Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Grand Hotel des Balcons or alternatives to Hotel de Fleurie in 6th?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6th, 2001, 10:30 PM
Gretchen

My husband and I will be in Paris in late September and want to stay in a 2 or 3 star hotel in the 6th. The Hotel de Fleurie sounds perfect but it's booked. Contacted the Grand Hotel des Balcons based on positive comments here, and they have rooms available, but I'm a little skeptical because the price seems too good to be true(544 ff for a double) and also because the bathrooms sound kind of out-dated based on commets here. Can anyone either reassure me about the Balcons (especiallly the showers) or recommend an alternative to the Hotel de Fleurie in the 6th for under $120/night? Most important factors are (1) location (cute/fun neighborhood, near a metro stop, left bank), (2) charm or character (but not necessarily upscale or fancy -- can be simple), and (3) relataively modern shower/bathroom (but don't need extras like blowdryer, etc). Thanks for any info/advice you can give!! <BR> <BR>

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 04:34 AM
Monica

I have stayed at Balcons two times now (1999 and 2000) and have enjoyed my visit. You can read my comments at http://www.luvtotravel.homestead.com/home.html I'll state here you won't go wrong in picking Balcons. Great location, friendly service. Clean, average size rooms (room 601 on top floor is small but with partial view of the E. tower!). Odeon metro is a couple of block away as well as the Luxembourg gardens. All comments about Balcons here on Fodors have been very good. Don't let the price scare you. You will be satisfied staying there. The next time I return to Paris, I'll stay at Balcons!

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 09:14 AM
Gretchen

Thanks, Monica. You didn't mention anything about the bathrooms. Were the showers fairlly regular or bathtub only? And I just read a post about how hot Europe is this summer. Does the Balcons have a/c? <BR> <BR>Any other comments out there?

Old Jul 7th, 2001, 09:34 AM
Liz

We stayed at the GH des Balcons a couple of weeks ago and were quite happy with the location and the room itself. But to answer your question - no AC and hand-held shower in a tub.

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 03:07 PM
lisa

I love the Balcons -- was just there in May and would definitely stay there again -- but I would say (1) my room had only a tub with hand-held shower (no shower curtain), which I didn't mind, but you might, and (2) I would not say the decor in my room was charming at all. It was clean and comfortable and the location was fantastic, but the decor in the room was very simple and spare. The price is great, the staff is helpful, and some of the rooms have little balconies. Also, the breakfast was excellent for the price. I would definitely stay there again as long as it was not at a time of year when I would need air conditioning -- in the summer I'd probably spring for someplace with A/C. I think there was a recent thread on this very subject -- if you search using the word "Balcons" you may bring up a thread listing alternatives. Good luck.

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 03:14 PM
Great

When I saw the rooms at the Balcons, they reminded me of my college dorm. If you are looking for a clean, nice place to stay, in a great location, this is it! Just don't expect Laura Ashley.

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 03:37 PM
Monica

Tub, no curtain. Good size bathroom in #601 (corner room at top floor). The bathrooms aren't tiny like some other places I've been to. As one of the other posters stated, no A/C.

Old Jul 9th, 2001, 04:22 PM
charlotte

You might want to try the Relais Saint <BR>Sulpice. It is in the 6th district and <BR>about the same price as Fleurie. It is <BR>further from the metro,but the area <BR>around is fun to window shop.