Dresden Christmas Market Update?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9th, 2009, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm heading back to Berlin in a week. I was wondering if Dresden's Christmas Market is back to normal, or is there still a lot of construction? I might alter my itinerary if reports are favorable. Thanks.

*I'm not sure if I spelled itinerary right and I don't want to waste my time looking it up.
Old Dec 9th, 2009, 12:16 PM

Construction works in Altmarkt are finished and Dresden's main Christmas market has, according to what I heard, been redesigned and is more beautiful than ever - I'll find out in person 10 days from now.

Let's wait for Ingo to give a first-hand report.
Old Dec 9th, 2009, 01:31 PM

As quokka said, the main Christmas market on the Altmarkt square (Striezelmarkt) has been redesigned - absolutely fantastic. Both locals and tourists rave about it. There is still construction going on in the city (old town also) but it doesn't affect the Christmas markets. Definitely check out the booth of the gourmet restaurant Bean & Beluga which sells yummy white Glühwein, Bratwurst and delicious cookies (Gewürzsterne recommended). Another *must* is the Stollen bakery of the baker's guild, elevated position in a wooden 'house' on the northeastern corner next to the tram stop and (ugh) McDonald's. There you can taste the Stollen and buy in small pieces (slices). And the cookies that they sell there are the best!

My favourite, though, is the (new this year) Christmas market next to the Frauenkirche on Neumarkt square. It's in the style of around 1900. Perfect. Try the 'Printen' (gingerbread) with Kandis sugar pieces from local Konditorei Gradel (their other stuff is also delicious).

The market in the Münzgasse by the Hilton is a tourist trap - highest prices, btw.

The medieval Christmas market in the Stallhof courtyard (former stables of the Royal Palace) is ok, but the idea of medieval markets is getting old. <yawn>

Quite good is also the market along the pedestrian zone Hauptstrasse in the Neustadt - lower prices than in the old town and nice setting.

Another favourite of mine is the small (30 booths) Christmas Market at Körnerplatz in Loschwitz. It has a neighbourhood feeling, very romantic, focus on artsy stuff (lots of craftsmen/artists live in the area) and good food.

Avoid the markets from Hauptbahnhof along Prager Strasse - no ambience and tourist traps.
Old Dec 9th, 2009, 01:33 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Ingo - it sounds lovely.

perhaps next year???
Old Dec 9th, 2009, 01:40 PM
yk

<i>Ingo - it sounds lovely.</i>

Ditto what ann said! Now I'm hungry. Bird, would you take some photos so you can make all of us here really jealous?
Old Dec 10th, 2009, 07:52 AM

Why wait for next year? ;-) I had to take a break from the Christmas markets in Dresden for a few days, too much rich food I thought. Bad thing is I'll hit the Christmas markets in the Erzgebirge in the next days. And I have heard the food is even richer there, LOL.
Old Dec 10th, 2009, 08:30 AM

Awww Ingo, I really really have to pity you ;-)

Check out where they have the best Glühwein in Annaberg...
Old Dec 10th, 2009, 09:17 AM
yk

Life's really tough, isn't it Ingo?
Old Dec 10th, 2009, 09:32 AM

Yeah, life is tough ;-)

yk, can you imagine the weather has not improved at all since your visit? It was raining cats and dogs from noon on today. Now it's drizzling. Yuck.

Heyyy quokka ... will make sure to find the best spot for Glühwein there <winkygrin>.
Old Dec 10th, 2009, 02:08 PM
Original Poster

I was hoping you would show up Ingo. Hope all is well and you are enjoying the season. Please eat some stollen and drink some of that good unfiltered beer for me.

It looks like Dresden is out and Krakow is in. It would have been nice to bump into you. Maybe next year. I'm assuming the Albertinum will be open by then.

YK - I am terrible with photos. All of the photos I took of my last trip to Dresden were erased. I left my travel journal and a couple of my books in my hotel room in Dresden on my last visit. I hope that who ever found my journal couldn't read English and trashed it.
Old Dec 10th, 2009, 02:36 PM

Oh Ingo - I am so jealous! Please give us a short report when you return. CJ
Old Dec 10th, 2009, 02:46 PM

I'm going weekend after next for 5 days, hehe...
Old Dec 10th, 2009, 06:43 PM

i bought my first 2009 stollen this week...i have eaten 1/2 of it...i would much prefer one from dresden and share it with you ingo...

also a visit to the mountain christmas markets is unbelievable---way better than any city market...
Old Dec 11th, 2009, 07:07 AM

We were there last week, our first time in Dresden.

It felt like the whole city was under construction.
Old Dec 13th, 2009, 08:17 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
the best stollen sold hereabouts is at lidl. last year i missed out as i shopped for it too late so this year i got one early.

unfortunately, I was tempted to nibble a bit and somehow there's none left.

so NEXT year I'll have to buy two!
Old Dec 15th, 2009, 09:38 PM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Ingo ... be sure to report about your trip to the Erzgebirge. Ginny and I aren't planning yet, but hope to get back there in late 2010 or sometime in 2011 (including as a part of the trip Olbernhau and Borstendorf - an ancestral visit) as well as other areas of Germany. Christmas may be a good time??? Alternatively, Sept. or May.