Dresden: Hotel Bülow Palais

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9th, 2010, 04:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to be in Dresden for a long weekend at the end of September and am considering trying the new Hotel Bülow Palais (not to be confused with their older property, the Residenz.)

Since it is so new, I haven't seen any reviews or photos. Any feedback would be appreciated.

I am also considering the Taschenberg and the Radisson Blu Gewandhaus Hotel.

Thanks!
Old Jun 9th, 2010, 06:29 AM

I stayed at the Tashenbergpalais in May and it was wonderful.
I think the best hotel I have ever stayed in. Very central to all the sights.
Sorry I cannot help with the Hotel Bulow Palais.
Old Jun 9th, 2010, 11:47 AM

Taschenberg
- Extremely great location! Wonderful rooms! Great dinner options and very cosy al fresco atrium restaurant
- NOISE if you have got a room opposite Zwinger as the tram has two stops to either side. It makes huge noise gaining speed after stopping. So that's a mnius for that part of the venue.
- The breakfast was extremely disappointing. Not the selection of hot/cold food but the bread. We bought our fresh crispy breakfast rolls at a bakery in the neighborhood and took them with us to the restaurant in order to not spoil breakfast. But I must say we are extremely particular when it comes to bread!

- Gewandhaus
A bit back from the main attractions but only 5 mins on foot from hotel to the Frauenkirche/Brühl'sche Terrasse. Many rooms have got a whirlpool in the bathroom but no shower. So if you are a bit more im-mobile you should ask for a shower roon in advance.
The room ´s there are also very nice nut room sizes differ.

We stayed at both hotels and would choose the Taschenberg again in a heartbeat - but would be more particular regarding the room/location and know about the breakfast rolls in advance;-)

I have no info on the new Bülow.

Not that you have asked: I would under no circumstances stay at the Hilton. The location is very good but that's all good. The "restaurant" itself is close to any Mc Donalds place atmosphere.

SV
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 01:14 AM

I am not particularly fond of the new Bülow Palais. It is built in fake Baroque style. I cannot comment on the rooms as I don't know anyone who has stayed there. However, the reviews of the restaurants inside pointed out that the interior/ambience are awful.

My recommendations would be Taschenbergpalais, then Radisson Gewandhaus.

Agree with SV that the Taschenbergpalais rooms with Zwinger view are noisy. I have no idea why these rooms are even more expensive than the rooms w/o view.
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Ingo! That was so helpful. It will cost about €300 more to stay at the Taschenbergpalais but it sounds like it will be worth it!
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 05:07 AM

300 Euro more for a long weekend? That sounds a bit much IMO. But then, end of September is very busy season.

A quick search on www.dertour.de came up with rates for 3 nights end of September at the Taschenbergpalais from 613 Euro (Superior double) to 950 Euro (Junior Suite) incl. breakfast.

I.
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 07:58 AM
Original Poster

Ingo, The Taschenbergpalais offered a corporate rate of €259,00 for a deluxe room inc. breakfast. The Bülow Palais offered a very competitive €154,00 per night for a Jr Suite including breakfast and Internet. The Radisson cam in just between at €179,00 for a Jr. Suite with breakfast and Internet. Is it really worth the difference?
Old Jun 10th, 2010, 08:06 AM

In this case I'd go for the Radisson Gewandhaus. Definitely an excellent rate for a Junior Suite incl. breakfast and internet.

No, I don't think the Taschenbergpalais is worth *this* difference.
Old Jun 11th, 2010, 07:17 AM

flyer ;-)
Old Jun 11th, 2010, 01:08 PM

Perhaps Ingo can give the latest news, but when I was in Dresden not long ago, one of the bars or cafe in the Taschenberpalais Kempinski was undergoing major renovation - which usually means a lot of noise and clutter. Overall, the hotel didn't appeal to me.

I went into the Gewandhaus and looked around. I think it might have been overhyped, because I wasn't as impressed as I thought I'd be. And again, there was some renovation work going on in the lobby/salon area which detracted from the appearance.

Were I to go back to Dresden, I'd stay in the QF Hotel or the Steigenberger (I liked it very much) or the Suitess - but definitely not the Hilton. I am curious to see what the new Swissotel will look like when it's finished. The NH Hotel wasn't ready yet when I was there, I'm sure it will be decent, although I am surprised they could build it SO close to the Kreuz church.
Old Jun 12th, 2010, 02:43 AM

The renovation works are finished in both hotels. I am a bit surprised that neither Taschenbergpalais nor Gewandhaus hotel appealed to you.

I never liked the QF. I still have to hear raves about it. People didn't like the layout of the rooms, complained about the service and the breakfast and I personally found it to be somewhat sterile.

Agree on the Steigenberger - a very good choice. No idea about the Suitess; just heard that there is trouble with the owners (they sold the block but want to continue to run the hotel what the new owner wants to stop) so I'd be reluctant to stay there.

The Innside Premium hotel right next to the Suitess looks very good. Some construction is going on next to it at the moment, though, so I'd wait a little longer to check it out. They do have an amazing bar on the rooftop, though - greatest views of the Frauenkirche!

Yep, the NH isn't completed yet. Will open in fall, I guess. The location so close to the Kreuzkirche picks up the old pre-war situation. That sort of 'nose' that now cuts off the church from the square is a new idea, though, and most people don't like that at all.

I.
Old Jun 12th, 2010, 08:08 AM

Ingo: I am a bit surprised that neither Taschenbergpalais nor Gewandhaus hotel appealed to you.

I stayed in the Steigenberger and nothing at either hotel made me wish I had stayed with them instead. I had considered the Hilton and was so glad I didn't stay there. Went in and had a wander around - dreadful, for tour groups or business meetings only, IMO.

I have heard bad things about the QF service too, but with the right management it could be an excellent property. Didn't know there were problems with the Suitess.

The Innside Premium was the hotel whose name I couldn't remember - thanks! I had drinks on their ground floor, I will keep the rooftop bar tip in mind.

I can see why people are unhappy with the new NH. The chain should have been more "respectful" of the immediate vicinity, but if they got the necessary planning oks, not much to say.

To the OP, while you are wandering the area, check out the transportation museum. Lots of fun. Try the jet and ship simulators - IF you can pry the 12 year old boys (or grown men acting like 12 yo boys) away from them. Or try to sit in the front of the one antique tram that shows an old black and white movie going through the city.
Old Jun 13th, 2010, 01:01 AM

Totally agree on the Hilton. Awful.

Hm, haven't been to the Transportation museum in years. Time to go back!
Old Jul 1st, 2010, 07:33 PM
Original Poster

Ingo, You are right. The rates on www.dertour.de for the Taschenbergpalais are quite good. It confused me, though, that they have two listings for the hotel. I'd be happy to book with them but it is a little difficult for me as I don't read German. Too easy to hit the wrong button and make a mistake!