Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Dresden Hotel Choices (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/dresden-hotel-choices-668890/)

BTilke Jan 10th, 2007 03:46 AM

Dresden Hotel Choices

A friend and I are planning to visit Dresden for 5 days in mid-March. Checking on the hotels available (two singles) for our dates, we've narrowed it down to:
Hilton (99€)
Four Points Konigshof (70€)
Mercure Albertbrucke ((55€)
Artushof (52€)

Knowing my friend, I suspect we'll be out the door early and will stay out til fairly late. We probably won't be dining at the hotel. So...it makes me wonder if spending the extra euros for the Hilton is worth it in this case (normally I would say yes but this friend is Mr. GoGoGo). The Mercure and Artushof aren't really that appealing, so I'm leaning towards the Four Points as a compromise choice. I know the Hilton has a great location and the construction work is finished, so maybe we should spring for that one. (breakfast not included at any of those hotels, but we just need coffee and a pastry to get started, which we can get easily elsewhere).

Also, we'll be taking the train from Vienna to Dresden (an early morning EC). Is this a scenic ride?

Thanks!

J62 Jan 10th, 2007 03:58 AM

You can't beat the location of the Hilton. The 4 Points is somewhat out of the action. I'd spring for the Hilton myself. 99€ is a good rate. You can trek back and forth, and likely get a tram, but the hassle will get old after the 1st day.

Great sushi restaurant in the Hilton bldg, by the way.

kopp Jan 10th, 2007 05:01 AM

Hello BTilke,

I'd totally agree with J62 about the Hilton's location. It's terrific!

We had 2 rooms there for a week last summer. It's literally a stone's throw from the Frauenkirche. So convenient to everything.

The rooms were very nicely appointed, comfortable beds, modern bathrooms. There were even fresh apricots and strawberries, yummy chocolates, and sparkling water awaiting us each afternoon on a table in our room.

Do not be put off by the size of the hotel. It's definitely large, has several very nice restaurants attached, shops, business center, etc. But this does not detract at all from its spectacular position within the city.

If you haven't already, you might try contacting the hotel directly. We were able to get breakfast everyday and one dinner included, and let me tell you, it's a breakfast you'll never forget!

Dresden is now on our list of favorite cities. The Zwinger museums are outstanding, as is the Green Vault (and I'm so jealous that you'll be able to see the entire collection now on display - TIP: reservations required so make them now!)

Hope this helps.
Happy travels!

BTilke Jan 10th, 2007 06:49 AM

Thanks, I will see if our budgets run to the Hilton. I agree it's got the best location.
The first day we're going to do the Green Vault and some other sights. We also have day trips planned to Meissen, Gorlitz, and Herrnhut.

Christina Jan 10th, 2007 07:09 AM

I can highly recommend the Dorint Novotel as an alternative which I would prefer to the Hilton. I stayed there last summer and it is a very nice hotel, and there is a tram stop right in front of it that goes directly to the main market area (or you can transfer in one stop and go to the train station easily). However, it's a very quiet area near the Hygiene Museum and park, and I liked the location better than the Hilton myself. It's also a lot cheaper. You could actually walk to the area where the Hilton is and that main church if you wanted, it's not that far, but the tram is very convenient.

I considered the Artushof, but thought the Dorint was in a more convenient location for me, and it was.

The quality of rooms and furnishings is really nice, and they even have a very good restaurant and bar if you do want that (I did eat in the restaurant one night due to the weather and it was good).

I just checked, and in mid-March, their singles are only 74-84 euro if you use the Accor website for one of the promotional rates. I did that and it worked out very well.

BTilke Jan 10th, 2007 07:14 AM

Thanks, Christina, I'll look into it. We stay in Sofitels quite a bit, and have also stayed in the other links in the Accor chain, so I'm used to their properties.

Marija Jan 10th, 2007 07:38 AM

The Hygiene Museum area is a lengthy walk from the center. The Hilton is much more conveniently located. We got a good rate at the Raddison which we liked a lot.

Michael Jan 10th, 2007 08:25 AM

We stayed at the Ibis Lilienstein (67 euros w/o breakfast for a very clean and functional room, that was a couple of years ago) on the Prager Straße, which is the pedestrian mall that goes from the train station to the city center. It is within easy walking distance of all the main sights.

Christina Jan 10th, 2007 08:50 AM

This is just a matter of opinion, not fact, as I have been there and I don't agree that the Hilton is a better location. I just don't like it right around the Hilton that much, frankly, in terms of ambience. Also, it is not that far from the Dorint to the center, depending what one means by that. It is just slightly less than 1 km from it to the Frauenkirche, for example (and that is exact according to mappy.com). I suppose that depends if you don't want to walk more than a few blocks or so. It's only a couple blocks from the main street that leads to the Hauptbahf train station, also (St Petersburger Strasse). But as I said, there is a tram stop there anyway literally across from the front door if you don't wnat to walk somewhere. It isn't right next to the Hygiene Museum, just generally over that way.

If Btilke has been there, she can decide for herself, of course, but if not, I just think that is misleading advice as to how bad the location of the Dorint is. It's at Grunaer Strasse 14, and my friends in Dresden thought the location was very convenient and good.

Ingo Jan 16th, 2007 12:37 PM

Definitely the Hilton, if it is in your budget.

Are you sure about Herrnhut? I was a bit disappointed.

The train ride is scenic only for about an hour or slightly more around the Czech/German border IMO.

BTilke Jan 16th, 2007 02:19 PM

Hi Ingo, the Hilton would be my first choice, we'll see what the budget looks like in a couple of weeks before deciding.
I'm going to Herrnhut to see the worldwide headquarters for the Moravian church. My friend who is traveling with me from Vienna may or may not come along for that day trip, he's not Moravian, so it probably wouldn't interest him. Thanks!

treplow Jan 16th, 2007 06:33 PM

Also check outthe Hotel Terassenufer, part of the Steigenberger chain of hotels. It is right on the Elbe and less than 10 minutes walk to the old part of town. Additionally, it is almost right across from a major tram stop, so very convenient to go to other places.

We stayed there, appreciated the free parking and the excellent breakfast.

DAX Feb 9th, 2007 05:04 AM

BTilke: I took a tour of this very nice newish apartment with a huge living room & dining room, kitchen,big laundry room, bathroom and bedroom for 70 euro a night. It's just across the Munzgasse food lane from the Hilton, so it practically has the same location as the Hilton. You can even see the Elbe river over the raised Terrasse. The team members who run the complex were super nice and accomodating as well, I was really impressed.
www.dresdentourismus.de/ferienwohnung_eng.htm. Hope that fits your budget without compromising the location.

Hi INGO: I'm glad to read your postings again! No other Fodorites know Dresden better than you do since you grew up & live in Dresden.