Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Dress code at Tour D'argent, Jules verne and Laperouse

Old Sep 19th, 2006, 08:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Were eating dinner at Tour D'argent and laperouse, and lunch and Jules verne. Help with dress code please for him, is it tie and jacket at all three?

Thanks. x
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 09:01 AM

You do not "need" a tie for lunch at Jules Verne. Or for lunch anywhere, including TDA. At both these places, some men wear ties and others do not. I think the overall ensemble is more important than the presence or absence of a tie...ie..good shoes, well-fitted stylish clothing in solid colors or subtle geometrics. That is just my own taste and what I observe. The same in all major cities.
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 09:02 AM

Suit and tie are not absolutely necessary. You may even get in without a jacket - but I wouldn;t risk it. But - if that's an issue - why go to these restaurants. There are thousands of places to eat in Paris where you can be s casual as you want.

Why select upscale, formal restaurants with fine dining - and then ask if you really HAVE TO dress properly?
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 10:12 AM
ira

Hi S,

Yes, DH has to wear a jacket to dinner a Laperouse or he will be completely out of place and you will probably be put in ne of the "private" rooms where no one can see you and you can't look out the window.

JV and TdA seem to be more willing to accept whoever has money, but they are mere upstarts.

Are you aware that TdA has been reduced to only 1*?

You can see my report on dinner at Laperouse at http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34676645

Enjoy your visit.

Old Sep 19th, 2006, 10:41 AM

I went to T d'A in April and wore a suit/tie. One of the guys we were with did not have a jacket (I was living in Paris, he was visiting), and they provided him with one in the most subtle, unobtrusive way (as we were talking to the host, a maitre d' came up behind him, slipped on the jacket, and disappeared.

So, T d'A requires a jacket but they will supply one with no fuss or scene.
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 11:04 AM

Tour d'Argent can hardly be called an "upstart." The place was founded in the 16th century and has been run the same family for three generations or more. The late M. Claude Terrail was quite a character; he died a few months ago.
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 11:36 AM
ira

Hi ek,

I stand corrected. Laperouse only goes back to the 18th cent.

Old Sep 19th, 2006, 12:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone.

Nytraveller - it was a question to understand the general dress code as I have never dined in any of the selected establishments - nor am I familiar with what goes and what doesn't in Paris. I think you can see from my selection that I enjoy fine dining and I dress 'properly' on a daily basis, so it will be a pleasure as opposed to a chore. The question was merely posed in order to determine how many suits my better half needs to fit into his luggage for a 3 day break. I was under the impression a forum was designed to allow people to discover uncertainties?

Ira - thanks for the link, I look forward to reading it.
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 01:28 PM

"Punished" in a private room at La Peyrouse? Is there a list? Can I apply?
Old Sep 19th, 2006, 03:08 PM

"...then ask if you really HAVE TO dress properly?"

Huh? I don't think the OP insinuated that they would not want to dress appropriately... just wanted to clarify the dress code. I didn't get a whiff of "I don't want to be appropriate."
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 05:30 AM
ira

Hi S,

>how many suits my better half needs to fit into his luggage for a 3 day break.<

None. A spertsjacket or blazer will be sufficient.

Take a tie, just in case.

Old Sep 20th, 2006, 05:39 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Dave, can I visit you in your cell? Bread and water is on you.
Old Sep 20th, 2006, 07:25 AM

Well the wine can be on me if we are banished to the private room!
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

We went, we saw, we conquered (and returned with a much, much lighter wallet!). It was FANTASTIC!

Just a little bit of info if anyone picks up this thread wanting information on dress codes, evrything above is pretty accurate although do wear a tie for TdA in the evenings - if not you will have to select one of theirs from a freestanding rack as you enter!
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 10:29 AM

Hope you will give details of what you ate...look forward to reading.
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 10:32 AM

Well -

if he's bringing suits anyway - and wear them here in upscale restauarants why even ask about some of the most upscale restaurants in Paris? He certainy won;t be turned away for having a suit or jacket.

(And by far the bulk of these questions are from peopel who don;t want to bother to pack a jacket at all.)
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

nytraveller... I have just written an update to my original question as I have now been on my trip. My update was aimed at helping any other fodorites with correct information should they be wondering the same thing as I.

Can I suggest that you read the full thread before posting repetitive (you posted pretty much the same reply on 19th Sept) and useless (your information was incorrect - I would only comment factually on my own experience, if you haven't been there, don't guess) information. Thanks.

ek, will post what we ate this week...
Old Oct 1st, 2006, 08:09 PM

It's always best in Europe to dress well at formal restaurants. Not fussy but well. That way you don't stand out. For men this would mean a jacket and tie, though not necessarily a suit, unless it is evening. For women, dresses or a suit, or a skirt and blouse or trousers that aren't loudly casual. Too casual and it just shouts out "American tourist," and they'll seat you away from the views, and each of these restaurants has great views.