Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Dreaming my life away thinking of my next vaca (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/dreaming-my-life-away-thinking-of-my-next-vaca-278572/)

Bearess Dec 9th, 2002 02:44 PM

Dreaming my life away thinking of my next vaca

So it seems I spend all my time thinking about the next trip, often as long as a year away. When I get involved with small talk, at a party for instance, I am bored stiff unless I am conversing about some getaway, little hotel in Lucca, the beach in Villefrance-sur-Mer,etc. Am I crazy or just one of the dissatisfied many?

Barb Dec 9th, 2002 02:47 PM

Oh my, I thought I was the only one who did this. I think my friends and family have just given up trying to have a conversation with me that doesn't include trip plans.

Irene Dec 9th, 2002 03:46 PM

You are definitely not alone. I'm sure everyone I know is sick of hearing about my next vacation....

Ana Dec 9th, 2002 03:55 PM

I do it constantly. I am glad to know I am not alone. I dont live in the &quot;now&quot; very often unless I am in Europe. I live from vacation to vacation. I am constantly planning a trip. I love that. It is almost as fun as actually going. I read tons of travel books and watch travel videos. By the time I go to a new place i know it well. That way I am not wasting precious vacation time figuring out where to go and what to see.<BR>Next year...<BR>Amsterdam, then Spain and Portugal.!!!

scarlett Dec 9th, 2002 05:27 PM

I read about Menton, France in the NY Times a couple of weeks ago, and that is where I am dreaming of right now:) I want to stay in the same hotel , so I can wake up and look out over the water.

Kay Dec 9th, 2002 05:38 PM

I'm sure people think there's something wrong with me, all I think and talk about is travel! I exist for the next trip and even before that's over, I'm planning the next one (or two!). Once when we were coming home from the airport after an overseas holiday, I asked my husband to stop so I could get travel brochures for the next trip!<BR>Just having definite plans for a trip (preferably overseas) makes my whole world seem better. I can read, plan, look at maps etc. I just love it and get totally absorbed.<BR>Good to know there are others are there like me too!<BR>Happy travels, Kay

tess92122 Dec 9th, 2002 05:45 PM

Oh my gosh... I thought I was the only person obsessed with travel. I'm so glad I'm not alone. I'm constantly checking for great airfare deals, getaways, new places to explore. Two of my dearest friends love to travel so we all have an available audience. I'm sure others are either bored with me or jealous, don't know which...

shannon Dec 10th, 2002 07:30 AM

ttt for Bea

tom Dec 10th, 2002 07:32 AM

Any men out there that are obsessed with travel?

Carl Dec 10th, 2002 08:08 AM

Yes I am a man and I am obsesses with travel. It is all I think about. I am always planning new places to go and revisits to previous ones. I consider my job to be a necessary evil, which pays my travel expenses. Travel I love, my job I hate. I need to win the lottery so I can spend all of my time traveling.

sarah Dec 10th, 2002 08:32 AM

so glad you posted this.I feel the same way. I travel every july and find myself completly obsessed with my destination until I go. I am stir crazy and have severe ants in my pants and travel is my cure!

RnR Dec 10th, 2002 08:50 AM

I can empathize, but the only solution is a trip! Maybe some short ones, 2-3 days for now, then a larger one later on.<BR><BR>May I also make a suggestion: if your spouses, SOs, moms, whatever would go along with the idea, why not get with similar minded people and make a one week trip to .... wherever you want to go. Going with strangers with similar tastes isn't illegal, immoral or disloyal.<BR><BR>Anyway, just a thought. Hate to see folks in pain,:).

how Dec 10th, 2002 09:43 AM

If it is not illegal or immoral then how can it be any fun?

curious Dec 10th, 2002 09:51 AM

Carl,<BR> Do you have a travel partner?

xox Dec 10th, 2002 11:47 AM

You are not alone! Last week I had a big health scare and my first thought was that I can't die now there are too many places left in the world I want to see!!!

RnR Dec 10th, 2002 11:56 AM

By all means take your partner on your trips - it can be more fun that way.<BR><BR>But if you hold off going because you're forever waiting for him or her, perhaps that's not your best course.<BR><BR>It can be lots of fun if it's legal and moral - and in fact, for most of us, that is a consideration, whether we travel or bake cookies.<BR><BR>In 2003, why not make a trip - with the loved one, or a friend, or even alone. What could it hurt? Juts an idea.

slim Dec 10th, 2002 01:24 PM

ttt

Julie Dec 10th, 2002 04:01 PM

I absolutely love where I live (Seattle) in the summer and fall and spring when the rain lets up, but when it's raining like it does a lot,I become obcessed with planning my next vacation...right now back to Spain. That's one of the reasons I like this website so much--there are so many other people who love travelling and so much fantastic information!<BR><BR>My husband doesn't share my love of travelling (though he does enjoy the trips once he's there), so it's nice to &quot;talk&quot; to other people who do. <BR><BR>One thing (besides this website) that helps alot when I get antsy, is looking at photo albums of past trips and journals I've keep while on them. Oh, yes, and listening to certain pieces of music (Antrea Bochelli puts me right back in Venice and Cameron takes me to Spain!)

dan Dec 11th, 2002 09:24 AM

ttt

topping Dec 11th, 2002 04:48 PM

great question. maybe we are all disatisfied. you know the grass is always greener. i love to plan my next trip. sometimes if the world is too much with me trying to sleep at night i think about the train from nice to cap ferrat or a walk along the river in florence. much better than counting sheep.