Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Dresden (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/dresden-334587/)

Klam Jul 7th, 2003 12:43 PM

Dresden

We would like recommendations from someone who has stayed in Dresden since the flood last year. We are considering the Westin Bellevue, Hilton Dresden, Hotel Bayerischer Hof, or any other in a convenient location, close to public transportation, and under USD 200. Are there any pedestrian streets in the city? Thanks for your help.

capo Jul 7th, 2003 03:06 PM

Hi Klam. Here are two recent articles that may be of some assistance. In the "Visiting Dresden" article, the Westin Bellevue is mentioned. She [travel writer Carol Pucci] says, "More upscale and a good value for the money is the 339-room Westin Bellevue, Grosse Meissner Strasse 15. Quiet riverside location and the best views of any of the big hotels. Doubles start at $145."

"Dresden redux: East German city reinventing itself again"
http://archives.seattletimes.nwsourc...ortex/display?
slug=dresden22&date=20030622&query=DRESDEN

"Visiting Dresden"

http://archives.seattletimes.nwsourc...ortex/display?
slug=dresdenifgo22&date=20030622

Klam Jul 7th, 2003 04:51 PM

Thanks CAPO for the website suggestions. I'll check them out. Do you happen to know why it is low season in Dresden in August?

Ingo Jul 8th, 2003 12:00 PM

Being a Dresden resident I have never stayed in hotels here :-) but I hope to be of any help, though.

August is low season, b/c
a) no business people in the city and
b) August is preferred beach season, not city season
No problem, though, life goes on as usual in Dresden.

Well, some comments on the hotels:
Bayerischer Hof is located right across the railway station Dresden-Neustadt - very close to public transportation, but very noisy (traffic).

Westin Bellevue is indeed located very well - but I highly recommend to book a room to the river and garden (with view) and not to the very noisy major road in front of the hotel. These quiet rooms will be more expensive, though. BTW, the hotel was originally mostly frequented by business/conference people, but they try to focus more on individual travellers now.

The Hilton is right in the city centre beside the Frauenkirche. Not really close to public transportation (5 minutes walk), but in the middle of all the tourist attractions. Make sure not to get a room toward the uninspiring and sometimes noisy construction site in front of the hotel or the relatively noisy Münzgasse street (open air bars and restaurants).

My first recommendation would be Hotel Martha Hospiz. Five minutes walk from the railway station Dresden-Neustadt. Charming three-star hotel with good service, quiet and central location.

Welcome to Dresden,

Ingo

Ingo Jul 8th, 2003 12:02 PM

Sorry, Bayerischer Hof is of course located vis-a-vis (not across) the railway station Dresden-Neustadt.

Klam Jul 15th, 2003 06:43 PM

Just found your suggestion Ingo having been out of town for a few days. Thanks for taking the time. The Hotel Martha Hospiz was full at our desired times, so we settled on the Westin Bellevue.

Ella Nov 12th, 2004 04:20 AM

Is the Westin a good location for visiting the Christmas market in Dresden? The Westin Bellevue has a good internet rate. The Hilton is sold out the date I need. Or would I be better just visiting the market and staying near the airport since I have an early morning flight the next day.

Marija Nov 12th, 2004 04:25 AM

We stayed at the newly renovated Radisson in Dresden. It's well located and we got an excellent rate on the hotel website. I highly recommend it.

Ingo Nov 12th, 2004 07:05 AM

The Westin has very different types of rooms; some are quite noisy due to the busy main road in front of the hotel. The rooms to the garden and river are excellent, but more expensive. I don't think you can get them for the cheap internet rate.

I second the recommendation of the Radisson SAS Gewandhaus hotel. Only a few steps from the main Christmas Market and from the tram stop. No. 3, 7 run to the Central Railway station, where you can catch the suburban railway to the airport. No need to stay in vicinity of the airport.

BTW, don't miss the historical Christmas Market in the "Stallhof", between the Royal Palace and the Church of Our Lady.

PalQ Nov 12th, 2004 07:34 AM

As for pedestrian streets, the whole commercial area is pedestrianized as is much of the town center, though when i was there in Sept many things were torn up and streets in the shopping area being re-done. The main train station is totally gutted; the train i took from Berlin terminated at the Neustadt station across the river because of the construction and i had to take a another train to the Hauptbahnhof. But the so-called Florence on the Elbe is beginning to shine once again and is one of the most interesting cities in Europe!

Ella Nov 12th, 2004 10:37 AM

Thanks,
I think I'll go with the Radisson. They have a decent rate on their website. I want something within an easy walking distance of the Christmas market.