Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Dresden, how long to budget for the transport museum (Verkehrsmuseum)

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31st, 2010, 02:46 PM
2g
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will arrive by train at 11 am from Berlin and would like to see the Green Vault and transport museum, the train tickets are already booked and I can't change them as we bought discount tickets. I also booked tickets to the Green Vault for 2 pm, without knowing that there is about Verkehrsmuseum. My SO is a car freak and the transport museum is a must, my question, do we have enough time to visit the transport museum before the Green Vault? How far is the transport museum from the train station? Is the museum big and how long does an average visit take, we are only interested in the car and aircraft exhibits and nothing else. Or, am I better off rebooking tickets to the Green Vault later (don't really want to do this as the tickets have already been bought and paid for).

Thanks.
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 04:45 PM
J62

Never been there - to be honest it's never popped up on my must visit list in my 20 or so trips to Dresden over the years. Here's the website

http://www.verkehrsmuseum-dresden.de...page=1&lang=en

Looks like it's right in the old town, right around the corner from the Green Vault. Both are about a 1 mile/15-20min walk from the train station, or a short tram ride that will get you closer to your destination. (line 3 or 7 for 2-3 stops)

I'm willing to bet the folks at the Green Vault would exchange your tickets for a later time if you stopped in and explained.

Perhaps our resident Dresden expert Ingo will chime in about the museum.

If your SO is a car fan she may also like to visit the Glass VW factory in Dresden where the Phaeton is assembled.

http://www.glaesernemanufaktur.de/gm...ng=&docid=&ap=
Old Aug 31st, 2010, 09:03 PM

One hour for the Verkehrsmuseum. Haven't been there in a long time - it is not that big. It is located vis-a-vis the Frauenkirche.

Plenty of time to see the Green Vault afterward.

Buy a family day ticket for 7 Euro (I think) for the two of you. Validate upon entering the tram. Tram #3 or 7 would take you from the Central Railway station to Pirnaischer Platz, from there it is a 3 minutes walk.
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 06:46 AM

Don't mean to hijack this thread-but I'm wondering about the Glass VW factory, as this might be something that my DH would enjoy. Do they have a "factory tour", and if so when and how do we arrange it in advance, or better to wait and have the concierge make the booking? I have a feeling that 12 days of nutcrackers and ornaments at Christmas markets is going to drive him nuts, so need to find some things to do that he would really be interested in. We did the BMW tour in Munich a few years back and he still talks about it.
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 07:05 AM
J62

for VW, check out the link I posted above. There is a tour request form you can submit.

We can send him to the Saxon royal family's hunting lodge outside Dresden (Schloss Moritzburg) via narrow gauge steam RR if he wants to check out the trophies. (as in deer heads mounted on the wall)

Or to Meissen if he wants to buy some very expensive porcelain for his wife...

Or the pretty cool Asisi panometer in an old pre WW2 natural gas storage tank just outside town.

http://www.asisi.de/en/_start_/index.html

Lots of Maennerstuff in & around Dresden.
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 10:09 AM

Good suggestions, J62!

He could see the old Stasi jail. Quite enlightening, but also depressing.
http://www.bautzner-strasse-dresden.de/

Yeah, and he could go and visit the armoury, part of the State Art Collections. And, at least as interesting, the Turkish Chamber.
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 10:59 AM
J62

I guess there's also Klax, but I'm not sure that's what ms pocono had in mind for her DH...
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 12:57 PM
2g
Original Poster

Thank you. We knew about the VW factory before when planning the trip but deciede against it. My SO has a thing about certain car brands and VW is not a brand that interests him. We just learnt of the transport museum over the past weekend and were wondering how to fit it into our plans. Sounds like it is perfectly doable in the time we have before the Green Vault at 2pm. Thanks for the help.
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 06:14 PM

Thanks for all of the suggestions for my Dh. I think that I will just send him back to the hotel to take a nap when he gets tired of Christmas Markets and German architechure. I think he's really going for the beer, bratwurt and pretzels, anyway. I did a little searching on the VW factory and got a lot of mixed reviews.
Old Sep 1st, 2010, 09:02 PM

J62 - I am astonished you know about Klax ;-)
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 04:59 AM

Ok, now I have to ask--whats Klax? (or do I really want to know?!)
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 05:14 AM
J62

No, you really don't wan to know...

