I need help on our upcoming trip to Berlin and Prague

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3rd, 2008, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm starting to plan our next trip, this time to Berlin and Prague and anything in between. We will be there for 2 weeks in May with 5 days in Berlin (is that enough time?) and 2 days in Prague. We love to drive so we can stop at places along the way.
Can anyone help with an itinerary? We have never been to Germany so are unfamilar with key places to see.
We love anything concerning WWII, seeing major sights, 3 star hotels with convenient transportation with a city and taking in the everyday life of a city.
Thanks in advance.....
Old Mar 4th, 2008, 04:03 AM

We visited Prague, Dresden and Berlin (with a day trip to Schwerin) during our 10 days trip last summer.

We travelled by train all the time. Here's my trip report, you might get some ideas:

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=35093170

We didn't do WWII sights this time, however there is an important concentration camp near Berlin: Sachsenhausen.
Old Mar 4th, 2008, 04:09 AM

I think five full days in Berlin is plenty for a first trip. I would consider including a day out in nearby Potsdam if you have any interest at all in palaces...either the "new" palace or the Sans Souci you might find enjoyable.

I've been to both berlin (several times) and Prague but only traveled by rail between the two so cannot advise as to stopovers along the way unless you'd be willing to include Dresden.
Old Mar 4th, 2008, 04:25 AM

Our trip report from our Prague/Berlin trip in late 2006

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34908758
Old Mar 4th, 2008, 07:19 AM

Also agree that 5 days is fine for Berlin. Would suggest 3 for Prague. I'd definitely recommend Dresden. We were only there for 1 day and easily wished we had planned for 2 or 3. The restorations are amazing and it's a beautiful mix of old and new. The center city is very walkable. It's a fascinating place. We also found it less crowded.
Old Mar 4th, 2008, 09:46 AM

Definitely include Dresden. I'd say three nights would be a good idea. Won't be enough to see everything of interest, though ...

Other places to think about: Lutherstadt Wittenberg, Torgau, Meissen (!), Leipzig, Görlitz.

I see that you're mostly interested in cities, not countryside. You should, however, allow yourself a bit R&R time in the very scenic National Park Saxon Switzerland south of Dresden along the Elbe river valley. Plenty of things to do and see there, too. Castles, scenic outlooks, paddle steamboat rides, short hikes/walks. And Bad Schandau is a nice small spa town, centrally located.

In that town just last fall a 5star spa hotel opened in that town - and the best is you can get rooms there for very reasonable prices, e.g. double room from 130 Euro per night. Worth a splurge.

Ingo
Old Mar 4th, 2008, 09:52 AM

I would definitely switch at least one day from Berlin to Prague which IMHO is much more interesting. Agree Potsdam is a good place to spend a day - but we did this as a day trip from Berlin - and then trained from Berlin to Prague.
Old Mar 4th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks you all so much for these wonderful ideas! Is flying in and out of Berlin the best idea? Can a rental car be drive into the Czech Republic from Germany? How is the weather in May?
Old Mar 4th, 2008, 03:56 PM

No - you're better off flying into Berlin and out of Prague - or vice versa - to prevent wasting most of a day backtracking.

Most cars rented in Germany (not usually the most expensive and ask the rental agency before hand) can be driven to Prague. but you will pay a drop off charge.

Unless you want to stop at a lot of small places along the way (versus doing a couple of day trips from each city) you might be better with trains.