Frankfurt to Paris travel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24th, 2010, 11:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just in the early stages of planning a trip for next January. We will be in Frankfurt and I'd like to get to Paris. It seems train is the way to go. Is it easy to go from Frankfurt or, as it seems from various sites I've looked at, is Stuttgart the better starting point? Looking to get to Paris as easily and (relatively) cheapily as possible. If you were doing this trip, which is the best way to do it? Is TGV the best option ( akthough dearer I presume)?
Thanks for any advice anyone can give.
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 11:38 PM

If you're already in Frankfurt then you should take the train from Frankfurt. I don't see the logic in taking the train from Frankfurt to Stuttgart and then to Paris.

Why do you believe Stuttgart is the "better" starting point? It would involve an additional train trip and waiting time in Stuttgart for the Paris train.

Frankfurt to Paris on the train looks very easy. Get on the train and 4 hours later you're in Paris.
Old Jun 24th, 2010, 11:50 PM

I have just booked a similar trip and the train is the best option. Check out www.bahn.com.
Old Jun 25th, 2010, 01:13 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. I was just needing a bit of guidance. The website link has helped.
Old Jun 25th, 2010, 04:05 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Frankfurt to Paris, direct on the ICE, sometimes with just one stop in Metz along the way.
Old Jun 25th, 2010, 05:39 AM

I did the trip in reverse. The train is the way to go.

One suggestion: Your details about your starting point are a little skimpy, but if you're traveling to Frankfurt to get the train, you might consider instead going to the station that's one stop south of Frankfurt. I think it's Mannheim. Small, very serviceable station that a lot less hectic than Frankfurt. Plus, you'll start your trip a little closer to Paris and the ticket will be a little cheaper.
Old Jun 25th, 2010, 06:06 AM

I'm going from Frankfurt airport to Paris in August, and then back to FF from Prague. I decided to use the train to Paris, stopping for an evening (just for fun - after that long flight, didn't want to go further) in Strasbourg. Bahn.de is definitely best site to use, and the train looks to be the best option. The hardest part looks to be getting from Paris Gare d'Est, where we come in, to our hotel near Tour Eiffel, but perhaps we'll just break down and take a taxi.
Old Jun 25th, 2010, 06:12 AM

Both German ICEs (Inter-Continental-Express) trains and French TGV (Trains a Grande Vitesse) run from Germany to Paris' Gare de l'Est - it does not matter which type train just look for the cheapest fare at www.bahn.de - the discounted fares however i believe cannot be changed nor refunded so be sure of your plans. In any case just showing up and buying a ticket could cost way way more than the limited in number (book early!) cheaper fares.
Old Jun 25th, 2010, 06:37 AM
tod

Ozziegal - I've done this pleasant 2+hrs trip and prebooked online for a cheaper trainfare. This year we have to do the journey from Munich as no seats available via Frankfurt and the journey is about 7hrs. This journey requires a change at Stuttgart from the ICE to the TGV into Paris.
I already have my tickets - posted to my home address in South Africa for just 3 euros.
Get your tickets and enjoy the train ride!
Old Jun 25th, 2010, 08:32 AM

The trip is a bit longer than "2+hrs" - the shortest available connection is 3:48 with no change of trains. If you book early, you could get a fare as low as 39-Euro.
Old Jun 27th, 2010, 12:01 PM

Definitely book your tickets 90-92 days out from your desired dates and you will get the best deal that tod refers to.

TGV is the best and when you pay you will automatically get a reserved seat. The German train stations are very well organized and will have a car/wagon lay-out schematic on the train platform so you can see exactly where the section your seat is in will stop on the platform...takes all the stress/uncertainty out of the mix. Love it!

I personally use the French site, voyages-sncf (look for the green "Prem's" prices), because it is easier for me to navigate, but most people swear by the bahn.de site to purchase their tickets from.