Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Drinks with a view in Venice (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/drinks-with-a-view-in-venice-699384/)

christieCA Apr 23rd, 2007 02:53 PM

Drinks with a view in Venice

I have given into the fact that we will not be able to enjoy dinner with a view in Venice and still enjoy our food. What about drinks? Is there somewhere we can go, sit outside, drink some vino, and gaze at the Grand Canal?

Thanks,
Christie

Statia Apr 23rd, 2007 03:11 PM

My personal favorite is Osteria Bancogiro (Campo San Giacometto 122, San Polo (00 39 041 523 2061) 10am-3pm & 6pm-1am, closed Sunday evening and all day Monday).

When I sit there either day or night, I feel as if I've died and gone to heaven. :)

bktport Apr 23rd, 2007 03:48 PM

OK, just returned from Venice. Had lunch and later drinks with different views of the Grand Canal. Do not know the names of the places, but:

Lunch was just after arriving by train. After leaving the train station, go left along the Grand Canal and down the street a little way. There are one or two restaurants that have terraces on the canal. You can not see this from the street, but they may have a sign. Just go through to the back and the terrace. We just shared a pizza.

For drinks (they also serve food, but it was too early) we stopped right next to the Rialto Bridge. As you approach the bridge from San Marco along the canal, cross over the bridge, but not the canal. There is a little place right there, the tables are partly under the bridge. Not too expensive for a glass of wine, considering it is Venice.

Lexma90 Apr 23rd, 2007 04:21 PM

In the San Polo sestiere, near the Rialto, are several canal-side bars or cafes. The one we sat at had drinks only; others might serve other items as well. It was a fabulous spot to sit and watch the boats on the water.

My favorite spot to sit, however, is in San Marco's Square. It's incredibly overpriced, but I put myself into denial mode over how much one cafe is costing, and nurse the drink for as long as I can while people-watching.

ExpertTripPlanner Apr 23rd, 2007 04:25 PM

Rooftop of Hotel Danieli.

eurogals Apr 23rd, 2007 04:42 PM

You can have a cocktail in the garden of the The Hotel Cipriani, the most luxurious hotel in the World. The hotel operates a free boat service to and from their private landing stage at Piazzetta San Marco (beside St Mark's Square) 24 hours a day. The launch crosses the lagoon in just a few spectacular minutes.

CIP'S CLUB is one of their bars.
Enjoy an early evening cocktail before dinner as you watch the sun set across Venice from the best vantage point, the floating pontoon of Cip's Club on the Fondamente della Zitelle with its breathtaking views across to St Mark's Square.

Go to their website and see and read for yourself. This might be something you are interested in doing.

http://www.hotelcipriani.com/

Enjoy Venice.

Girlspytravel Apr 23rd, 2007 05:57 PM

Christie-there are three excellent romantic restaurants where you can dine canalside and watch the gondolas float by, two in San Marco, the other on the Grand Canal:

1. TRATTORIA SEMPIONE-wonderful seafood, excellent staff, and those tables by the canal- you can in fact reach out and touch a gondola as it goes by-great place, the outside of the restaurant gets photographed a lot because it is quite picturesque.

If you click on this photograph someone took of it on the right, you'll see how lovely it is-my friends and I dined there last summer-it was a wonderful evening, and the location puts you in a Venice frame of mind-moderately expensive.

members.tripod.com/pkarle/sempione.htm

The other restaurant, which specializes in Tuscan cuisine, but serves seafood as well, is called DA IVO-on Calle Ramo dei Fuseri, in San Marco. Quite expensive, very tiny, but the reviews of the food are excellent, and it IS on a canal (the Rio Fuseri-where gondolas glide by. (Fodor's recommends this restaurant). The restaurant is 3 minutes from Teatro La Fenice, off the Frezzerie, and about 5 minutes from Piazza San Marco. Another poster on another thread raved about the food here.

And my favorite bacaro (wine bar) which sits directly on the Grand Canal, with a vaporetto stop in front of it (Rialto Mercate) not only serves very good meals, at very good prices, but it has outdoor tables right in front of the Canal Grande (in fact, the new hotel owned by the lovely owners of the Locanda Orseolo is just across the water on the opposite side of the Canal Grande from Bancogiro). Bancogiro also has an upstairs dining room, with candles, that faces the Grand Canal-love this place, this is one of my regular hang-outs in Venice.

