Bach Museum Help in Germany

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16th, 2015, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My daughter who is a piano major and myself with be in Germany in late April/early May. We are going to both Leipzig and Eisenach. There are Bach museums in both locations, but we only wish to do one. Can anyone recommend one over the other? Which is more comprehensive? Also how much time do you need at each one?
Old Feb 16th, 2015, 01:08 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I've not been to either museum, but I would definitely go to Leipzig. Eisenach is not a particularly attractive place whereas Leipzig is lovely. if you time it right you can go to a concert in the Thomaskirche, where Bach was organist for many years. If you are there on a Saturday afternoon, you can hear the boys of the Thomaskirche choir singing a Bach motet - just delightful.
Old Feb 16th, 2015, 01:18 PM

I've only been to the one in Leipzig so can't compare. It isn't huge, of course, so you probably don't need more than an hour. I play piano also and was actually a little disappointed in it compared to some museums in composer homes. But I was there anyway, didn't go just for that and I really liked Leipzig a lot. It has some wonderful things to see, other than musical.

You know there are 3 composer homes in Leipzig, not just Bach's, so aside from it being a nice town, it seems to make more sense to me to go there for that reason. Leipzig has the only Mendelssohn museum in the world, for example (he lived there about 12 years). I enjoyed it a lot. And there is the Schumann house, also, where Robert and Clara lived and there were many musical soirees. Now those are the famous keyboard composers.

Wagner was born there also, but wasn't a pianist, of course -- There isn't any Wagner museum there that I know. I'm not a Wagner fan anyway, not my type of music.

Here's some info on Leipzig, including details on the composers there http://www.leipzig.travel/en/Discove...sers_1668.html
Old Feb 16th, 2015, 01:28 PM

Yes, Leipzig for sure. There is so much to see and do and the Thomaskirche is a must-visit for Bach fans. The city was undergoing restoration when we were there and it is probably still going on. The Bach Museum should be finished by now.
Old Feb 16th, 2015, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the responses. We are going to both Eisenach and Leipzig, but will only have time to do one of the Bach museums. We are planning on going to Mendelssohn's house and the Thomaskirche in Leipzig, and maybe the Schumann house (although I read that there is not much to see there as its a music academy). In Eisenach we are doing the Luther house, Wartburg, and a small Wagner museum. (Wagner's home in Bayreuth is closed for renovation the last I read). I am looking for information on which Bach museum is better or has more information on Bach.
Old Feb 17th, 2015, 12:37 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
if you can stretch your trip to include Halle, the Haendelhaus is terrific. It's where he was born and has been converted into a fascinating museum and exhibition devoted to his life and works. One of the best of such museums that I've visited.