Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Drive Alba to Malpensa for Flight (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/drive-alba-to-malpensa-for-flight-1676580/)

WorminRome Jan 17th, 2020 09:47 AM

Drive Alba to Malpensa for Flight

All, I am not familiar with the area, however we are thinking about leaving in the morning from Roddi (near Alba) for our flight out of Malpensa. Our flight leaves Malpensa at 12:35, but we will have to do a car drop off. We are thinking that if we leave at 7AM that should give us plenty of time to do the 1:45 drive, drop off the car, and get to our flight. This drive will be in mid-May on a Sunday (so no rush hour traffic).

I know the general wisdom is to stay somewhere closer, but we are hesitant to "waste" a day/night. Thoughts?

StCirq Jan 17th, 2020 10:08 AM

I don't ever do this. I'd be hesitant to "miss a flight." You'll probably be fine, but.....

ekscrunchy Jan 17th, 2020 01:10 PM

I did this and it was ok, but there are some reportedly nice hotels near good eating near Malpensa....

Jean Jan 17th, 2020 02:32 PM

Google Maps estimates this drive could take between 1:40 and 2:10 hours on a Sunday morning departing at 7:00 a.m. I never accept the fastest Google estimate as realistic and always add 15-20%, which would probably mean close to 2:10 hours. Then, dropping off a rental car is sometimes quick and sometimes not, so I factor a "worst case scenario" amount of time for the process. The rest is luck.

I'm a scaredy-cat, and I admit it. I'd spend the night closer to the airport.

knoxvillecouple Jan 18th, 2020 07:46 AM

A couple years ago we left Alba around 9:00 am and dropped off our rental at Malpensa (no problems) well before noon (on a Saturday). We actually spent the night at a hotel near Malpensa (our flight was at 10:45 the next morning). Unless you’re really risk-averse, I’d be inclined to drive direct the morning of the flight, particularly since you envision leaving Alba at 7:00 am and your flight is a bit after noon. I’d imagine you’d be at your gate by 11:00 am. Obviously your call.

mazzaschi Jan 18th, 2020 02:36 PM

I would do it, those roads are no probllem. Just be disciplined - settle your bill the night before and make a reminder list the night before for the sleepy morning you. Research the gasoline options near Malpensa on Sunday and familiarize yourself with getting gas at a closed Italian gas station using the cash self-service machine.

ahbonvraiment Jan 21st, 2020 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by mazzaschi (Post 17048490)
I would do it, those roads are no probllem. Just be disciplined - settle your bill the night before and make a reminder list the night before for the sleepy morning you. Research the gasoline options near Malpensa on Sunday and familiarize yourself with getting gas at a closed Italian gas station using the cash self-service machine.

the last 3 times I wanted to rank around malpensa the stations had signs saying that either the cards reader was defect or the tank sir self service was defect. Since they add 30 cents a litre to be serviced I drive additional 15 min to find a correct tank station.
I am a curmudgeon.

WorminRome Jan 21st, 2020 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by mazzaschi (Post 17048490)

Filling the rental near an airport might be my least favorite part of our trip.

WorminRome Jan 21st, 2020 06:52 AM

We decided to stay an extra night near Alba and will drive to Malpensa on our departure date. Thank you for the comments. Should this be a massive fail I will report back.