Statia Apr 23rd, 2007 05:57 PM

I agree with eurogals. Cipriani is the epitome of elegance in Venice. :)

Zeke Apr 23rd, 2007 07:27 PM

Sorry, to hijack your thread. We will be staying returning to Locanda Orseolo in June. Has the new hotel changed operations at the old hotel?

sarge56 Apr 23rd, 2007 07:39 PM

OK, folks. Will it look silly for a middle-aged woman and her adult daughter to wine/dine in these places? Everyone describes these as "romantic", so I don't want to feel uncomfortable there with my darling daughter instead of my Romeo. Is there a more "Cosmopolitan" place for great drinking views? :)

Statia Apr 23rd, 2007 07:46 PM

No, not by any means, sarge56. You will not look out of place to enjoy an evening with your daughter. There will be people of all ages and genders enjoying one another's company.

So, enjoy. :)

Girlspytravel Apr 23rd, 2007 08:00 PM

Statia-I just noticed you and I both recommended Bancogiro-we do like the same places!

Sarge, believe me, I go to these places with friends (Trattoria Sempione and Bancogiro) and Bancogiro I go alone frequently (but usually just go to the wine bar and have cicetti-and I do like their outdoor tables for lunch). You will feel perfectly at home at Trattoria Sempione and Bancogiro-no worries there Da Ivo is a bit more intimate, but that wouldn't, nor shouldn't, stop you from going at all, if you were so inclined-particularly if you like steaks-because that's one of their specialties.

As far as romantic, if one thinks that gondolas are the ultimate romantic symbol of Venice, and in a sense they are, then why is it, I was thinking just a few weeks ago while in Venice, that all I was seeing in the gondolas gliding by were single women with their babies, whole families, friends-I swear it has been a long time since I've seen what I would consider a romantic couple in a gondola-I've seen everything but!

Statia Apr 23rd, 2007 08:48 PM

Yes, Girlspytravel....we have often liked the same places/areas of magical Venezia. And, if I'm not mistaken, even some of the same charm on the island of Saba. ;)

christieCA Apr 23rd, 2007 09:59 PM

Wow, thanks so much for the great replies. I really appreciate it. We weren't planning on going to Venice at all, but we are squeezing it in as a one night stop. Since we will only be there a little more than 24 hours, we are focusing more on absorbing the atmosphere than seeing the sites and I think the places you recommend will help us with that!

Girlspytravel - we were planning on going to La Zucca for dinner since I could not find any reviews that combined good food and good views. Would you recommend we stick with that plan or switch to one of the restaurants that you mention?

Thanks again!

flygirl Apr 26th, 2007 12:55 PM

oooooh, good thread, I just saw this.

flygirl Apr 26th, 2007 12:58 PM

ps. check out the photos:

http://www.worldisround.com/articles/306719/photo7.html

http://www.worldisround.com/articles/305696/photo3.html

nytraveler Apr 26th, 2007 05:47 PM

Agree on roof of Danieli or porch of Harry's.

Girlspytravel Apr 26th, 2007 05:57 PM

Harry's Bar is crap-but if you want to go there simply because it's written up in every tourist guide, well, go there, look inside, and then say if it's not the most uninviting of places.

Rooftop of Danieli's is great, IF you want to spend multo Euros for it...

Girlspytravel Apr 26th, 2007 06:14 PM

Statia-yes, we do. And I was thinking of that odd little Shangri-la island just the other day, wondering, if it was still the same....

jjkbrook Apr 26th, 2007 07:21 PM

The funny thing about the Grand Canal is that it is mostly edged by palaces built right up to the edge (with their own water entrances) - so there are not that many ways to get down to the canal and get a view, and really not many places to eat facing onto the canal.

There are plenty of other places to eat with water views though. La Zucca has a terrace area overlooking a small canal and bridge so it will certainly give the Venetian atmosphere.

I have seen recommendations for Osteria Fontana - it is on Fdta Cannaregio, facing the Cannaregio canal, near the ghetto and the Guglie vaporetto stop and just a couple calle's down from the Guglie bridge. Its a simple place which offers classic seafood specialties.

There are quite a number of restaurants on the inner Cannaregio rios which set up tables out on the canal fronts also, as well as a couple of places up on the Fdta Nuove - Algiubagio and da Alvise both near the vaporetto stop.