Ingo - if you ride the #4 tram out towards Coswig/Radebeul enough times it's hard to miss, especially if you regularly stop for the Tue night Maß specials at Watzke Brewery. Add in fresh some pretzels and a braised pigs knuckle and you have the best food in house.

This thread is degrading very quickly (my fault).
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 09:55 AM

J62 - I understand. And you must believe me I only know Klax from passing by on exactly the same tram (or #9 to Elbepark) ... ;-)

Nope, I think the thread got even more interesting. LOL And the Watzke beer is really good. Yum.

Poconlady, you certainly don't want to know. And you definitely don't want to send you hubby there. That's for sure!
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 11:24 AM
2g
Original Poster

J62, you're spicing this thread up. Just what it needs. I wish we had more time in Dresden. sigh.

To really really want to know what Klax is. My guess is the red light district, which is found in virutally all German cities. I could be wrong, but that's what I'll place my bets on.
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 11:38 AM
J62

How to put this so I don't get banned.

You're close 2g, but not quite. Maybe 1g (or is it no-g)would better describe it.

Let's just say it's a place where a gentleman (or lady too) can go to increase their appetite, but not have a full meal.

So in that sense, ms. pocono may be fine sending her husband there, as long as he's home for dinner & dessert.

Neither Ingo nor I are confirming that we've ever been there. It's just because of our acute observation skills (and a few strategically located posters) that we happen to know it's exact location near the Burger King & Watzke brewery.

That's all I'm sayin.
Old Sep 2nd, 2010, 11:58 AM
2g
Original Poster

Well, maybe then we don't need any extra time in Dresden. lol.

I've never ever heard of such a long discription, when two simple words would do...strip club. Ah, the secrets out now. And, we'll pass on a visit here.

The transport museum and the Green Vault will keep us ammused, in the rest of the time we have in the city we plan on just wondering around and admiring the achitecture.

Are there any hometown brews that we could sample in our short visit to Dresden. We always like to sample local beers when travelling.

One more question, are there any places where we can pick up sandwiches/snacks/etc near the transport museum and the Green Vault as we'll be pressed for time and would like a quick bite before we visit the Green Vault.
Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 05:46 AM

There are some places in the basement of the so called "Prisco Passage" right on the Neumarkt square next to the Transport museum where you can buy snacks/sandwiches. It's the block between the museum and the Frauenkirche. Entrance to the passage from all four sides. It would be silly not to have a look into the Frauenkirche anyway, so ...

For local beer: Feldschlösschen is one. Another is Radeberger (small town just a few miles outside Dresden) - they have a restaurant at Brühl's Terrace called "Radeberger Spezialausschank" where you can taste their so called "Zwickel", non-filtered beer. I like that a lot. Another option: Watzke's, their restaurant is across the river in the next to the Golden Horseman monument (not to miss, just after crossing the Augustus bridge). You won't have a chance to sample one of the remaining beers, sorry.

I.
Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 01:44 PM
2g
Original Poster

Thank you, Ingo.

And thank you all for for helping us plan our day in Dresden.
Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 03:24 PM
J62

Regarding beer, is the Banana Weizen (wheat beer w/ banana nectar) still popular Ingo?

I don't recall banana being listed in the Reinheitsgebot.
Old Sep 3rd, 2010, 11:40 PM

You're welcome, 2g. Have fun!

J62 - I am shocked. Banana wheat beer? I have never heard of that one. Nope, banana is NOT listed in the Reinheitsgebot. I guess I have to pay them a visit ... and see myself.