Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Dress standards in Paris............ (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/dress-standards-in-paris-907366/)

nicean Sep 26th, 2011 09:25 PM

Dress standards in Paris............

Hi guys,

we are going to Paris and doing the Eiffel tower rest, Moulon rouge show and siene river cruise......
We have been told that the guys have to wear Jacket an Tie to the Rest and show....
being as we are trying to keep our luggage weight down....

Can someone tell me what would pass as a suitable "dinner Jacket" ????????

And how compulsory it is ???????????

we dont want to lugg unneccessary gear with us, But we dont want to be Not allowed in either.........

iberiantraveler Sep 26th, 2011 09:54 PM

I don't know who told you that, but most places in Paris are rather tolerant and casual, with a few exceptions. I've never eaten at Jules Verne, as frankly it's not worth the cost and if they require a jacket, then forget it all together. There are dozens of great restaurants in the immediate area where a jacket is not required to experience great Parisian cuisine.

If you go, and they do require a jacket, they should be able to provide you with one.

greg Sep 26th, 2011 11:01 PM

Which Eiffel Tower restaurant and for which meal?

I have been to Michelin starred restaurants in France and I don't recall any of them, including Jules Verne, having mandatory dress code at the upper end. I usually see a mix of suit and tie, sport jacket and tie, sport jacket no tie, and shirt and sweater. I think it is more of what you feel comfortable when others around you are dressed up for meals at that price range. I suspect that there are (unwritten) dress code at the lower end -- shorts, t-shirts, training pants, etc.

If you have a difficult to fit body type, I would not count on a restaurant having a suitable jacket without looking even more awkward.

Unless you have sight set on Michelin starred restaurants, there are many wonderful restaurants in Paris you don't even have to think about bringing jackets.

You can always ask restaurants regarding dress codes. They might tell you what is not recommended.

The only places I have encountered mandatory dress code were in the U.S. and in B.C., Canada.

Judy Sep 27th, 2011 01:31 AM

As far as the luggage weight is concerned, my husband always wears a black blazer with his jeans on the plane. He frequently wears it to dinner in the evening but rarely with a dress shirt and tie.

Restaurants with dress codes should make that known when you make your reservation

P_Peppington Sep 27th, 2011 05:34 AM

I have never met anyone in the last 30 years who has been to the Moulon Rouge to have enjoyed it. It is a sad tourist trap. I would skip it if I were you.

As far as dress standards in Paris, there are none.

Pippy

RJD Sep 27th, 2011 06:16 AM

"As far as dress standards in Paris,there are none."

Be cautious about such broad brush statements. Paris as a world class city has some quite elegant places where jackets and even ties are de rigueur. Not been to the Jules Verne, but I'll bet if they let you in you might feel uncomfortable without a jacket. We dined at Tallivent in 2009. They definitively have a dress code and every male was in jacket and tie and the women were elegantly attired. This was also the case at Allard near the Palais Royal when we had lunch there on the same trip. And the place is just a slightly upscale bistro but it ts near the centers of power.

So it all depends on where you go and the feel of the place.

nytraveler Sep 27th, 2011 06:32 AM

Agree Mounlin Rouge is a complete waste of time.

If youwant info on dress codes go to the web sites of hte specific restaurants. They will either list a specific dress code oro show photos of patrons dressed properly. I would never go to an upsacle restaurant with a man not wearing a jacket. Suit and tie are not necessary - jacket can be work with a shirt or a light turtlneck. Ladies dress should also be appropriate - as in sophisticated casual with real shoes. (Some people red that the French may wear jeans to dinner at nicer places - which is sometimes true - but they are expensive and beautifully tailored and worn with a similar shirt/sweter/jacket and real shoes - not droopy levis with a casual shirt and giant white clown sneakers.

StCirq Sep 27th, 2011 07:32 AM

There seems to be an inverse relationship between wanting to visit the expensive, cliché sites of Paris and not wanting to dress for the occasion.

I do agree there is no fashion code in Paris and that a jacket and tie are rarely a requirement, but why would one aim for the places where tourists typically dump a boatload of money on a mediocre experience and then balk at looking put-together for the occasion?

RJD Sep 27th, 2011 08:16 AM

Fodor's Paris restaurant reviews frequently tells you the usual dress code for the place. It's a good thing to know especially if you go to a cliche place and wish to enjoy yourself.

ira Sep 27th, 2011 08:20 AM

Hey nic,

It is always useful to have a jacket, with a tie in the pocket, mainly because it is easier to take them off than to go find one.

At Jules Verne, I suggest a jacket.

You really want to go the MR, skip the overpriced dinner.

On the Seine cruise, a jacket will be useful for warmth.

Enjoy your visit.

((I))

ira Sep 27th, 2011 08:21 AM

PS,

You wear your jacket, with the tie in the pocket, onto and off the plane.

ira Sep 27th, 2011 08:30 AM

PS,

Whatever you wear, it must be black.

