Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   drinks at Paris Ritz...help! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/drinks-at-paris-ritz-help-667975/)

artlvr Jan 7th, 2007 07:20 AM

drinks at Paris Ritz...help!

WIll be in Paris first week of March and want to take a friend to see the opulence of the Ritz. We are two girls with a tight budget. Just want to stop in for hot chocolate or something light to eat. Please advise on which room, (bar?)what to order so as not to waste time of the staff. Thanks!

travelhorizons Jan 7th, 2007 07:26 AM

Go for the Hemingway Bar. It's just inside the front door to the left.

degas Jan 7th, 2007 07:34 AM

Just make sure you dress all in black, look slightly bored, and act like you are part owner of the place. Keep your fannypack under your red satin cloak.

richardsonsnm Jan 7th, 2007 07:38 AM

be prepared to spend 50 euro, easy.

Cimbrone Jan 7th, 2007 07:59 AM

The amount you will end up spending will not make the visit worthwhile, in my opinion. I found the lobby of the Ritz quite underwhelming.

If you're dressed up, they probably won't stop you from popping in. Once you've had your look around, head up the street to Laduree on the Rue Royale. Ask to be seated upstairs and have your hot chocolate there. Better surroundings, less stuffy, and lots cheaper.

NorthShore Jan 7th, 2007 07:59 AM

At those prices, I'd like to just poke my head in for a quick look around and then find some place else for the drinks.

Possible? Too many icy stares from the staff?

NorthShore Jan 7th, 2007 08:01 AM

Thanks Cimbrone, we posted at the same time.

artlvr Jan 7th, 2007 08:36 AM

Thanks to all..LOL! I agree, maybe I can pull off the slightly bored all black thing(thanks Degas) and take a peek and then head elsewhere ( she also wants to go to the Angelina) Laduree is a good one as well Cimbrone. Merci beaucoup!

gracejoan3 Jan 7th, 2007 09:10 AM

I have been in Paris in December..did some wandering around, and have stopped into the Ritz for a coffee warmup. Pleasant atmosphere in every way....

Byrd Jan 7th, 2007 10:29 AM

We went for a drink on a Sunday afternoon, and the Hemingway Bar was closed. Tea was, however, being served.

I may not remember correctly, but I think the Hemingway Bar was not the room to the left, but down the hall and to the right. But it could be that I am thinking of some other spiffy place.

The staff was very cordial, and seemed pleased to allow us to look around.

By the way, the ladies' room is lovely.

Byrd

StCirq Jan 7th, 2007 10:32 AM

The Café de la Paix on the Opéra (part of the Grand Intercontinental) is another fabulous spot for a drink, and possibly less expensive than the Ritz.

Linda431 Jan 7th, 2007 10:34 AM

That's our favorite thing to do in Paris. The Hemingway Bar is the firt room to the left.

artlvr Jan 7th, 2007 12:08 PM

ok, we could feasibly show up for JUST hot chocolate and not be ousted as heathens?? Are any desserts available as well? I know the Hemingway is closed during the day hours. This appears to be more of an afternoon request to me...so as not to interfere with more serious diners in the evening.

gracejoan3 Jan 7th, 2007 12:10 PM

I have been in the Hemingway Bar in the morning for coffee..a chilly morning.........

Toupary Jan 7th, 2007 12:11 PM

artlvr,

This might be a good place for a nightcap.

m_kingdom2 Jan 7th, 2007 12:18 PM

If you go anywhere in the evening you should order a cocktail, or something with a little alcohol in it. A hot chocolate isn't really the thing.

As for a "light bite" expect to part with 100EUR for two.

degas Jan 7th, 2007 01:08 PM

"If you go anywhere in the evening you should order a cocktail, or something with a little alcohol in it. A hot chocolate isn't really the thing.'

M_2, how's the liver transplant working out for you?

Cimbrone Jan 7th, 2007 02:33 PM

The ritz did not strike me as a dessert and hot drinks type of place. Paris is famous for its tea salons which are made for just that sort of thing. As you know, there's Laduree, Angelina's. There's also A Priori The and others.

I'd say that if you want some place over the top, go to Le Train Bleu in the Gare du Nord and have a drink at the bar there one evening. Or, as someone suggested, the Cafe de la Paix.

The last place I want to drop 50 to 100 euros is the kind of place where, if I don't drop 50 to 100 euros, they act like I have no business being there. Why subject yourself to something like that?

Sometimes the IDEA of something is much better than the reality. There are much more impressive and welcoming places for what you're looking for.

realshalott Jan 7th, 2007 04:17 PM

I have had afternoon tea at the
Ritz a few times, and I really enjoy it, especially if I am not in a rush.
There are a few options for a set menu for tea, or you can order hot beverages and pastries or snacks a la carte. I've had this in the Bar Vendome. It makes a nice break if you're going to have a late dinner.
There is also a Sunday brunch in the Ritz Salon.

www.ritzparis.com

artlvr Jan 7th, 2007 06:38 PM

Thank you all for your input. I agree with the general view of just taking in the Ritz visually. I will spend my money elsewhere! Maybe even Mariage Freres..??