Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   dress for dining out (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/dress-for-dining-out-107558/)

john Feb 21st, 2001 09:44 PM

dress for dining out

Nothing like beating a dead horse. How would you characterize the dress for more expensive restaurants? Should a man wear a jacket and tie? Smart asses need not respond.

x Feb 22nd, 2001 03:26 AM

depends where.... <BR>

Tony Hughes Feb 22nd, 2001 03:31 AM

A smart shirt (no tie) should suffice with dress trousers unless it's somewhere that stipulates 'DJ must be worn'. Dress shoes, too.

sylvia Feb 22nd, 2001 03:46 AM

I'd say that you can't go wrong with a jacket and tie. Some expensive restaurants actually keep jackets and ties to lend to customers, but why be humiliated?

Gigi Feb 22nd, 2001 03:51 AM

Good Morning, John and Tony, <BR> <BR>Personally, I like the tie in better restaurants, but, Tony knows best. <BR> <BR>How many days before you leave for the US, Tony? It can't be many? We are looking forward to your kilt! <BR>Gigi

xxx Feb 22nd, 2001 03:52 AM

Au contraire, the smart asses are very much driven by a NEED to respond. <BR>

Tony Hughes Feb 22nd, 2001 04:01 AM

Just finished lunch over this way, Gigi. <BR> <BR>I'm not often at expensive restaurants but in my experience it's bad form to turn up at one in espadrils and a t-shirt with 'HARD ROCK CAFE - ORLANDO' on it. <BR> <BR>9 days, Gigi. Oh and if anyone is thinking about robbing my apartment whilst I'm away, do tidy up after yourself, it's in one heck of a mess. Sadly, Gigi, you will not see me in my kilt so I'll make sure i get a couple of pics on the digital camera, ok?

Mary Ann Feb 22nd, 2001 04:09 AM

It seems like in Europe if you dress more (ie including tie) it is never out of good taste. A tie takes so little room in a suitcase, ususally they have a flat zipper area, its an easy fix. Let's face it, if you should ever feel over dressed with it, just go to the rest room and remove it. <BR>Also most even 21 inch suitcases now have the garment bag that is perfect for a jacket. <BR>Besides, during a trip it is nice to get occasionally dressed up!

Rex Feb 22nd, 2001 04:28 AM

For me, a blazer (or any other similar jacket) provides the poorest "bang for the buck" (amount of time I wear it for the amount of space it takes up) of anything I put in my suitcase. <BR> <BR>And yet, I take one over half the time, and I am almost always glad I did. I can't ever remember taking one and NOT wearing it. I think this would apply almost as well to women as men. <BR> <BR>Perhaps it goes to indicate that the experiences you have IN a jacket - - though they may be short or infrequent - - have a high "memorable" value (nice restaurants, shows, etc). <BR> <BR>Or maybe it sets the tone for good experiences OUT OF the jacket... afterwards... (wink) <BR>

Gigi Feb 22nd, 2001 06:34 AM

Tony, only nine days! I don't know if we are ready for you! A digital camera and a post on the web. It'll have to do, I'm afraid...oh, well, there's always Paris! <BR> <BR>I

Bob Feb 22nd, 2001 09:00 AM

I do take a jacket and a pair of dockers. But I find that if a restaurant requires a tie than I can't aford it anyway. So it don't worry about a tie.

john Feb 22nd, 2001 01:43 PM

thanks for the info.