Reload this Page >

Drive Charles de Gaulle-Chartres

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 27th, 2000, 06:54 PM
aoverbee

We will be flying into Charles De Gaulle, then driving to Chartres - avec jet lag. I have a good map but it looks very confusing as to the best way to get around Paris. Can you recommend a route (or a good overnight stop on the way to Angers)? Thank you for your suggestions.

Old Jan 27th, 2000, 08:11 PM
Rex

Using www.euroshell.com - - I plugged in Roissy to Chartres, and they show a route that connects one segment of autoroute after another - - the A1 to the A3, to the A86, to the A4, to the E15, to the A6, to the A10, to the A11! <BR> <BR>And they show 23 minutes from Roissy to Porte d'Italie (on the southwest edge of Paris, headed out towards Chartres - - yeah, right - - maybe with a car from Back to the Future! - - and then 81 minutes total to Chartres. This latter part sounds about right (one hour after getting out of Paris, but even the first part will not kill you (unless your father owns Harrods - - no, I'm not even going there...wink) <BR> <BR>Anyhow, taking the train to Chartres (and renting your car there) might be an alternative, though you have to fight for a taxi to get from Gare du Nord to Gare Montparnasse. Maybe take a taxi directly to Gare Montparnasse, from the airport, if you have the money to blow. <BR> <BR>Or there are chauffeur/shuttle services which will take you all the way to Chartres. I think I have some names, if you'd like me to search for them. Eurogreetings is one I used in the past, but they may have gone out of business. Try Carey also (yes, the same Carey as in the US - - they are invading Europe in a major way). <BR> <BR>Best wishes, <BR> <BR>Rex

Old Jan 27th, 2000, 08:19 PM
Dayle

I did exactly what Rex recommended. Took a taxi straight to Gare Montparnasse ($50 US) and train to Chartres. Picked up rental car the next morning at the train station and away I went. The traffic on a Sunday afternoon on the highway and in Paris made me feel right at home. I'm from southern California -- it was bad but not horrible.

Old Jan 28th, 2000, 03:11 AM
Dawn

My husband and I kind of did the reverse...we went from Belguim to Chatres then to Paris. We stayed in a wonderful Chateau kind of in between for 2 nights, the second day we drove to Versaille. The chateau that we stayed in was called Chateau de Jonvilliers I believe, I can double check it if you need. they have a very helpful web page. There is a wonderful place to buy wine down the street from there, wine that you isn't exported to here (much to our dismay after trying to find it here!) Please e-mail me if you need any more help

Old Jan 28th, 2000, 11:10 AM
Rex

Dawn, <BR> <BR>Well, even though nobody died and left me chairman of the awards committee, I feel compelled to say that this Chateau de Jonvililers - - www.chateaudejonvilliers.com looks like possibly THE BEST nugget of information I have seen here for the picking up all month. <BR> <BR>Wow - I can't wait to concoct a trip to work in a visit there - - and for 53 BUCKS! Are you kidding me!? Dinner's on me if you ever bump into me walking down the Champs Elysees! <BR> <BR>Merci millefois, <BR> <BR>Rex

Old Feb 1st, 2000, 07:33 PM
aoverbee

Thanks to all of you that sent replys. Rex...that's twice to you! <BR>Merci... <BR>Aoverbee