Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   dressing for Paris? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/dressing-for-paris-68050/)

Nancy Apr 10th, 2000 04:34 PM

dressing for Paris?

First time to Paris July 5-12. How do I dress? I ususally do beach vacations or US cities, so I have no idea what to wear in Paris!

karen Apr 10th, 2000 04:54 PM

black linen, black silk, black tencel maybe (navy, navy, and navy will also be good)

Bob Brown Apr 10th, 2000 05:22 PM

Well, you could wear just about anything in my experience. Having read the various posts on this forum before our visit last September, my wife and I trotted off to Paris equipped to go to the opera and sit elegantly in the second most expensive seats in the house. So we showed up at the Opera de la Bastille, clad in our Sunday best, only to be seated next to a French gentleman elegantly clad in a T Shirt!! It must have been a formal T shirt because it was black. <BR>My reaction is that unless they throw you out before you get in, what the heck does it matter. <BR>After being seated at one of the nicer places along Boulevard Mont Parnasse, we suddenly realized that the gentleman at the next table was clad in shoes, trousers, and an undershirt. Nothing more. So after those two experiences, I am beginning to wonder. Now admittedly the man was strange. He kept talking to himself. So perhaps he was seated as the village eccentric. But he was seated none the less.

julia Apr 10th, 2000 07:08 PM

Try to keep it light. It usually gets quite hot by mid June and the city pollution doesn't help much either.

gb Apr 10th, 2000 07:51 PM

Answers to questions on "what to wear " in European cities usually indicate to wear black in the summer. Why not white? Isn't black hot to wear in the summer anywhere? Isn't white cooler? Do residents not wear white in summer?

Lori Apr 11th, 2000 04:52 AM

I suppose you could wear white if you enjoy doing laundry while you're away. White is going to get extemely dirty, very quickly. The great thing about black and navy is that they don't show the dirt as much. Paris is a gorgeous city, but it is still a city with dirt from cars and Metros, etc.

Jen Apr 11th, 2000 05:16 AM

Have a great time in Paris! <BR> <BR>Do know that it'll be hot. <BR> <BR>I find the best way to 'blend' in there is to NOT wear sneakers/tennis shoes. Those Parisian women are beautifully dressed (they were in May and September at least). Black is the color definitely, blouses and skirts for dinners, no stockings, sandels, heels, scarfs. <BR> <BR>Have a blast! Bon voyage!

Carol Apr 11th, 2000 05:47 AM

I agree with Karen. In Paris, if you want to blend in, wear black or navy. White outfits are definitely not an option. If you can't stand wearing dark colors, wear beige or gray or taupe.

s.fowler Apr 11th, 2000 07:24 AM

Beige is good:) [kinda dirt colored] I usually take black and beige, plus two pairs of shoes. Although I just bought a large "faux pashmina" shawl for planes and trains... The most important hing is comfort - fortunately loose, unconstructed clothing is "in", is comfortable and packs well :)

Robyn Apr 11th, 2000 07:25 AM

I agree with everyone else! Parisian put much importance on the way they look and act - vain or not - that's just the way it is. I wouldn't wear tennis shoes, T-shirts, fanny pack, backpack or even jeans (going next month and that last one KILLS me! I'm from Texas! :) I notice that I am treated nicer than my companions that aren't dressed 'as well'. That sounds awful, but the truth. You will also notice that Parisian women walk with their heads up, shoulders back and with a little pomp. It's all about form and elegance. You will have a wonderful time-it's the greatest city in the world!! Now, I must go and wash all of my dark clothes....

s.fowler Apr 11th, 2000 07:29 AM

It's hot pink - the shawl - and the shoes are black and comfortable :)

