Reload this Page >

Drive Alone in Loire Valley or Tour?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 1998, 09:38 PM
Dayle

<BR>I'm going to France the first two weeks in October with friends. However, I will be able to spend a few more days than they will and am wondering if I could drive the Loire Valley for 2 days on my own? I have never been to France before, but am an adventurous single lady. I would think it would be good to pick up a car at the airport and return it there. I know trying to drive in Paris is out of the question! Would I be better off taking a tour? Your suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Old Sep 7th, 1998, 10:02 PM
Marcia

Hey - I'd go for it, especially if you dont' want to move to someone else's schedule. Tours will be thorough, but moving at your own pace and exploring some of those little towns would be great fun. Be sure you get a good guidebook so that you have up to date info on opening and closing dates and hours. It's been quite some time, but my memory is that many of the chateaux are seasonal, and you might find some with locked doors. <BR> I presume you are coming from or returning to Paris to get home - be sure to go via Chartres - not to be missed. <BR> Have a great time. Be sure to sample Touraine wines.. They are light and lovely. Vouvray is a special favorite of mine. <BR>

Old Sep 7th, 1998, 10:51 PM
jeanne

I would do it-it is really a nice drive. We have a house down near there on the Atlantic and I have made the rive many times alone. Cars are very easy to pick up and drop off at the airport-they are right on site-no little shuttles or anything and aside from the traffic on the peripherique around Paris-the drive is easy. You might also look into a drive/train deal at raileurope.com where you could take a TGV to Tours and pick up a car for 2-3days and then hop back on the train-then you could just drive around to the castles. I would personally just rent form Paris though since the castles are pretty spread apart and a Tours in the center more or less-so renting from Paris might save ou some backtracking. <BR> <BR>Feel free to e-mail me-I have driven this trip a lot over 20 years or so when friends come with us to the beach and want to see the Loire Valley. <BR> <BR>I agree about Chartres by the way-it is not to be missed if you have the time-be sure to catch Malcolm Miller's tour-search the forum under his name and you will find info <BR> <BR>Jeanne

Old Sep 8th, 1998, 01:01 PM
kam

I would not hesitate to drive in the Loire by myself. Be sure to get a copy of the Michelin green guide to the Loire and a good map first and be selective about which places to see. Otherwise all will begin to blur after a few days. Catch up on the history of the area and some of the characters in that history and it will be even more interesting. Wish I could join you! And, as stated above, Vouvray is yummy! The peripherique is very easy--just like the beltway in D.C.--a ring road, well marked and easily accessible. <BR>

Old Sep 8th, 1998, 07:16 PM
Dayle

Thanks everyone so far!! You make it sound easy and I think it would be a wonderful way to start a 2 week trip. I love wine, so will definitely be tasting my fair share! Please keep the recommendations coming...I would also like a lodging recommendation, maybe in an actual chateau or countryside B&B. I think I'll have at least 2 nights along the way. Thanks again!! <BR>

Old Sep 9th, 1998, 08:59 AM
Mike Shaw

Dayle, <BR> <BR>I have also done the Loire valley tour by car,solo, but spent about 10 days to do it. My one accomodation recommendation is the "Au Bon Laboureur" in Chenonceaux. It is a small inn, located in the village, comfortable, reasonable price, superb restaurant, and (oh well) a pool. The chateaux itself is a must see. <BR> <BR>Enjoy!

Old Sep 12th, 1998, 08:03 PM
Dayle

Thanks everyone for your info! It looks like I will do the TVG to Tours and pick up a car there. Growing up in So California and learning to drive on our freeways (bullets and all), there isn't much that intimidates me! However, combined with the fact that I'll be by myself and I don't speak the language, I think the train to the country is the best bet! Again, anyone have recommendations for lodging? Mike: thanks for the Bon Laborouer, I have put in an inquiry there. Found it in Fordor's French Inns of Charm....Also, has anyone stayed at Le Choiseul? It looks and sounds wonderful! <BR>

Old Sep 13th, 1998, 10:09 PM
Martha

Dayle-- I have no personal experience with Le Choiseul, but the French guide, Gault-Millau raves about it. I love the town of Amboise, especially the Clos Luce, Leonardo da Vinci's last home. Have you also checked <BR>www.chateaux-France.com for chateaus which take guests? Martha