Drive from Marseilles to Cannes- Stops?

Old May 31st, 2014, 10:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drive from Marseilles to Cannes- Stops?

We are driving from Marseilles to Cannes in early July. What stops should we make along the way?
I had heard nice things about Cassis- seems slightly out of the way, but is it worth a stop?
Is it worth driving through Saint Tropez?

Any and all advice welcome.
Old May 31st, 2014, 11:50 PM

If you want to drive along the coast in July, count on a very long drive, as roads are extremely busy; particularly around St Tropez. If you want to see St Tropez, go very early in the morning.

I don't know how much time you have, but you could do Cassis, then get on the motorway at Toulon, bypass St Tropez, get off the motorway at Frejus and follow the Corniche de L'Esterel to Cannes.
Old Jun 1st, 2014, 12:02 AM

Yes, Cassis is pretty. So is Port Grimaud.

If you want to see St. Tropez, don't go on a Saturday because it's market day on Place des Lices and roads are even more congested than usual.
Old Jun 1st, 2014, 01:33 AM

You can't drive through St Tropez as there is only 1 road in and out of the town. At Le Lavandou, I would take the coastal road passing Rayol Canadel, its very scenic. Bormes les Mimosas is close to Le Lavandou and is a pretty perched village. The coastal road goes all the way to Nice, passing pretty places such as Les Issambres. But it depends how much time you have, early July should be OK (except St Tropez which seems to be always busy).
If you dont want to do the coastal road all the way, at St Tropez turn towards Grimaud (not Port Grimaud) and follow the road towards La Garde Freinet and you will rejoin the A8 towards Nice. The road outside St Tropez can be very busy with traffic though.
Old Jun 1st, 2014, 07:03 PM
Original Poster

@tulips I think your idea is a good one. I think we will skip St. Tropez since we have alot to see and don't want to get stuck in the congestion.

Can you confirm for me whether Marseilles to Cassis is worthwhile? Is there a way to see the cliffs outside Cassis without stopping for a boat ride? Is there any specific spot you'd recommend visiting there before we get on the motorway to Nice?
Old Jun 1st, 2014, 11:46 PM

Yes, you can drive the Route des Calanques by car from Cassis but it will only take you to the Calanque des Goudes and the Calanque de Callolongue, which still is worth the drive.
http://mcalanques.free.fr/pratique.html (see 'accès routier')
Old Jun 2nd, 2014, 01:16 AM

Cassis is worth it I think. Try the Route des Crêtes between Cassis and La Ciotat. It's wonderful. I would really skip St Tropez, the traffic in and out of that city can be insane in Juli.

Have you considered any of the small towns away from the ocean? Le Castellet or La Cadiere are great to stop for a lunch.

Alb