tourist Apr 11th, 2000 08:15 AM

Nancy: A slightly different view: I took my 4th trip to Paris last summer -- had to go in July to accomodate business trips and daughter's school year. Maybe my slightly different perspective is framed by the fact that in my single days, I was blessed by fortune to be able to take 2 bike trips to France: once you've gotten used to traveling in spandex and whipping off your bike helmet to reveal heat-plastered hair, and still be warmly received in lovely hotels and nice cafes, it's pretty hard to accept that the French don't welcome appreciative, respectful tourists. <BR>It is indeed very warm in the summer in Paris. I was not aware of this forum at that time, so I wore (gasp) colorful shirts, altho I will admit that my black lightweight slacks (a nice knit) got lots of wear: they just about refuse to wrinkle, are cool and comfortable, and varying the tops gave lots of different looks. Because it was quite hot, by the time that we hit the countryside (in case you will also) we spent much of our time during the day in shorts, and still gained admittance to places that we wanted to be in. <BR>I am by nature and coloring not inclined to black tops, so perhaps I didn't really "blend in" and look French. But, as is often pointed out here, I fit in really well in the line at the Eiffel tower and all the other lovely tourist must-sees that I visited, and even tho I speak pretty decent French, my family insisted on giving us away as tourists by relying on "american" speech. And, guess what: we were still treated splendidly by the various and sundry and many, many French people we came in contact with. <BR>This general friendliness and warmth that we encountered in Paris and elsewhere in our travels also came despite the fact that during the day (horrors!) we wore very comfortable, NOT BLACK walking shoes. <BR>Having said that, I would clarify that we tried to never looked "sloppy", always looked as if we were awestruck at the many beauties of the country, its buildings & sites, and as if we loved it all! And, because I envision frequent trips to Europe now that my daughter has hit the age where she appreciates it all and understands much, I do indeed plan to spring the bucks for some high-quality walking shoes that will be non-white. But, if I thought I wouldn't be going back for a few years, I might not. And I still won't dress all in black and beiges! <BR>Have a lovely trip! Dress nicely, but know that you're also setting an opinion as an American abroad, not just as a Parisian wannabe! <BR>

Caitlin Apr 11th, 2000 09:41 AM

I just returned from Paris, and I have to say that we saw Parisians dressed in just about anything/everything...though not white tennis shoes. There were plenty of jeans, though not the majority as in the US. (Parisian teenagers, however, were clad in nothing but jeans and white tennis shoes!) We wore casual clothes, though dark colors and no jeans or tennis shoes, and felt comfortable (we were in casual restaurants, cafes, etc; obviously, you'll dress up more for fancier places). You will stand out as a tourist anyway, because you're speaking English, looking for a map, and jostling for a position in front of the Mona Lisa! That sais, no one has mentioned thar people don't really wear shorts on the street, even when it's hot. So bring other cool clothes.

Laura Gridley Apr 12th, 2000 09:11 AM

Hi! I've been to paris a few times and the first time was during the winter. We stayed in the area around the Louvre and the people/esp women were very elegantly dressed. There were definitely no jeans, tennis shoes, "ski jackets" or anything else that looked like a casual american outfit. The only people I saw wearing things like that were myself, my ex-husband, and two other american girls. Once we got out of the center of Paris and were in the countryside people did seem to dress more casually. This past time I was in paris in July and it was totally different. I brought more classic clothes such as black pants, black skirt/dress, nice khakis and felt more comfortable, however, it did not seem that people were dressed as nicely as I had noticed before. Perhaps there were more tourists, or maybe it was the area we stayed in. My sister and I did wear shorts occasionally, but they were khaki and black shorts and we didn't notice that we felt completely out of place. The vast majority of French people I have met on my trips there have been very helpful, friendly, and kind. I think as long as you are friendly, not pompous and don't expect everyone to speak english (i.e. ask in french at least first if they speak english and maybe attempt a few words in french humbly) they respond very positively. One thing I did notice, the french people seemed to be much quieter in conversation than americans. My ex-husband and I noticed that on the metros you could hardly hear people talking that were immediately next to us. if you have any questions feel free to email me! Have fun on your trip! Laura

Autumn Cuellar Apr 12th, 2000 09:40 AM

When talking to Europeans, I found that the most identifying Americanism is white socks. Silly thing to notice, but they don't understand why Americans wear white socks all the time. They either wear funky colored socks or none at all. However, as others pointed out, they're going to pick you out as a tourist regardless, but they are much more receptive if you attempt to speak French or Spanish.

Paula Apr 17th, 2000 04:43 PM

I agree with all the black, but I wear black here in the US all the time, too. I found my black capri pants were quite useful: comfortbale, don't show dirt, look good with black sandals (I went last July). I ususally wore colored tops, grey, eggplant, red, pale pink to break up all that black. I brought a black sweater set and used the black sweater with everything. Almost all the tops I brought were trendy sort of tank top type things (not revealing in any way - don't go there for sure - think classy, modest). Silk is a good call, too, packs small, washes easy but requires an iron. You don't see a whole lot of folks wearing wrinkled clothes in Paris, so I'd say a small travel iron is a fine thing to have while there (we ended up borrowing one from a friend who lived there, this time we may bring our own). No-wrinkle fabrics are awesome, of course, too. I think the posture issue someone pointed out earlier (head up, chin up) is key to pulling off the look. Don't overlook finding the right shoes, which can require a search. They are the most important thing you bring. They should be comfortable, but fasionable, and hopefully go with a variety of outfits. Have a great trip!

