Dresden Hilton steakhouse?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2009, 08:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My traveling partner and I will be in Dresden for several nights next month (staying at the Radisson). We both love a good steak on occasion. As I live in Europe, where good steak restaurants are thin on the ground (and we can't grill on our Basel apartment terrace) and my TP doesn't own a grill, we're thinking of trying out the Hilton's steakhouse one night.
We plan to eat most of the time at small, local restaurants (based in part on the excellent recs found here). But we'd both enjoy tucking into a good steak one night.
Is the Hilton steakhouse decent? If so, is it ridiculously expensive by Dresden restaurant standards? Is there another good steakhouse in Dresden?
Thanks!
Old May 3rd, 2009, 10:03 AM

I have no idea regarding the Hilton steakhouse (the Dresden Hilton is a nightmare! No ambiance at all!) but I know for sure you get great meat dishes in and around the Muenzgasse (leading from the Hilton to the Bruehl'sche Terrasse).

Your choice is wonderful! You will love the Gewandthaus Hotel! Very cosy atmosphere even at breakfast!
Maybe next time you can check out the Werstin as well on the other side of the Elbe. They have a great restaurant! The best place by far is the Taschenberg Palais straight opposite the Semper Opera.

BTW: Is that steak thing that important? If not: You have limitless choices in Dresden!

Enjoy!

SV
Old May 3rd, 2009, 10:20 AM

I haven't eaten in that Hilton Steakhouse, sorry. I cannot imagine it is ridiculously expensive, though.

I personally grill my steaks at home or in the tennis club. So, only limited experience with steakhouses ... However, I know that the Palais Bistro in the Kempinski Taschenbergpalais usually has rumpsteak on the menu, probably also other sorts of steaks - and I thought this rumpsteak was delicious! Not too expensive either IMO.

What about a steakhouse chain like Maredo? There is one Maredo in Dresden's city centre, corner Wallstrasse/Dr.-Külz-Ring. Had a steak there some years ago and it was pretty good.

Btw, I disagree on the Münzgasse restaurants. Quite touristy and overpriced, quality la-la. Right behind the Radisson Gewandhaus hotel is an area with plenty of restaurants offering food from all over the world. Locals rather go there.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

Hmmm, thanks. Althoug rumpsteak isn't our thing. We're looking for a nice filet; apparently the Hilton serves Argentine beef.

We plan to enjoy more local cuisine our other nights, but with no opportunities to grill at home for either of us, we're hoping to indulge in a grilled steak if it's good.

So the steak is kind of important if we can get it. We'll have plenty of opportunities for "atmospheric" dining in Dresden on other nights and, of course, at (my) home in Switzerland.

FYI, will it be local spargel season in June?
Old May 3rd, 2009, 01:13 PM

Asparagus ends on 24 of June - SHARP! Traditionally.

Ingo - regarding Muenzgasse you might be right despite we love all these small foodies incl. Tapas etc. ;-)

I hijack now: Do you know of "special occasion" (movie festival, orchestra?) around 11 July in Dresden?

SV
Old May 3rd, 2009, 01:33 PM

>apparently the Hilton serves Argentine beef
So does Maredo.
Old May 4th, 2009, 02:27 AM

Spassvogel is spot on re: Asparagus.

Now, Mr. Hijacker ;-) - what comes to my mind immediately is: 1) open-air movies and concerts by the river www.filmnaechte-am-elbufer.de
2) The second weekend/Saturday in July is the night of the open museums.
3) Starting early July is a chamber music festival "Musik an den Höfen des Meißnischen Landadels" with excellent musicians from all over the world playing at private mansions around Dresden which are usually not open to the public.

There's a lot more, I am sure, but I don't remember at the moment.

I.
Old May 6th, 2009, 12:27 PM

Thank you Ingo!
I remember when staying at the Gewandthaus Hotel there was a open museum's night - could watch people qeueing into a buildung my room and wondered what was going on - concierge had not "warned" us

This time I'll check that out!

SV