Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Dress Code- Fancy Hotels in Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/dress-code-fancy-hotels-in-paris-272807/)

Mary Susan Nov 12th, 2002 08:23 PM

Dress Code- Fancy Hotels in Paris

We are going to Paris over Thanksgiving for a week. My husband, who generally doesn't even think of such things, is concerned about what the &quot;dress code&quot; will be at the Four Seasons George V. We generally stay at somewhat less fancy hotels, and I figure in a place that gets everyone from Arab shieks to rock stars probably everything and anything decent is going to be fine, but any advice from folks who have been there would be appreciated. I rarely wear jeans here, but the weather will be cold and probably rainy, so am considering bringing them. Any specific do's or don'ts? What works best not to look like &quot;American Tourists&quot;, but folks on holiday.<BR><BR>Thanks all.

John Nov 13th, 2002 01:03 AM

Generally, the George V does not care what you wear. They do get a lot of celebrities and other important people, who dress in various different ways, from the very formal to the very casual. Of course, when an actor or rock star puts on a pair of jeans and a shirt, they may tend to be quite fashionable and expensive. I am not trying to say that you have cheap clothes or bad taste, but I think you will find that even the most casuallly attired people at the hotel will look very put together. Given the cost of a room, dress the way you feel most comfortable. The staff should not really care, as long as you aren't running around in a bathing suit or your undergarments.<BR><BR>Also, be aware that there is a dress code for the restaurant (jacket required for men). They will turn you away, no matter how famous, if not properly attired. I have been in the bar several times, but have always had on a jacket, so am not sure if there is a similar dress code.<BR><BR>Finally, be sure to take in the floral arrangements. Their weekly budget for such things is enormous and one of the most celebrate florists in Paris (an American, actually) takes care of them.

jill Nov 13th, 2002 06:04 AM

Jeans are not particularly any warmer than a pair of corduroys or wool pants/trousers. So if warmth is your concern, you can skip the jeans. I would be aware of being the tourist that doesn't dress well if I wore jeans.<BR>

y Nov 13th, 2002 06:09 AM

Y jeans - jeans suck! try something else, and leave the jeans at home for home. why is it people travel to see something new and then act like they're in WDW, standing in line. Are you really ready for Paris?

kate Nov 13th, 2002 06:18 AM

My fantasy trip to Paris would involve staying in the George V and getting to wear all kinds of lovely nice clothes like in the movies! Maybe you should watch some videos and see what they wear to nice hotels in Europe and then you can get an idea of what to bring.

janese Nov 13th, 2002 06:30 AM

My BIL and sister stayed at George V last spring - a surprise for him - and relate it was very, very plush, ultra fiendly, great staff and front desk. And if you don't dress up a bit, you won't be holding up your end of the equation. This is, afterall, one of Paris' best. Catch the spirit! Leave the jeans in the room.

janese Nov 13th, 2002 06:32 AM

meant friendly, :&gt;, they aren't fiends at all.

kate Nov 13th, 2002 06:47 AM

Lol, janese, while maybe not the George V, there are some hotel staffers that can be &quot;fiendly&quot;!!

Jim P Nov 13th, 2002 06:52 AM

We stayed there a few months ago. For him I would advise Business Black, does't have to be a suit but people dress more formally in this part of the 8th arr.. You will still see mostly black clothing in the window displays at fancy shops. If you don't want to &quot;stand out&quot;, black is the non-color to go with. Anyway, given the weather, that plus a dark raincoat should do perfectly.

Janese Nov 13th, 2002 07:08 AM

... which brings to mind one of the enduring grand issues of Fodors - whether to leave a daily gratuity for the room staff. I'm for it! I imagine Geo. Cinq does a lovely turn-down, probably mints all over, fresh flowers, fruit basket, newspapers, fizzy water, lowered lights, organ music, a complete mood altering turn-dwon. But only if you tip. Alternatively, they send in the fiend, who proceeds to ... well, lets just say a tip is preferable. Having tipped, the only fiendishness you're likely to experience is the bill upon check-out. Paris is the best!

carol Nov 13th, 2002 07:16 AM

Mary Susan,<BR><BR>I don't know where you live, but think about staying in a grand hotel in the big city near you and you'll have a pretty good idea of how to dress for the George V. If you can imagine what a &quot;formal&quot; informal outfit looks like, that would do the trick. As has been said before, black always works in Paris, and a black top with a camel bottom is pretty chic these days.

kate Nov 13th, 2002 07:19 AM

At least, Mary is getting a &quot;rich&quot; taste of Paris. <BR>My first taste was smaller and on the Ille St Louis. But wonderful none the less!

Christina Nov 13th, 2002 10:17 AM

Look what happened to Meg Ryan when she wore jeans and a ratty shirt to the George V in Paris -- she got her bags stolen (but ended up with Kevin Kline!)

Jenecomprendspas Nov 13th, 2002 03:14 PM

If you rarely wear jeans at home, why on earth would you wear them in the GeorgeV just because it is cold and rainy? I would be taking wool gabs or, better for travel, wool knit pants.

Nan Nov 13th, 2002 10:46 PM

I think of all the times to pick to wear jeans, when you are staying at Geo V should not be one of them. Get some nice wool pants and sweaters. If you have to wear jeans, at least wear good designer ones with appropriate tops and great shoes.

Good Grief! Dec 25th, 2002 05:17 PM

Mary Susan, <BR><BR>The people who post on this website seriously need to get over this &quot;never wear jeans anywhere but in America&quot; thing. <BR><BR>I was in Paris this past October and purposely didn't bring blue jeans because everyone here talked about what a huge faux pas it would be and how I would stand out and blah blah blah. Good lord, there were MANY people wearing jeans everywhere! I was kicking myself because yes, I do find them comfortable. It's the same with sneakers. I saw many many people wearing sneakers so please, if it makes you comfortable to wear jeans, then wear them! <BR><BR>No one would tell an Indian woman to leave her Sari at home when she travels so why are jeans such a big issue? I never pay attention to what people are wearing do you?<BR><BR>For the record, I am staying at the George V this holiday season and yes, everyone in my party plans to bring jeans with us. No, not to wear in the evening but to certainly wear during the day as we sight see. I hope and pray we don't offend anyone!

lucy Dec 25th, 2002 06:12 PM

Hey I'm with Charlie. I always dress for myself not to impress others.

fashinella Dec 25th, 2002 06:16 PM

Get a hold of yourselves! There are jeans and there are jeans. Any brand that fits well put together with a chic top is ok for lunch or touring but never for dinner unless you are famous and get away with so much (that you really shouldn't have.)

huh? Dec 25th, 2002 06:38 PM

'cuse me but where are you people going that you feel you need to be so dressed up? If you're out and about during the day where what's comfortable. If you're going to a 5 star restaurant for dinner then I'd wear a jacket and tie. It seems simple enough!

x Dec 25th, 2002 06:44 PM

I think a lot of people have this impression that everyone you see in Paris will be wearing Gucci and Versace, etc. You know, one giant catwalk. The simple fact is, it's not true. There are LOTS of people here who dress pretty basic and yes, some do wear jeans. It's not unheard of. <BR><BR>If you're going out for dinner I'd recommend not wearing jeans but I guess that doesn't need to be said, does it?