AtlTravelr Sep 27th, 2011 08:48 AM

We were invited to join wonderful friends at both Moulin Rouge and Jules Verne this past month. We had never been to either and yes, I was fully aware that Moulin Rouge is labeled as a "tourist trap". Having said that we had a great time at both places, though Moulin Rouge has to be one of the strangest things I've ever seen. Our friends were thrilled to treat us to both "events" and that is what they were - a real event.

Regarding the dress codes - we were told nice casual for Moulin Rouge, no jacket & tie policy. My husband wore a sports coat, no tie. Other men were dressed in everything from suits to nice shirt, sweater, pants - no jacket. Jules Verne was different. Our party of 8 - 4 women in black cocktail dresses and even heels for some of us (I wore flat black sandals that I could wear the rest of the trip). Men all wore jacket & tie or suit. We did see one family who entered after we did with young children in tow. They did not all have jackets on and I'm not 100% sure they were seated for dinner. My understanding is that jacket and tie were required. Even without the requirement, my husband said he would have felt out of place without nice clothes. It is definitely a "dress up" place.

We enjoyed both places, would consider doing Jules Verne again for the set dinner with wine tasting that we had and I'm glad I did Moulin Rouge once!

kerouac Sep 27th, 2011 09:20 AM

As a Parisian, I will not criticize people who want to go to the Moulin Rouge, the Lido or the Crazy Horse. These or similar establishments have existed for more than 100 years. I didn't read anything from anybody who loved "Midnight in Paris" hating the French "tourist trap" entertainment that Owen Wilson found so appealing in olden times. People sit around, drink, and have a good time watching cheesy acts. There is nothing to be ashamed of for liking it. Are the rest of you all at the opera or at a philosophical conference while these other people are daring to have fun?

Nikki Sep 27th, 2011 10:31 AM

"Are the rest of you all at the opera or at a philosophical conference while these other people are daring to have fun?"

Are those activities mutually exclusive?

denisea Sep 27th, 2011 12:25 PM

Our dress code is smart casual, however we do not oblige our guest to wear a tie or a jacket. Sportswear (such as t-shirts, shorts, trainers etc...) are not accepted.

The above statement is straight from the restaurant website! Crisis averted (this was very easy to find, BTW).

kerouac Sep 27th, 2011 12:52 PM

Nikki, not at all, but most of the disparaging comments seem to come from people who think that places like the Moulin Rouge are so lame that getting soused on wine at the local café is a superior activity. It is not necessarily true.

Christina Sep 28th, 2011 03:41 PM

Actually, I'd like to go to Moulin Rouge just to see what it is like. Why not, it's just a show, I go to lots of lousy movies that are a lot worse. The only issue is that it is expensive, or I would. I've read from people who enjoyed it -- I remember someone saying the costumes were really beautiful and they do a good show. I'd rather go there than rue Cler or up in the Eiffel Tower, to be honest. I'm always interested in music and costume, I actually studied costume design in college and had this dream of creating costumes for theater. Anyway, I'd like to see if it is really terrible or not. Couldn't be worse than lots of stuff I've been dragged to by friends or relatives in Las Vegas or on cruise ships.

IN any case, the issue is that Moulin Rouge does have a dress code because they are actually trying to make it a nice experience. So they don't want it to be just a bunch of slobby tourists dressed in cargo shorts and Tshirts and white sneakers. Why is that so terrible. They want the men to wear jackets. So I don't know why a sport coat can't do double duty as a jacket you might wear anywhere in the evening when it gets cooler. I don't think you have to wear Armani or anything super dressy, just look as if you gave an effort.

Will you get kicked out if you don't? Well, there are some restaurants where you will, actually, or they will make you wear a jacket they keep standing by as they want to maintain a certain ambience. I don't think Moulin Rouge would be in that camp, but I am guessing. I imagine they've seen it all and are just trying to make an effort to make it a nice occasion even though many tourists will probably resist it.

nytraveler Sep 28th, 2011 05:14 PM

The difference between a bad movie and a night wasted at the Moulin rouge - is that the movie costs $14 and is a night you might be watching TV instead. The Moulin rouge costs a fortune (esp if you order the awful dinner) and is a night in Paris which you could spend doing a doen other better things.

AtlTravelr Sep 28th, 2011 05:43 PM

Christina - my husband, who is not at all the "theatre person" that I am - actually commented on the costumes at Moulin Rouge and how spectacular they were. And no, he wasn't referring to the LACK of costumes that allowed the many naked breasts to be seen. The final number with huge pink feathered outfits that lit up like a Christmas tree was outrageous - so over the top that we did find ourselves "oohing and ahhing"! But the best acts were the ones in between the topless dancers - the ventriloquist that used audience members as his "dummies" was very funny. Again - it was all quite an event.