Drive from Avignon to Cinque Tierra

Jun 20th, 2013, 07:05 AM
Original Poster

Drive from Avignon to Cinque Tierra

We are planning a trip,to Europe this Sept and are trying to decide on the leg from Avignon to the Italian Riviera. We'd like to drive a scenic route from Avignon through Provence then through mountains east of Provence down to the coast and east along the Italian Riviera. Does anyone have a route they would suggest? We have allocated Approx 4 days for that leg. Thanks Dhruv
Jun 20th, 2013, 07:07 AM

Have you checked into the price of renting a car and dropping it in another country? Or are you going to loop back to France? The dropoff charge is likely to be very high...
Jun 20th, 2013, 07:36 AM

google has these functions....
Jun 20th, 2013, 08:51 AM

well, the region called Provence already extends down to the coast, so not sure what you are exactly referring to. Provence is basically all the way from a bit above Avignon down to the coast, and then goes east from the Rhone all the way to the border of Italy. It is true on a lot of French maps, they refer to an area called the Riviera which includes Nice and Cannes (basically the Alpes-Maritimes department), but west of there is pretty much always called Provence, even all the way up to Gap.

So I'm not sure what you are referring to but I guess you could drive east through Apt and then Manosque, cross the rivver and then I don't know that area so well to suggest anything. YOu can go south or straight across more or less.

I don't think the car rental will work that well in these 2 countries, so you would have to drop the car off in France and get another, probably, in Italy.

Search this Thread