Donna Apr 17th, 2000 08:53 PM

I'd like to mention that when everyone recommends wearing black, we don't mean from top to toe every day. I always take black bottoms (skirts and tailored slacks), a black jacket (silk or wool, depending on the season), and black shoes and bag. Then, I add some white and ivory tees (the pima cotton dressy type), a very nice ivory blouse, a cable cardigan in a beautiful and flattering color, and another jacket in another beautiful and flattering color, along with a few scarves, etc. I like oblong scarves because they can also be used as a sash/belt around the waist. Sometimes, I take a "little black dress" which, with a nice cardigan or jacket in a color (or black with a colorful scarf) will comfortably take you to the fanciest of places. Next time you're at the bookstore, have a look at the new book, "The Parisian Woman's Guide to Style". You'll see immediately why the Parisian ladies are turned out so elegantly. You might also want to check out the French magazines at a large bookstore or magazine rack. Perusing the articles and ads will give you an idea (but, keep in mind that not many ladies stateside dress like the ads in Vogue). On days you're planning to do the tourist sights and cafes, then change for dinner, anything goes. You'll see everything imaginable (including shorts, sneakers...). You'll also see residents in some interesting garb - but not the more "chic" folks. I would recommend avoiding linen. No matter what, it always looks like you've slept in it for days. Light colors (especially for the bottom half of your outfit) are not practical when you'll be riding the metro/buses/taxis, sitting in outdoor cafes and on outdoor benches, etc. I'd agree with taupe/khaki, though. It's a nice alternative to black, but I usually bring it home unworn. My raincoat matches the dirty water it drags in when sitting in the metro and going up and down steps after it's rained. When a friend of mine e-mailed me with a list of her newly purchased wardrobe items for her trip to Paris, I replied that she might want to throw in a black dress and a black skirt. She wrote after she returned to let me know that she was sure glad to have the black items along once she determined that her "treasures" were "all wrong".

Bernadette Apr 18th, 2000 07:29 PM

My husband and I were in Paris and also the countryside last May. I was shocked as how simply beautiful the french women are. Each one, young or old seemed to be very feminine. For the most part the clothing seemed to be a solid color and very simple lines. The skirts were several inches below the knee and the blouses were plain. I swear they all wear wonderful skirts and great blouses and absolutly nothing else. I did not wear any jeans at all and no gym shoes for the time I was there. I was very comfortable. I did not dress up except for one evening we had a very nice dinner. We are so hooked on linen here in the USA. I was always wrinkled and it drove me nuts. Cotton knits would be my next pick. Beware...My curling iron did not work, the blow dryer did not work even with the 2 voltage gismos we brought. Buy the cheepest hair appliances you can find when you get there.I had an unforgetable time and will go back as often as I possibly can. I'm sure I could spend several months in just the northwestern quarter of the country. Enjoy!

ray seva Apr 19th, 2000 03:35 PM

I'll be going to Paris in 3-weeks..I can hardly wait! Here's what I'm planning on wearing/packing: <BR> <BR>- my baseball cap (to be worn backwards, of course.) <BR>-my $150 Nike basketball high-tops, with the shoelaces untied. <BR>-Hooters T-shirts <BR>-slightly baggy terry-cloth warmup suits which I bought on sale for $20 at Target. <BR>-bolo ties, for when I go out to eat at one of them fancy restaurants. <BR>-And for really hot days, my favorite combo: Stonewashed Levi's knee-length shorts...tie-dyed tank-top...white athletic socks (with two stripes at the top) and the aforementioned $150 Nike hightops. <BR> Whoooo-eeee...I can't wait! <BR> <BR>PS. I'm not gonna get bogged down by carrying a French-English dictionary. I figure I'll just TALK LOUDER AND SLOWLY to any of them french locals. THAT oughta get me understood just fine, don't you think? <BR> <BR>PS God bless the U-S of A. <BR> <BR>PSPS: Jeez...I hope you all know I'm only kidding!

Zepcat Apr 20th, 2000 10:38 AM

All right, my trip to Paris and Rome has already cost me enough; now I have to buy a new wardrobe??? I'm not sure I understand what the big deal is about sneakers, white socks, and blue jeans. OK, I may not look like a typical Parisian, but I'm not a typical Parisian; I'm an American tourist visiting Paris and pumping large sums of money into their economy. I find it hard to believe that anyone anywhere would be appalled by seeing blue jeans and sneakers. I'm 26, my wife is 24, so maybe we're just naive, but my wardrobe has been the least of my concerns while planning this trip. No, I'm not going to wear Hooter's t-shirts, jean shorts, or anything tasteless, but I'm not going to try to fool anybody that I'm a local; walking through the streets of Paris and pausing to take snapshots is going to give me away, even if I am dressed in black from head to toe. Or should I not take snapshots or video either?