keep it as a souvenir. Why not, you paid for it.

May 12th, 1999, 05:53 AM
Paulo

I have no idea on when you're travelling, Karen. If it's in the summer and on a weekend, I recommend you travel to Salzburg directly on arrival, even if you have to drive at night. If you stay overnight in the Munich area, be sure to leave as early as possible the next morning.
The last time we drove from Munich to Salzburg on a Saturday morning, it took us 4 hours (after waiting for more than 1 hour in the stalled A8 Autobahn we had an interesting drive through the coutry side and crossed the German border in Freilassing). I don't know how things are today, but between 6-8pm you may find heavy traffic and congestions between the airport and the A8 Autobahn (A92, A9 and the A99 ring).
Paulo