Reload this Page >

Dreaming Of Moving To Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 1999, 07:14 AM
Diane

I just read Becky's post about moving to France and thought that I might be able to get some feedback on moving to Italy. I am a little older and do feel that it might be impossible. I have thought about moving to Italy for several years but have no idea on how to begin a plan like this. I would hate to have to wait until retirement. I feel such a connection to Italy when I am there. I truly feel like I belong there. The Italian passion for life and warmth truly make me feel so at home. I'll never stop thinking about living there. Any ideas on how to make this dream a reality? <BR> <BR>Diane

Old Sep 20th, 1999, 08:17 AM
Barbara

<BR>Diane, <BR> <BR>I could have written your posting, as I have felt that same connection since I first put foot on Italian soil. (Actually, it wasn't soil, it was a sidewalk in Venice). My husband, who is the Italian, by the way, thinks I'm crazy, but I am always visualizing for the future and truly believe I can find a way to make it happen (at least for part of the year). There is a very interesting book that will add fuel to your fire. It is called "Living, Studying, and Working in Italy", by Travis Neighbor and Monica Larner. Publisher is Owl Books. I found it last year at Borders. It covers EVERYTHING and is very readable. Hope you can find a copy. Let me know if you make progress toward your dream. Feel free to e-mail to me anytime.

Old Sep 20th, 1999, 09:54 AM
Me Too

I could have written that post also! My wife and I dream of moving to Italy also. I have a friend there who thinks I'm nuts, too! I know that finding a job is the hardest thing to do--Italian citizens are having a hard enough time finding work in their own country. So, we were at least planning on living their upon retirement. But I will look for that book that Barbara suggested! <BR> <BR>See you both there!

Old Sep 20th, 1999, 10:12 AM
santachiara

Don't hate me, but I moved to Italy in April to work for an American university that has a center based here. I was hired because of experience and a unique set of skills. It all depends on what you do for a living. But the best chance of working in Italy is to work for an American company, university or non-profit organization with offices in Italy. <BR> <BR>Also remember that a job is a job anywhere you go. I left the best job in my life to come here, and I do have some regrets. I know it sounds tremendously glamorous and fun, and at times it is. At others, it is frustrating, nerve-wracking and terrifying. But is also exhilarating, liberating and fascinating. I have grown more in five months than I have in five years. And I am in my early 50s. If you really want to do it, you will find a way. I know many others who have taken tremendous financial and personal risks to be here. If you are willing to do that, you can, too. <BR> <BR>P.S. And I do recommend the book Living, Working . . . . It is factual, realistic and thorough. And also: learn Italian. Immediately. Good luck to all.

Old Sep 20th, 1999, 02:01 PM
Dona

I share your dreams... Perhaps we should all e-mail each other or set up a "chat" to discover and plan how to make this dream come true!! <BR> <BR>La roba dei sogni - the "stuff" of dreams...

Old Sep 20th, 1999, 06:59 PM
Barbara

<BR>Glad I logged back on to this posting. Nice to hear from santachiara, who was brave enough to take this risk and succeed (we'll only hate you a little), and who let us know from experience that the book is valid. Continued happiness and growth to her. An aside to Dona -- this is the second posting we've shared today. Just wanted to tell you, I've noticed your postings before, and, in my experience, your advice has always been valid. I think there is a certain segment of us who should form an "I'm Obsessed with Italy" club (some might say a help group). Diane, you have brought all our dreams to the surface.

Old Sep 21st, 1999, 05:09 AM
Diane

Ciao tutti. To all who have commented on this post - mille grazie. I'll be the first one to join the "I'm Obsessed With Italy Club". That statement definitely puts things into perspective. Also, to santacharia and all other who might have suggestions -- I've been studying Italian for about a year and a half on my own and also with a small group but definitely need some more structure. I would love to take a college course but time does not allow me to do so. I have tapes and books but thought maybe someone else could shed some light. Also, found the book Living, Studying ... at Barnes & Noble - grazie. Buona Giornata. <BR> <BR>Diane

Old Sep 21st, 1999, 03:49 PM
hamlet

Count me in, too. (Although I'm happy to say the chances of this happening for me are actually kind of good since I'm with someone from Italy who has a house there located between Sorrento and Positano......) Those wishing to transplant themselves may also want to check out expatforum.com and www.mondoweb.it/informer - although this one hasn't been updated in a long time there is still some useful information there. Ci vediamo in Italia.

Old Sep 22nd, 1999, 07:52 AM
Becky

I don't know if I want to pull up roots and move permanently but 3-4 months per year would be fabulous. I spent a summer semester living in Florence and studying. It was one of the greatest experiences of my life. I was 41 at the time. There are many educational opportunities that are reasonable and allow you to stay in one area for several months. <BR> <BR>But if you know you want to live there you probably know this. What areas you prefer? I, like many others, adore Tuscany. But my favorite area is a non-touristy region called the Casentino...not too far from Arezzo. Still part of Toscano. Beautiful mountains, cool in the summer. Someday......

Old Sep 22nd, 1999, 09:53 AM
sera

Nice to see others are so obsessed with Italia. I've been going through the redtape nightmare of applying for Italian citizenship. Have any of you done this?

Old Sep 23rd, 1999, 05:41 AM
Brava

Viva Italia!